Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Generally, what's more noticable in a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:37 PM
usingthejohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanteni
Just get a temporary address or a buddy in AZ or NV, and get a licence plate in that state. Cops won't be able to bother you when your car is registered in that state.
correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that running an out of state plate won't make you "invisible" to cops; rather it will do the opposite. Just because you have a NV plate in Cali or whatnot doesn't make you immune to that state's laws. So if you have a turbo'd car w/ NV plates in Ca, you can still get pulled over, since you were operating said vehicle within the state of Ca...???
Old 12-15-2010, 03:46 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya i enjoyed 200whp at 4500 rpms LOL!

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
and torque is not entirely going to get you off the line faster..torque will cause more wheelspin for one
Old 12-15-2010, 06:00 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by usingthejohn
correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that running an out of state plate won't make you "invisible" to cops; rather it will do the opposite. Just because you have a NV plate in Cali or whatnot doesn't make you immune to that state's laws. So if you have a turbo'd car w/ NV plates in Ca, you can still get pulled over, since you were operating said vehicle within the state of Ca...???
nope, your vehicle has to conform to state laws that it is plated in. They can't give you a ticket for a mechanical issue when you're car is registered and driven in another state.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:08 PM
ToastZ

More torque.

With that said, make sure the car is tuned properly for a daily driver by someone that knows what that means, for example the pain in the *** fuel cut when you lift off the throttle at slow speeds, like in a parking lot, slow traffic, etc

Those that have driven a boosted vq35 in daily traffic know What I speak of.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:37 PM
usingthejohn

Originally Posted by binder
nope, your vehicle has to conform to state laws that it is plated in. They can't give you a ticket for a mechanical issue when you're car is registered and driven in another state.
so if you register a car in Nevada, but you're driving in California, they can't give tickets regarding CARB, etc? If this is true, i'll have to look into this
Old 12-15-2010, 09:17 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hp is a ficticious number. so youd feel more torque...over time lol
Old 12-16-2010, 07:00 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by usingthejohn
so if you register a car in Nevada, but you're driving in California, they can't give tickets regarding CARB, etc? If this is true, i'll have to look into this
exactly

I'm from indiana and still own my house there so all my vehicles are plated in indiana. I live in st louis for school. They have emissions and tint laws here. Indiana does not. I wouldn't come close to passing emissions on my car and my tint is 5% so i would get tickets for that. Since that's a mechanical thing it would be impossible to look up the laws and adjust my car for every state that i happen to drive through.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:18 AM
ESP350Z

Originally Posted by mazymus
hmm, interesting. i wonder how that works if your license is cali.
so if you get pulled over w/ cali license and NV plate, they'll let you go? i thought they forced you to get registered at the state you were at (or maybe i'm thinking about insurance wanting you to be registered in the state you live)
food for thought, love to hear more about this
the kicker with out of state PO boxes is when you have been stopped/cited a few times to register your car in CA and then the DMV turns it over to CHP for a foreign registration investigation. An officer from your local office will swing by your CA drivers license address a few times the next few weeks after and document sightings of your vehicle parked there. Then you get hit with a fine and reg fees and possibly will require a smog for CA registration. I know a few may jump in on this and say im wrong but, thats the meat of what happens. In my opinion the hassle isn't worth the risk-- your time and money
If for instance you have a NV plate and a CA license, dmv could argue that your state of residency is CA, because you are only supposed be licensed in one state at a time and you must be CA licensed within 10 days of residency or if taking up work within the state.
The only real way that I'm aware of registering out of state that you can get away with is if the car is registered to a family member that lives out of state with a street address. Your CA license covers you legally driving the car in CA and your family members name on the out of state registration easily explains why you have the car-they loaned it to you right? If however that family member is ran by name, birthdate/approximate age and is found to have a CA license you lose and California gladly cashes your check

Last edited by ESP350Z; 01-27-2011 at 05:45 AM. Reason: added content
Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ToastZ
More torque.

With that said, make sure the car is tuned properly for a daily driver by someone that knows what that means, for example the pain in the *** fuel cut when you lift off the throttle at slow speeds, like in a parking lot, slow traffic, etc

Those that have driven a boosted vq35 in daily traffic with a **** tune know What I speak of.
I know what you mean, but I had to fix the last sentence...Not everyone has/had a **** tune. But yea, there are alot of so called tuners out there putting out garbage on a daily basis.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:57 AM
m3inaz

Originally Posted by ESP350Z
the kicker with out of state PO boxes is when you have been stopped/cited a few times to register your car in CA and then the DMV turns it over to CHP for a foreign registration investigation. An officer from your local office will swing by your CA drivers license address a few times the next few weeks after and document sightings of your vehicle parked there. Then you get hit with a fine and reg fees and possibly will require a smog for CA registration. I know a few may jump in on this and say im wrong but, thats the meat of what happens. In my opinion the hassle isn't worth the risk-- your time and money
If for instance you have a NV plate and a CA license, dmv could argue that your state of residency is CA, because you are only supposed be licensed in one state at a time and you must be CA licensed within 10 days of residency or if taking up work within the state.
The only real way that I'm aware of registering out of state that you can get away with is if the car is registered to a family member that lives out of state with a street address. Your CA license covers you legally driving the car in CA and your family members name on the out of state registration easily explains why you have the car-they loaned it to you right? If however that family member is ran by name, birthdate/approximate age and is found to have a CA license you lose and California gladly cashes your check

And that is why i don't live in ****** *** California anymore... Bunch of liberal communist ******,..
Old 01-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mazymus
came to revisit this threat. just ordered vortech, will run w/ 3.33 for a bit to get used to it, and will upgrade the pulley and retune the ss box and go from there! thanks all
ditch the SS box and get a uprev
Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RE HP vs Torque, I read the thread and it seems that some may be confused about torque and hp:

I think it has been stated already, but it is worth repeating. HP and Torque are directly related for a given rpm:

HP = (Torque x RPM)/5252

So, if the torque increases at a particular rpm, so too will the HP.

I think some people are referring to the difference between peak torque and peak HP. If build A has higher peak torque than build B, but build B has higher peak HP, this usually means that build A's peak torque is happening at a lower rpm that build B's and/or build A's torque is falling off as rpms increase. This may be due to a restrictive turbine, exhaust, and/or cam selection.

Anyway, the component selections should be optimized for the intended purpose. For my build, I have selected 0.64 turbine housings to get the turbos to spool faster, which means that I will have faster turbo spoolup, but at the sacrifice of high rpm torque/HP. To me, this will be more fun on the street. If my car were a track only car, I would have used turbine housings with a 0.86 A/R - more turbo lag but great on the track if you keep the motor running in the upper rpm range.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:44 PM
ESP350Z

Originally Posted by m3inaz
And that is why i don't live in ****** *** California anymore... Bunch of liberal communist ******,..
My thoughts exactly. If it passes the sniffer why should they care
Old 01-27-2011, 08:03 PM
bb319675

Originally Posted by binder
"Horsepower sells cars; Torque wins races" -Carol Shelby
+1