Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Old FI crew...

Old 05-04-2011, 08:42 AM
ajcool2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I've been thinking of running my car again some time.....probably in the fall.
See above post lol.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:55 AM
ajcool2

Originally Posted by Alberto
ITS THE TRUTH! It is easy if you can handle your car...

If I can run 11.1 with 490whp LETTING OFF, why hasn't ANYONE at that power level, beaten my time since 2007?

Its because we are a community of non drivers, we don't push limits, but we rant and bicker all day long about who has the highest dyno and who's shop is best. We suck
It seems like I have this conversation with my friends every weekend and I say the samething you're saying in this thread.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:19 AM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Lots of stuff still happens in VQ land, it just doesnt get posted on this forum. This place tends to shun anything outside of the box and things not done by the couple of big name shops that are present.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:27 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by zman1982
I may not be an OG, but I will tell you this. Alot of what Alberto said is true about the shops in this community. But at the same time some of the comments about being secretive about what certain people did to get the performance they have in their cars is retarded.

This forum is NOT about community it is about egos, bottom line this platform is too unreliable when built and far too expensive to constantly keep repairing. Some have had luck BUT many have not.

No one except a few that you can count on two hands wants to help anyone or share any info with anyone. All it is, is a constant trash talk and internet b.s. This community will never move forward until this stops, and quite frankly I don't see that happening.
QFT.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After rebuilding your bikes suspension, I don't want to see you for a while
Old 05-04-2011, 08:26 PM
chaparro78

been on here since 03, over 100k boosted miles

A lot of the people have moved on to different challenges on different and newer cars, or worse, got married and had families, lol

How many more Turbos or Super Chargers can you make? Do you see new turbo set ups coming out for Supras & RX7s coming out?

A few shops have custom kits now if you want to go that way but the Z has been out 8 years and people have done all kinds of crazy stuff to it.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:00 PM
midz350

Originally Posted by chaparro78
been on here since 03, over 100k boosted miles

A lot of the people have moved on to different challenges on different and newer cars, or worse, got married and had families, lol

How many more Turbos or Super Chargers can you make? Do you see new turbo set ups coming out for Supras & RX7s coming out?

A few shops have custom kits now if you want to go that way but the Z has been out 8 years and people have done all kinds of crazy stuff to it.
The DSM platform never stopped evolving!!

You think ~500-600whp is crazy? or having your engine fail every couple of months is normal!!

Whats funny is that we only have 3-4 cars in the 9's in the 1/4!!! (two of them are +1000whp )
Old 05-05-2011, 04:17 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

DSM's are cheaper + boosted from factory compared to Z33, that's why you see so much more FI activity there.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:14 AM
GoJira33
Banned

honestly I wish I would have read more on this car with reliability for the power goals I want because I would never have bought it. Im not a rich **** who can pay shops to build my **** or go through 3 motors and the cars still unreliable. This platform in my mind equals fail forced induction the ratio of successful builds to failed is not good.

Last edited by GoJira33; 05-05-2011 at 06:18 AM. Reason: more to say
Old 05-05-2011, 06:30 AM
GBoger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XKR
Spoke to Philthy-Phil a few weeks ago.....He is doing fine....CoachK contacted me a few months ago....he was doing fine also....Romey is around...I have not spoken to him in a while though,he is doing some family stuff.
Ganja Doug....have not seen him around, hope he is doing fine...

I am still a big Julian fan
anyone know what ever happened with romey's build?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:10 AM
kingkai

Originally Posted by zman1982
I may not be an OG, but I will tell you this. Alot of what Alberto said is true about the shops in this community. But at the same time some of the comments about being secretive about what certain people did to get the performance they have in their cars is retarded.

This forum is NOT about community it is about egos, bottom line this platform is too unreliable when built and far too expensive to constantly keep repairing. Some have had luck BUT many have not.

No one except a few that you can count on two hands wants to help anyone or share any info with anyone. All it is, is a constant trash talk and internet b.s. This community will never move forward until this stops, and quite frankly I don't see that happening.
I'm a nub here so I only know what I have seen in the 2-3 months skimming the forums. But first let me correct a misconception.

The Supra platform is badass... you can make 600WHP in minutes.. but it is limited to ~800 without rebuilding the engine/changing parts. My bro's car has been through 4 rebuilds to make 1300WHP, he's turned a driveshaft into a pretzel breaking a 6spd tranny and blown a rear end at a Supra meet... What makes that community different... He stayed up that night after buying a rear end at the meet to replace it and get the car back in the road.. He self tunes his car.. he installs all his own parts..

And his car, while averaging 6k miles a year, is down for building more than you can imagine with some sort of upgrade or another. "It was running good at 38PSI, but I got a new turbo and made more HP on less boost" or, "I was up to 1150HP but wanted to hit 1300+ so I rebuilt the engine and got a new turbo"

All this work means his car is down for building quite a bit.. usually all winter.. It seems to me that people here think projects should be completed by a shop in 1-2 weeks fully tuned with no problems EVER and no real concept of how their car works. Honestly, there are a lot of questions to answer on building a car from scratch and it is VERY hard to find the information needed to do a real build or anything outside "Buy this kit". I can't count the times he's said "I can dial it up quite a bit, but I want to break in the car at a lower boost for awhile before I turn it up" "I just did a pass in 9s but the boost was turned down because I don't want to blah blah" Some of the builds actually take him 3-4 months once the car is running to get everything sorted out and perfect before he dynos it, runs it for awhile then changes something else.

We need more questions like this;

Anyone relocated their battery and cut that silly metal wall out for more space?

Relocated brake lines and cut the brake booster wall out?

How do the engine management systems work, what does each one do and not do? I see posts with people who have had 2-3 different systems to "Test" because there isn't any information on what the limits of each one are... if this information were really on the net.. why do people pay $1k to figure things out the hard way? Lots of posts here on what people like, but how many people actually know the reason they like it?

/end rant

I do enjoy reading the forums here. I think this platform has more potential than most realize, but because of the mythology surrounding the 2JZ and it's instant HP with no defects or problems, everyone slams on the VQ and gives up after the first rod failure.

If you want a successful forum, attract new members by being nice to them when they ask something stupid or try something new. Also, don't slam on people's dreams of building a good car but rather encourage them to do it themselves. Learn HOW things work so that they can teach others hell 1/2 the stickies in this forum are why someone sucks how about a post on the benefits/cons of each EMS(Engine Management System)?

Remember, the 2JZ was out of production and canceled 4 years before anyone started building them and damn near 6-7 before it was normal to hit 1k HP. It takes time, money and bloody knuckles to develop a platform. The only thing the Supra platform has over the VQ is, Strong rods/pistons, bulletproof tranny and a kick *** rear end. All things that get upgraded in the 1k WHP range anyway... So yes an 800HP supra is MUCH easier to build, but a 1k HP supra cost the same if not more.

I know i'm new here and my 2 cents may be offensive, I just thought this discussion could use some fresh perspective from someone who is only seeing what is going on now rather than thinking about what was happening 1+ years ago.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:31 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Its because we are a community of non drivers, we don't push limits, but we rant and bicker all day long about who has the highest dyno and who's shop is best. We suck
Old 05-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GBoger
anyone know what ever happened with romey's build?
Car has been done, I believe he drives it all the time.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:44 PM
GBoger

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Car has been done, I believe he drives it all the time.
and no thread? I was more excited about his build than xkr's because of the quicker spooling turbo's... anyone have details?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:57 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike's turbos spooled so fast that the car is undrivable. fast spool is not always desirable....

I think Rome's build had so many issues around it, once it was done, it was better not to bring anything back up..
Old 05-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GBoger
and no thread? I was more excited about his build than xkr's because of the quicker spooling turbo's... anyone have details?
No offense but there are a lot of hardcore Zs with owners that are either on this board and not outspoken or would never bother to join with the crap that goes on here. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Romey to post up a thread about his build, if you ever see him post it will probably only be to update the FI top 50 thread.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:17 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Mike's turbos spooled so fast that the car is undrivable. fast spool is not always desirable....

I think Rome's build had so many issues around it, once it was done, it was better not to bring anything back up..
Pretty much the case with anything at that power level on the street..I would love to have seen Mike's car on slicks at the track....with alberto behind the wheel

Last edited by djamps; 05-09-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:37 PM
midz350

Originally Posted by djamps
Pretty much the case with anything at that power level on the street..I would love to have seen Mike's car on slicks at the track....with alberto behind the wheel
With an extra transmission and a Caliber SRT-4 on the other lane
Old 05-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Your an OG if you remember names like Skidazzle

+1
this.

i remember when he was the first one with a custom TT kit, one of the first ones to get the Nismo V1 body kit from Japanparts.com and have it painted, and that video promo he got in.. one of the reasons why i wanted to go boosted so bad.. i met him in Dallas on a business trip in like '04..
Old 05-16-2011, 06:36 PM
booger

It was fun watching and reading about all of us spending money like crazy trying to build these cars. Im basicly back to stock except I have a nicely built motor with no F/I . Car still only has 23,000 miles on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Old FI crew...