Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

water injection nozzle installed pre MAF. who has done it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 06:24 PM
onevq35de

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Cux350z
yeah i am tucked. Also my threads suck now due to photobucket bullcrap.

You can relieve the pressure before busting the system by pulling the pump fuse and then cranking a few times. When done, put the fuse back in. Turn the ignition on/off a few times (closed system so you wont get all the air out) and then crank.

Car may run a bit rough initially.
Did you relocate your air bag sensor up front? I want to dump my front crash bar so bad it hurts but I'm uneasy about it because that sensor is sticking way out in front of the core support just itching to get triggered.
I see your in SC. Maybe I'll come out there so we can race and I'll show you my...headlights
Old 11-30-2017, 06:32 PM
onevq35de

Originally Posted by bealljk
It could mean a few things ... RC may have been using a very stable fuel (such as 110, e85, etc) where he reached his maximum torque output before fuel knock.

His fuel was so stable that when he added meth/water it didnt matter bc his engine wasnt prone to detonation due to a very high octane rating.

Despite us all having VQs each is different - we're at different climates, different compression ratios, different fuels, different tuning methods, different different different ...

I respect what both Cux & RC have mentioned but at the end of the day you have to experiment with your engine to get the best result.

Edit:
RC Top 50 FI is #8, 864hp/700t at 23psi on E85 ...
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...p-50-list.html

I suspect when RC did this he was using E85 which didnt benefit from meth - is this the case RC?
Well, the dude certainly doesn't need any more power. I see your point. E85 might get in the way? The only known difference is the fuel selection.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:55 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by onevq35de
Did you relocate your air bag sensor up front? I want to dump my front crash bar so bad it hurts but I'm uneasy about it because that sensor is sticking way out in front of the core support just itching to get triggered.
I see your in SC. Maybe I'll come out there so we can race and I'll show you my...headlights
yeah its now mounted on the radiator support.

Well, the dude certainly doesn't need any more power. I see your point. E85 might get in the way? The only known difference is the fuel selection.
Who knows..i still need to get mine back on a dyno and tuned. I may be in for a big disappointment. I do know i had to drop my boost controller open loop output in order to not overboost while on meth.
The following users liked this post:
onevq35de (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 05:25 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

too much is never enough!

I see RC's point, but Im still not sure E85 is for me ... It'd be nice to try it out if it wasn't such an investment...
Old 12-02-2017, 05:16 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I used methanol injection before switching to E85 (so all that testing was on 93 octane). I got rid of my complex set up (full aquamist HFS6) when going to flex fuel.

Methanol injection brought only a small incremental gain in power, really just used for safety and consistency of power output. E85 gains are much more substantial. If you already have 600 or so to the wheels, you've reached the limit of street tire traction. You can invest more to generate more output but acceleration gains will be minimal (on the street).

Last edited by rcdash; 12-02-2017 at 05:21 AM.
bealljk (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 09:01 AM
onevq35de

Ah, so maybe the reason for the small gain is because it was used for safety and consistency and not a power increase. Figured somethings got to give because one guy has success with something and another doesn't? Somethings going on there.
Still trying to get hold of this Rodney cat to get the down-low on pre-maf NA injection. Anyone out there with experience injecting pre-maf w/out a compressor (doubt it), please chime in.
Also, it's been a pleasure conversing with the likes of you gentleman with your bad *** z's.
I'm not worthy!

Last edited by onevq35de; 12-02-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:59 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Ah, so maybe the reason for the small gain is because it was used for safety and consistency and not a power increase. Figured somethings got to give because one guy has success with something and another doesn't? Somethings going on there.
Still trying to get hold of this Rodney cat to get the down-low on pre-maf NA injection. Anyone out there with experience injecting pre-maf w/out a compressor (doubt it), please chime in.
Also, it's been a pleasure conversing with the likes of you gentleman with your bad *** z's.
I'm not worthy!
So let me just clear up that my goal was to look for power increases with methanol injection but I had a hard time proving pre-turbo injection was worthwhile on the dyno.

Post-turbo injection definitely leads to consistent power increases as you can push more boost safely. I just didn’t see it pre-turbo. Part of the reason is that everyone, including the aqua mist engineer recommended not going higher than 3 mm nozzles pre-turbo to avoid damage to the compressor wheels. I believe this limits gains.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:37 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

3mm nozzles are HUGE. The hose i feed mine with is only 4mm.

I think you will not see the temp drop necessarily, just the turbo efficiency (less rpm to make the same boost ) Idk...just thought.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:13 PM
onevq35de

I spoke with Rodney today @ Pro-Meth. Dudes really nice and gave me an ear full. Wish he do so to one of ya'll as I'm compressor-less.
He's help a lot of people with other companies injection kits and really only helps with injector sizing now becuase it requires to much of his time. Understandable. Personally, if I owned abc meth inc. and someone bought a kit from xyz, I'd say "what the hell r u calling me for!"
He said he sees his customers through 100%, from install to trouble shooting. He also told me something I did not want to hear in that n/a injection is basically a waste of time. Minimal benefit. Mustangs, Camaros, they'll use it and tune for race fuel type octane (116 did he say?) because of the water/meth, so more timing. I want it pre-maf to cool the n/a air charge but it didn't sound like that was really his bag so to speak, so I'ma put a little something together for myself sometime soon. Need to find out if the american pony cars are maf and if so, that answers a question I forgot to ask him which is, will the maf survive?
He also told me in a certain drag class, nos guys were bitching because the compressor guys were kicking *** injecting pre-compressor. They got the rules changed. Then they started running post-compressor, but in the volute which still had excellent benefits. Ha. What a bunch of diiiiiiiiiiiiicks. Rather than innovate, the nos guys cried.

Last edited by onevq35de; 12-04-2017 at 02:14 PM.
bealljk (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 02:57 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Dont spray meth or water over the MAF it will cause it to read stupid
BluestreamDE (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 03:11 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Originally Posted by meatbag
what MAF! ditched it.
bealljk (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 05:56 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

maf = gonzo!

CUX - when you installed your nozzles, did you pay much (if any) attention to the angle with respect to the pipe is was being installed on? Meaning - are the nozzles perpendicular to flow and the nozzles atomizing well enough that the injection angle is irrelevant? or did you try to make that angle acute with respect to the flow?

did the meth install make your build page?

Last edited by bealljk; 12-04-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:36 PM
onevq35de

Originally Posted by meatbag
You know from experience? Please share, ye bag o'meat.
I think most would assume so, but from what I've gathered so far, it doesn't sound like it, at least regarding water. Meth and alchy, yes, I agree, but only because Rodney told me so and I know no better. A fine misting of water should be ok. It'll be more beneficial on the h.c. engine I'd like to move onto sooner rather than later.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:49 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

VQ - I'd tend to error on the side of caution and heed meatbags advice ... Seeing how influential the MAF is on the ECU and how fast things can go wrong.

If it was me, I'd pre-maf spray the smallest possible amount, be very cautious not to overspray, and monitor the cars performance.

I'd hate to see you overspray, misguide/confuse the ECU and pop your engine in the name of lower IAT.

my 2cents
Old 12-04-2017, 07:22 PM
onevq35de

Made a 4" intake. It makes power. When I made it, I installed it knowing the fx wouldn't run. It started it and it ran for a few seconds then died. Took it off, went to my tuner, he measured, tuned and all was well. If the maf doesn't like the mist, it should end on a similar note.
For sure, small amount. I'd like to replicate how cool it feels with a mister and fan on a hot day. Makes a huge difference and cools ya down so it should with the engine's iat's as well.
I did have a little water injection setup and ran through 2 quarts of 50/50 distilled water & alchy in 78 miles on the highway. Bet that cleaned out the chambers.

Last edited by onevq35de; 12-04-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:28 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

If the maf doesn't like the mist, it should end on a similar note.
My fear would be that the MAF acts in a manner inconsistent with the how the ECU is controlling the engine and your engine gets the *** end of it...

I know enough to know that I dont know enough...

that's all I'm saying ...

but do it, do it gingerly, ease in to it, and let us know how it goes.
onevq35de (12-07-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 02:42 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Originally Posted by bealljk
maf = gonzo!

CUX - when you installed your nozzles, did you pay much (if any) attention to the angle with respect to the pipe is was being installed on? Meaning - are the nozzles perpendicular to flow and the nozzles atomizing well enough that the injection angle is irrelevant? or did you try to make that angle acute with respect to the flow?

did the meth install make your build page?

mine are mounted in the top of my filters and spray down into the pipe.
onevq35de (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 06:01 PM
onevq35de

Originally Posted by Cux350z
mine are mounted in the top of my filters and spray down into the pipe.
Got any photos or are the ones on the wire tuck thread still relevant? My thoughts were to get hold of a reliable pump that can continuously spray and the finest of fine nozzles. Set the pump up to come on with the starter and put the nozzle in the rubber end-cap on the opposite end of the filter from the intake pipe and aim it at the t.b.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:11 AM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You know from experience? Please share, ye bag o'meat.
I think most would assume so, but from what I've gathered so far, it doesn't sound like it, at least regarding water. Meth and alchy, yes, I agree, but only because Rodney told me so and I know no better. A fine misting of water should be ok. It'll be more beneficial on the h.c. engine I'd like to move onto sooner rather than later.
He's right that it will make your maf read very wrong.

The hotwire in the MAF acts like a wheatstone bridge to control an opamp circuit that drives current through the wire. It's tuned for a specific temperature (and thus, resistance), since the resistance of the wire changes with temperature. When the resistance of that wire changes due to being cooled by airflow, this unbalances the wheatstone bridge and the opamp circuit, which forces more current through the wire to heat it back up to the equilibrium temperature. Wire current is measured as voltage across a sense resistor which is then amplified into a voltage signal to the ECU.

The phase transition from liquid to gas absorbs a huge amount of energy (which is why we like chemical intercooling). Any liquid that is not completely vaporized before reaching the hotwire will cause it to cool substantially, drastically affecting readings to the ECU. If the temperature delta is fast and or large enough, it could destroy the sensor.

They're pretty robust and designed to survive quite a bit of abuse, but injecting liquid in front of it is a VERY bad idea. Pre-compressor injection is a different story because the compressor vaporizes the liquid completely (or if it doesn't, anything that isn't vaporized drops out in the intercooler). The mustang guys have been doing this for decades (as I'm sure Rodney told you).

Last edited by kilogram; 12-08-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:05 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Got any photos or are the ones on the wire tuck thread still relevant? My thoughts were to get hold of a reliable pump that can continuously spray and the finest of fine nozzles. Set the pump up to come on with the starter and put the nozzle in the rubber end-cap on the opposite end of the filter from the intake pipe and aim it at the t.b.
probably not in the wire tuck thread. Its kinda a secret too

You have the same idea though.

I will probably be moving mine in the future to be closer to the turbo inlet.

Quick Reply: water injection nozzle installed pre MAF. who has done it?