Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Technical Notice To 350z Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 05:59 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Me too, sent emails and letters, but never got a reply

Originally posted by ravaz
I hate to even respond to anything ATI related anymore being that everyone thinks that I work for them etc..... But...
What's wrong with the intercooler that ATI provides with the kit? It's a 3 core intercooler and is more then enough for what everyone is currently pushing. Also, what's wrong with the by pass valve? It does the job. Not saying it's the best in the world, but are you saying it isn't reliable? And yeah you can replace it..
Here, you tell me

Old 12-06-2003, 06:01 PM
daking350
Banned

Default Re: Re: Re: Me too, sent emails and letters, but never got a reply

Originally posted by 350Zzzz
Here, you tell me

I dont get it???
Old 12-06-2003, 07:42 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Me too, sent emails and letters, but never got a reply

Originally posted by daking350
I dont get it???
Old 12-06-2003, 07:44 PM
ravaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

??? You don't like the way it looks or something? You saying its not secure enough?
Old 12-07-2003, 06:18 AM
350Zzzz
Professional

I suppose that if you don’t see the vast difference in design, and detect the choice design; then you don't have a problem.

But obviously if you've suffered the issues that I did, you'll then see the problem I am making reference to.

In any event, it is one of the upgraded modifications, amongst other things that I seek from ATI, is to improve the plumbing and installation design.

And, definitely a better Fuel Management System is due; a larger and more efficient fuel pump to replace the stock, maybe even a FPR, larger injectors, ya-da, ya-da.

Still waiting for ATI's response to the questions I have

G
Old 12-07-2003, 08:47 AM
GaryK

I'm confused. What exactly is your problem with the ATI intercooler? I really don't think you have any major issues there, the intercooler itself is more than adequate even at boost levels higher than the kit is set up for. The piping is a tight fit, but it can be dealt with by tweaking the position/angles of the piping.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:57 AM
daking350
Banned

Well my piping does bulge my wheel well and no matter how I position it....Still rubs And the bottom skid plate does not fit back on properly..So yes I agree with Gerald that the kit needs alot more tweaking..
Old 12-07-2003, 10:29 AM
350Zzzz
Professional

Originally posted by GaryK
I'm confused. What exactly is your problem with the ATI intercooler? I really don't think you have any major issues there, the intercooler itself is more than adequate even at boost levels higher than the kit is set up for. The piping is a tight fit, but it can be dealt with by tweaking the position/angles of the piping.
It may not be an issue to you but sloppy designs are major issues to me.

The mounting brackets......man......just one of the many things I find sloppily done; a slap stick job with not much thought or planning.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:17 AM
ravaz

Sloppy design? When did you get your kit? Just curious..
Old 12-07-2003, 01:00 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Does it really matter, or will it make a difference when the unit was manufactured; when you have to go cutting and trimming into the frame and body to make it fit.

Then you find out that some compressors don't need cutting into the frame to fit but some do, which is a sign of inconsistency, in my book a sure sign of sloppiness.

And, BTW, a projectile found its way through the cut-outs underneath, ricocheted within the engine compartment and nicked the radiator causing a massive coolant leak. You figure out the cost of the flatbed, a new radiator, uninstall/install and my entire day wasted.

If that should happen to you I suppose you’d be more partial towards detail.

In any event, providing an upgrade path and detailing options will only serve for better business sense; considering the competition fiercely launching; as we speak.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:05 PM
daking350
Banned

Well I for one am waiting for Vortech to offer a buy back program for ATI owners to swithc over to Vortech...That would be a crazy insane marketing plan and really kick ATI in the NUTZ for future sales!!
Old 12-07-2003, 01:55 PM
whosdady

Don't hold your breath Daking350.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:12 PM
GaryK

Then you find out that some compressors don't need cutting into the frame to fit but some do, which is a sign of inconsistency, in my book a sure sign of sloppiness.

The rest of your post is your opinion, and I cannot argue with that. But, the inconsistency you're talking about with the compressor mounting has a lot to do with the car itself. The mounting brackets and the compressors are consistent, but each car is a little different and when that is combined with the tight fit of this kit, they can't all fit perfectly. Even then, I'd be surprised if there was anybody, assuming the kit is installed correctly, that had to cut either the frame or the body to make it fit. As far as the packaging goes, I thought ATI did a pretty good job of making this a bolt on kit.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:46 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by GaryK
The rest of your post is your opinion, and I cannot argue with that. But, the inconsistency you're talking about with the compressor mounting has a lot to do with the car itself. The mounting brackets and the compressors are consistent, but each car is a little different and when that is combined with the tight fit of this kit, they can't all fit perfectly. Even then, I'd be surprised if there was anybody, assuming the kit is installed correctly, that had to cut either the frame or the body to make it fit. As far as the packaging goes, I thought ATI did a pretty good job of making this a bolt on kit.

I would have to disagree..The tolerances are WAYYYYY to close on this kit and 3 out of 4 people I know had to bend the pinch weld to make the thing fit without vibrating!!!Thats not good design if you ask me..
Old 12-07-2003, 04:12 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

The rest of your post is your opinion, and I cannot argue with that
Tell me, which particular statement in my post is simply just an opinion.

But, the inconsistency you're talking about with the compressor mounting has a lot to do with the car itself. The mounting brackets and the compressors are consistent, but each car is a little different and when that is combined with the tight fit of this kit, they can't all fit perfectly.
And, I suppose your reference to “mounting brackets” was directed to the intercooler, as that was the only time in my post that I made that reference; question is, did you look at the intercooler mounting brackets by Vortech.

Obviously, with ATI’s bracket design, it’ll probably be capable of more varied applications.

I can safely say that with ATI’s experience in aftermarket SC would afford them the invaluable knowledge that each 350Z may be slightly different, hence requiring angle adjustment of the compressor for best fit.

Even then, I'd be surprised if there was anybody, assuming the kit is installed correctly, that had to cut either the frame or the body to make it fit. As far as the packaging goes, I thought ATI did a pretty good job of making this a bolt on kit.
You may be right, the compressor seems to be well made and in my persona opinion is capable of at least 30 lbs of boost. And, I am partial to the centrifugal design.

And, that the entire industry were not well prepared to understand the installation or usage needs.

But my point again, the plumbing design could be contoured to fit, as we have clearly witness the varied plumbing design of different SC and twin turbo models; clearly indicating the unlimited possibilities for plumbing design.

And, if you’ve had enough experience with modifications you’d understand that not many designs come out 100% in the first production run. But, with revisions, customer feedback and extensive R & D, in theory, the application and design is expected to improve; which relates to upgrades; this is a fact whether it be cars, computers, software, etc.

Upgradability in ATI’s own words/claims. That is precisely what I am suggesting to ATI, improve on what you’ve started, or else you’ll lose the market. Nothing personal, GaryK

Last edited by 350Zzzz; 12-07-2003 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:51 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

ATI is never going to make any changes to their kit......take a look at this letter they sent the BBB......although they may say one thing while their here, to the public they say something totally different.......according to their Sales Director......they haven't had any problems with their kit at all.......read it for yourself.......and check out the date.....11/26/03....5 days after their "technical notice" to us

Link to ATI's letter to the BBB about me and their Procharger
Old 12-07-2003, 05:01 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

And I am just curious Doc, if god forbid you blew your engine at this point, who would you blame??The installer/tuner or the product manufacturer??Or yourself??
Probably a little of everything but to really honest with you, I think I'd have to blame myself the most. I was the one who wanted this kit when I did. BEFORE ATI had the chance to "perfect" it if you will. By the same token, we ALL did the same thing with our cars. We wanted the Nissan 350Z. We wanted it BEFORE they got the chance to work out the "bugs". And we got what we wanted. That's what happens when you buy a "first run" car. IMO, that's what you get when you buy a "first run" supercharger.

Nissan has (or hopefully will) correct the tire feathering, the bouncy suspension, the tranny quirks, the seatbelt rattles, the Nav door problems etc etc etc in the future versions of the 350Z.

ATI will most likely correct the problems with their kit as well in future releases. Nissan isn't going to retroactively give you a fix on your 03 car and neither will ATI. You all keep saying that we are doing ATI's R&D for them. You are all CORRECT! We are! BUT, this is the way it's gonna be for ANY purchace of ANY product that is new and essentially untested on the open market.

Maybe it's just me. I guess I am just sick and tired of the "I'm a victim" mentality in this country. No one ever wants to take the responsibility anymore. It's always someone else's fault. Do you guys also sue the cigarette companies for your lung disease and sue McDonalds if you are fat???
Old 12-07-2003, 05:42 PM
GaryK

And, I suppose your reference to “mounting brackets” was directed to the intercooler, as that was the only time in my post that I made that reference; question is, did you look at the intercooler mounting brackets by Vortech
No, actually I was talking about the compressor mounting brackets.

I can safely say that with ATI’s experience in aftermarket SC would afford them the invaluable knowledge that each 350Z may be slightly different, hence requiring angle adjustment of the compressor for best fit.
The angle of the volute can be adjusted, which solves the problem the majority of the time. This should be in the manual though....ATI, are you listening? And on the ones that need to bend the pinch weld, what's the big deal? I had to do it on mine too. If this type of thing is a problem, then the customer should probably stick to lighter modifications than converting an N/A car to F/I.

And, if you’ve had enough experience with modifications you’d understand that not many designs come out 100% in the first production run. But, with revisions, customer feedback and extensive R & D, in theory, the application and design is expected to improve; which relates to upgrades; this is a fact whether it be cars, computers, software, etc.
Yep, I've had quite a bit of experience with modification to cars. I understand a lot more about this than you think, and I do agree with this statement. Doc's post above sums it up. I'm sure that ATI will evaluate the feedback they receive and improve the design in the future.

I'm not taking ATI's side in any of this. I think they maybe should have done a couple things differently, but they took the risk and came to market first. I do think that a lot of people are expecting too much from a mod as extensive as this. I'm not referencing the lack of timing control, or the method of fuel management here. It just seems like the thing is getting picked apart, sequentially, as if people are just trying to keep the ATI bashing alive.

Maybe I'm just used to the fit, finish, and quality of aftermarket products in general. I don't expect anything to be done "right" unless I do it myself. Yeah, there are things I would do differently on the ATI kit. But I knew that before I even bought the thing.

350Zzzz, like you said, nothing personal. I'm just trying to understand where some of the complaints are coming from. You're the first I've seen that had a complaint about the IC, aside from the fact that it usually ends up off center....
Old 12-07-2003, 05:50 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

DrBonz, please don't compare Nissan to ATI......

1) when my transmission started grinding in third gear, Nissan replaced it.....not 3rd gear, the whole f*cking tranny

2) when my tires feathered Nissan replaced the tires and corrected my alignment

3) when i had grease streaks on my windows, Nissan fixed it....AND replaced the window that was scratched by the faulty mechanism

4) when my seats frayed for unknown reasons, Nissan replaced the seat cloth

ATI has done nothing except blame everyone else for their crappy product......and thats all they will ever do......Nissan didn't even attempt to blame me for the problems listed above.........don't be so upset at the people that have had problems Doc.......if it wasn't for them, you would have never known to drive your car safely until you could get your J&S Ignition Module......and it could have been you with the blown engine

That's great if your happy paying $5000 dollars for something that doesn't work right.......i'm sure there are lots of companies that would love to have you as a customer........but in the real world, when a company sells something for $5000, it damn well better do what the f*ck it's supposed to do

Last edited by elektrik_juggernaut; 12-07-2003 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:07 PM
GaryK

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
Please don't compare Nissan to ATI......
....and so on....
I'm not sure if this all just directed at the doc or what...but I'm not saying that ATI is right in how they are handling the cases where motors have failed. Especially if they lied in their response to the BBB inquiry. I think you do have to realize that they aren't going to (can't) just jump right in and pay for someone's new motor when it blows....but I don't even want to go there right now. You're talking about the functionality of the product, and I agree that it should do what its supposed to do.

Quick Reply: Technical Notice To 350z Owners