Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Technical Notice To 350z Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003 | 04:48 AM
ravaz

Old 12-05-2003 | 07:47 AM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
no, it doesn't really help.........I mean, you own a frickin' Techtom programmer......can you please share with the class why you're so willing to hack into everyone elses ECMs, free of charge, but not your own?.....it doesn't make sense......
I am using the same flash program in my 350Z that I use for my customers supercharged 350Z's.

....you'll change your spark plugs every 5K-10K miles, for safety........you'll change your oil to full synthetic every 2500 miles, for safety.......another $1000 for the EGT and the Wideband O2, for safety...
The gauges and expensive/top notch wideband 02 meter were installed (among other tests) to monitor the motor and make sure everything was well before I programmed any customer's car.

For what its worth, I strongly recommended to everyone who bought a supercharger from us to purchase the boost and egt gauge to help ensure best reliability. Especially if they'd be racing at the track or racing their car at excess speeds.

Out of the 11/12 kits we've installed here at AAM, we have not had any engine reliability problems with any kit we installed on a customers vehicles who did not excessively race or drive extremely harsh their vehicle (ie. extended top speed style driving/racing, extreme track competition). These kits offer a great power gain, and it is well established that in a racing competition breaking parts is a big part of most competitive motorsports.

One huge problem the aftermarket performance industry has with products like a supercharger kit is that it is more involved that the nuts and bolts that consist of the kit. I have talked to two people with ATI Kits on the phone that drove their car in-boost before they had their EFMU tuned. People don't like to always say they made this simple mistake, but I was able to help them because I had engouh experience to know their car was cutting out between 3-4Krpm under boost because when the kits first came out, the EFMU's were set so rich the car wouldn't drive in boost past 3,500 rpm because of the amount of fuel the EFMU was dumping into the motor. I strongly suggested to one of those guys that he have his car "re-dynoed". When I spoke to him the week after he had horsepower numbers from his dyno session and a great driving car.

Small oversights or problems like those can lead to catrostophies if not caught and fixed. I think this, in part, might play a factor with some of the problems people have been expressing.

My .02 (hopefully it makes sense).

Last edited by Mike@Altered; 12-05-2003 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2003 | 10:40 AM
daking350
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike@Altered

The gauges and expensive/top notch wideband 02 meter were installed (among other tests) to monitor the motor and make sure everything was well before I programmed any customer's car. For what its worth, I strongly recommended to everyone who bought a supercharger from us to purchase the boost and egt gauge to help ensure best reliability. Especially if they'dbe racing at the track or racing their car at excess speeds.

Will the EGT guage really give you that much notice before you blow your engine that you were detonating???I think not, especially at high speeds...You have like a fraction of a second from detonation to catostrophic failure. So that is just suggeting your customers buy a $200+ guage from you and have it installed..The bottom line is a properly tuned vehicle should NOT detonate!!period...

[QUOTE]Out of the 11/12 kits we've installed here at AAM, we have not had any engine reliability problems with any kit we installed on a customers vehicles who did not neglect their vehicle (ie. extended top speed style driving/racing, extreme track competition, etc.). These kits offer a great power gain, and it is well established that in a racing competition breaking parts is a big part of most competitive motorsports.[QUOTE]

please explain how a car with only 300 miles on sice the Supercharger install can be NEGLECTED???Isnt the kit designed to make the car GO FAST??Oh I get it,its for looks right...Dont really drive at high speeds or it will break...
If RAVAZ's vehicle was NEGLECTED then why did you guys go ahead with the install? A simple leak down test or compression test would have told you if there was an internal problem to begin with..Man you really sound ignorant..I dont care how many COOKIE CUTTER type fast cars you built

[QUOTE]One huge problem the aftermarket performance industry has with products like a supercharger kit is that it is more involved that the nuts and bolts that consist of the kit. I have talked to two people with ATI Kits on the phone that drove their car in-boost before they had their EFMU tuned. People don't like to always say they made this simple mistake, but I was able to help them because I had engouh experience to know their car was cutting out between 3-4Krpm under boost because when the kits first came out, the EFMU's were set so rich the car wouldn't drive in boost past 3,500 rpm because of the amount of fuel the EFMU was dumping into the motor. I strongly suggested to one of those guys that he have his car "re-dynoed". When I spoke to him the week after he had horsepower numbers from his dyno session and a great driving car.

Small oversights or problems like those can lead to catrostophies if not caught and fixed. I think this, in part, might play a factor with some of the problems people have been expressing.[QUOTE]

Then given your above comment...What is your excuse for Ravaz blowing his engine 300 miles after a PROFESSIONAL INSTALL AND TUNE...Is this maybe one of those SMALL OVERSIGHTS that you refer to in your above statement, which may cause a CATOSTROPHIC FAILURE???I know if it was my car you guys FUGGED up I would be making frequent personal visits to your shop during off hours...

My .02 (hopefully it makes sense).
Actually I think your .02 on this site is worth about the same as a Ethiopian Buffet Ticket...

Last edited by daking350; 12-05-2003 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-05-2003 | 11:00 AM
ravaz

Originally posted by Mike@Altered
For what its worth, I strongly recommended to everyone who bought a supercharger from us to purchase the boost and egt gauge to help ensure best reliability.
I had this on my car and it didn't tell me anything valuable when my engine was going to blow, right before or after. I hit the memory button and the peak was what the normal should have been.....

Out of the 11/12 kits we've installed here at AAM, we have not had any engine reliability problems with any kit we installed on a customers vehicles who did not race or drive extremely harsh their vehicle (ie. extended top speed style driving/racing, extreme track competition, etc.). These kits offer a great power gain, and it is well established that in a racing competition breaking parts is a big part of most competitive motorsports.
I'm curious with this statement. Who's car are you refering to that blew? Topics II or my car, being the 1 car that you guys installed, tuned and blew up? Because I sure wasn't racing it when mine blew......... And I sure did pick my up car from you guys and it was f*cked up when I started it and it sure was just sitting on the dyno when I got there, meaning NO ONE TOOK IT OUT ON THE STREET TO SEE HOW IT DROVE. This will probably go unanswered like that email I wrote you and other people at your shop, and phone calls that I just sat and waited, on hold for 10-20 minutes at a time. You guys know my car was screwed when I picked it up and tried to rush me out of there and no one even spoke to me about the install. Hell, I told Spencer before I pulled out of there that something is up and he said "Nah, it's fine it's just the Supercharger at low rpm's". Bullsh*t. You know your shop screwed up, but wouldn't own up to it. And keep trying to defend yourself when everyone talks to you about my problem, you tell them I was racing at high speeds of 150mph+ for extended periods of time, and I abused my car, yeah right, sure....... You guys don't even have your stories straight. Sh*t, your dad tried to tell me when I went to pick my car up that I had pullies on my car and other things on my car and that I abused it, that's why my car was stock except for exhaust and rims, lol.

Small oversights or problems like those can lead to catrostophies if not caught and fixed. I think this, in part, might play a factor with some of the problems people have been expressing.
I don't even think I'm going to answer you on this one.. You don't want me to.. BTW, how's my block?..........

Last edited by ravaz; 12-05-2003 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-05-2003 | 11:08 AM
AndyB

Default of course

as you know.....ATI doesn't do the question and answer thing......look at their posts.......they don't reply to anybody.......they spout nice words about how everything else is to blame for their product not working properly.......sometimes they throw in a statement that says they don't point fingers.......and then they leave

After the response they got to this INFORMATIVE post I would say they are smart for not answering question.

Yikes. Rough crowd.
Old 12-05-2003 | 11:35 AM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Default Re: of course

Originally posted by AndyB
After the response they got to this INFORMATIVE post I would say they are smart for not answering question.

Yikes. Rough crowd.
I agree.. I think I am going to follow ATI's lead for the time being. This is a public forum and there is only so much I can say about any situation with any particular vehicle (no matter how well it hurts or helps anyones case). I hope others can see that and respect that. It can be hard to be on this side of the table in this type of business, but our good and long term customers make everything well worth it!

To those who have a supercharger on their 350Z and have any questions concerning reliability or recommendations they can do to help ensure their setup is optimal to run reliabily well into the future, drop me an e-mail MikeM@alteredatmosphere.com .

Thanks,
Old 12-05-2003 | 11:52 AM
ravaz

Default Re: Re: of course

I agree.. I think I am going to follow ATI's lead for the time being. This is a public forum and there is only so much I can say about any situation with any particular vehicle (no matter how well it hurts or helps anyones case). I hope others can see that and respect that. It can be hard to be on this side of the table in this type of business, but our good and long term customers make everything well worth it!
Please, tell me something good about my situation with you guys, maybe it might help here....

To those who have a supercharger on their 350Z and have any questions concerning reliability or recommendations they can do to help ensure their setup is optimal to run reliabily well into the future, drop me an e-mail MikeM@alteredatmosphere.com .
Well, I can tell you right now, only way my car will be reliable now and "well into the future", would be NOT to take it to your shop, that's for sure. What long term customers do you have? Everytime I've gone to your shop, someone is pissed off, complaining etc.. When I mention your shop name to people (not on this board), in person and out of your state they tell me I'm crazy for bringing it there. Your shops reputation has gone down south. I wonder why........ BTW how's my block? I emailed your service manager about it and never got a response... People, the only way this guy is going to respond to your e-mails is if he is going to benefit financially somehow from it. I and others have sent e-mails and not gotten responses from him. I'll give you credit for one thing, you guys bent me over and took me for a long ride, but you probably would like that sort of thing

-Bill

Last edited by ravaz; 12-05-2003 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-05-2003 | 12:23 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

I agree.. I think I am going to follow ATI's lead for the time being.
You should, you're as much of a snake as ATI is

Dude secretly PM's everybody with deals about superchargers so he can steal the business from the site sponsors, and now tries to talk like he's this stand-up businessman
Old 12-05-2003 | 02:14 PM
N4Spd

Altered, I think your time is best spent selling to other cars
at another forum. Your reputation here is shot.

It doesn't help when you say things like "Out of the 11/12 kits
we've installed here at AAM, we have not had any engine
reliability problems"... and yet both ravaz and TopicsII have had
problems with your shop's install.

too little, too late, and not helping...

Thanks,
Old 12-05-2003 | 06:53 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Sticky by Proxy

Click here if your Procharger has caused you problems
Old 12-05-2003 | 08:45 PM
350Zzzz
Professional
Premier Member

ATI,

Can I expect to get a yea or nay to my questions

Thanks
G
Old 12-05-2003 | 09:06 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19
Premier Member

Dude secretly PM's everybody with deals about superchargers so he can steal the business from the site sponsors, and now tries to talk like he's this stand-up businessman
EJ: Are your referring to PMs last summer about purchasing the Procharger? If so, in all fairness, there were NO site sponsors selling ANY superchargers (or ANY FI product) at the time so it's not like AA was "stealing" business as you said. They were simply letting those of us who had expressed interest know about them selling the SCer.

Again, I don't want to get into another battle with you guys who have had problems. I have thought about this long and hard and as they say "after further review" I would more than likely be just as mad as you are if I was having any trouble.

The fact is, however, that I have had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. In my case, Mike and AA have done an excellent job and I absolutely LOVE my Procharger kit.

Now, that is not to say that I don't still have this secret fear of blowing my engine, in light of all the posts of the "vocal minority" who have had trouble. I therefore am attempting to remedy this by installing some further safeguards on my car to protect me from any damage.

Again, I don't begrudge those who have had trouble, their "day in court" nor their right to complain. But by the same token, you have to respect the fact that I (and most others with this kit) love it and have had NO problems.
Old 12-05-2003 | 09:20 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Avalon Racing had it
Old 12-06-2003 | 06:25 AM
ravaz

There were more companies too on this board that had the kit for sale too.
Old 12-06-2003 | 07:12 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19
Premier Member

I thought they came in a little later than AA though. They (AA) first started talking about it in like June or July I think.
Old 12-06-2003 | 07:15 AM
ravaz

I think superchargersonline had it going too at the time, AA just took orders saying they could get them but really couldn't get them for like another month or whatever it was. I know my a*s waited for them to get it and when they finally scheduled me, they kept pushing me back and my car was never ready when they said it would be. Now how many times did that happen to the people that got their install done at AA? Probably to everyone.
Old 12-06-2003 | 07:43 AM
12SecZ

Again, I don't want to get into another battle with you guys who have had problems.
Then why do you keep posting untrues?

3 Vendors had it and he under cut them. It was a well known fact that it was like 5500.00 at superchargersonline and he was selling them for 4900.00 in private PM's man. He got me and EJ!

AAM just PM'd me yesterday and asked me to edit my posts from the last 2 days and keep everything private when I am the one who urged Victor several times over and over at Mike's obsessive insisentance to make him a Sponsor. Now that he is he wants to have a good business but he built his business foundation on sand not rock. Is that not obviuos or what man? I don't have to edit anything, it's called the 1st Ammendant and it's all true.

People should be held accountable for their actions in all areas of life. I do not know his situation with his cars he tuned but to tell me (Del350) to "make an appointment) when he is 5k miles away is luducrous. He promished ECU flashed and several months later and 3 blown engines later he hasn't flashed any of them!
Old 12-06-2003 | 10:16 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19
Premier Member

3 Vendors had it and he under cut them. It was a well known fact that it was like 5500.00 at superchargersonline and he was selling them for 4900.00 in private PM's man. He got me and EJ!
He "got" me too but I'm still happy with the kit. Also, was Superchargersonline a vendor/sponsor here at that time? I'm not saying they weren't because I don't remember.

12sec. You speak of "First Amendment" rights. Doesn't Mike have the "First Amendment right" to PM people and tell them about his deal? Don't get me wrong, I think your mention of the First Amendment here is ludicrous but I was only using your terms.

There is no rule as far as I know (maybe Vic can correct me here) that says someone can't PRIVATELY inform members of something he/she is selling, even if they aren't vendors. As long as they don't post PUBLIC threads about it I would think it was within the rules.
Old 12-06-2003 | 12:17 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
He "got" me too but I'm still happy with the kit. Also, was Superchargersonline a vendor/sponsor here at that time? I'm not saying they weren't because I don't remember.

12sec. You speak of "First Amendment" rights. Doesn't Mike have the "First Amendment right" to PM people and tell them about his deal? Don't get me wrong, I think your mention of the First Amendment here is ludicrous but I was only using your terms.

There is no rule as far as I know (maybe Vic can correct me here) that says someone can't PRIVATELY inform members of something he/she is selling, even if they aren't vendors. As long as they don't post PUBLIC threads about it I would think it was within the rules.
Hey doc, Not to flame, but for a man who is a doctor you really don't pay attention to detail.. do you??? I think 12secZ is only saying that Mike's practices were unethical and a bit on the slithery side if you know what I mean.He never once said that mike broke any kind of forum rules, merely that he was not to trustworthy and would have done anything to sell prochargers that he did not even have for several months.
I can appreciate the fact that you were a pioneer in getting your procharger early on, but just because you did not experience any problems YET, does not mean that others did not, or wont...I would think that maybee you do not drive your car as hard as some others here do, so this may be the reason why you are trouble free as to date...
And I am just curious Doc, if god forbid you blew your engine at this point, who would you blame??The installer/tuner or the product manufacturer??Or yourself??
Old 12-06-2003 | 04:12 PM
12SecZ

The Good with the Bad....

In Mike's defense, yeah we all wanted the friggen thing it was the biggest power increaser we had read about in 6 months and we were excited, of course.

And the 4900.00 was including a GReddy EGT (which he insisted was needed, and was a good call, it is) and shipping. So yeah I got a good deal and yeah I like good deals. Yes it has been educational too I have learned nore than I wanted to about the risks of FI ha-ha and how to avoid problems (the hardway.) I graduated from the school of *boom* to be blown ok?

He also took late night phone calls from me on his personal cell phone sometimes at 1am and he also put major pressure on ATI to get my kit out. As a Vendor so would I though that is my job.

I would like some help and support **now** though, people to stand behind their product after it is installed bot before and during but AFTER. Will they, that is what we all want to know. Will they answer my question now? I have questions about my A5T will anyone answer them? That is not asking much. You know who has stood behind my after market FI kit more than anyone in this entire affair? My Nissan dealer! Kudo's to them! That is how a good Company/Vendor/Dealer should be. Support before during and after the sale. I will give them a chance and stop posting and see how this goes. I have a question about my ATI 350Z A5T. Will they answer me in PM? Let's see.

Quick Reply: Technical Notice To 350z Owners