Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

How safe is reving to 7000rpm with a stock cylinder head/valve train????

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I could be wrong, but I recall a tuner telling me that higher boost, could cause the valves to float with stock valve springs, but also with higher rpm than stock. Of course he could have meant only a marginal amount in regards to the boost and really the rpm affect it more.

If Im off, hook me up! I apologize we all learn from time to time...

edit-I started doing reading, and the answers are very mixed. Many experiences with higher boost apps like DSM's (40+psi) encountering float at rpms they dont at lower boost, but also explanations that seem to agree with kartkid.

Any input from the more knowledgable would be good...

Last edited by Alberto; 10-09-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:24 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kartkid
Why? FI has no effect on Valve springs RPMs are RPMs
Valve float will occur at a given rpm due to spring sag
and tension no matter if it is FI or NA on the same motor.
+1

the bike engines i built for a local race team aren't FI engines and we have had instances at valve float. The cams are spinning too high of an rpm for the spring rates and the spring doesn't have time to keep the tappets in contact with the cams. Basically the tappet is bouncing off the cams which causes the valves to "float" open and stay open.

These motors are turning 17k rpms but a lot of the valve float is noted on a bad downshift. Rev limiters only work when the ignition is going, so when you're on decel and drop down too hard in the gears the motor can actually be forced to rotate faster than the rev limiter and this is where we will experience valve float and then a valve into piston destruction.