Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Old FI crew...

Old 05-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Your an OG if you remember names like Skidazzle, or when people used to put how many coats of Zaino they had on their cars in their signatures!!!
Dr Bonz back in the day with the Zaino threads and all the steps lol. Back then and today I still think he was nuts to spend 10 hours a week washing his car and less time driving it. To each their own.

Regardless if you like drag racing or not, the problem is 85% of FI members dont do it or suck a$$ at it. When you push a car here HARD, you will break drivetrain, motor, parts that can lead to better parts development.

Looking back, it was our own members with "big builds" that pushed NO LIMITS that held this community back. Its straight up fawking SAD, that my drag time time is even in the top 25 runs of all time, a time I set in 2007 with weaksauce numbers and less than 10 runs total. We are a forum of $hit talkers and haters, at the end of the day most FI members would rather drive to a parking lot, pop the hood and talk about their dynos. Anybody that has ever laughed at me for pushing limits and destroying one transmission or having motor problems can eat a d!ck and enjoy their slow a$$ fawking car.

Hate to admit it, but Vinny Ten did 95% of the R&D that other shops are just catching up to today back in the day with the drag cars they were building, and racing and breaking parts on. If a shop cant keep a car together for 1320 ft, how can you honestly trust them to keep your car together for XX,XXX miles or around a road course?

No hate above, its the honest truth from somebody that has seen it, lived it, and experienced the ups and down of this platform and its community.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:11 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Dr Bonz back in the day with the Zaino threads and all the steps lol. Back then and today I still think he was nuts to spend 10 hours a week washing his car and less time driving it. To each their own.

Regardless if you like drag racing or not, the problem is 85% of FI members dont do it or suck a$$ at it. When you push a car here HARD, you will break drivetrain, motor, parts that can lead to better parts development.

Looking back, it was our own members with "big builds" that pushed NO LIMITS that held this community back. Its straight up fawking SAD, that my drag time time is even in the top 25 runs of all time, a time I set in 2007 with weaksauce numbers and less than 10 runs total. We are a forum of $hit talkers and haters, at the end of the day most FI members would rather drive to a parking lot, pop the hood and talk about their dynos. Anybody that has ever laughed at me for pushing limits and destroying one transmission or having motor problems can eat a d!ck and enjoy their slow a$$ fawking car.

Hate to admit it, but Vinny Ten did 95% of the R&D that other shops are just catching up to today back in the day with the drag cars they were building, and racing and breaking parts on. If a shop cant keep a car together for 1320 ft, how can you honestly trust them to keep your car together for XX,XXX miles or around a road course?

No hate above, its the honest truth from somebody that has seen it, lived it, and experienced the ups and down of this platform and its community.
You make some great points. I think that the VQ pretender shops (who were better at forum politics and hyping their image than actually building fast cars), as well as their blind sheep nuthuggers, should also share the blame for holding this community back.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 05-02-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:54 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

You don't have to push a car beyond its limits and spend money breaking parts to contribute to the community. Calling everyone else a slacker or implying that their contributions are less meaningful is just stupid.

The community is about members helping each other out as much as it is about shops breaking whp limits. For the high and mighty naysayers (I'll refrain from using words like "haters" and "whiners" but you get the sentiment), I guess it's nice to be able to blame someone else and point fingers. If there had been fewer shops in business, the community would be that much smaller today. Ever think of that? Doh! That's just the case in so many dead end platforms!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

sounds like you are holding back... tell us all how you really feel.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:54 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by rcdash
You don't have to push a car beyond its limits and spend money breaking parts to contribute to the community. Calling everyone else a slacker or implying that their contributions are less meaningful is just stupid.

The community is about members helping each other out as much as it is about shops breaking whp limits. For the high and mighty naysayers (I'll refrain from using words like "haters" and "whiners" but you get the sentiment), I guess it's nice to be able to blame someone else and point fingers. If there had been fewer shops in business, the community would be that much smaller today. Ever think of that? Doh! That's just the case in so many dead end platforms!
Nah... The legitimate shops would have picked up the slack and extra business. I also believe that if the forums hadn't been dominated by the fluff of the VQ bubble shops and their throngs of clueless nuthuggers, that more OG speed shops (with established reputations and history of success prior to the VQ platform) would have gotten into the VQ platform and been more involved in FI development for the VQ. I think a lot of OG shops saw the FAIL and decided not to bother with this platform.

The underlying problem is that the overwhelming majority of the demographic of the VQ community has been comprised of NOOBS to the performance aftermarket who never boosted a car nor had a built motor prior to their VQ. As such, most of the VQ community seems to be VQ-centic to a fault, with blinders on regarding lessons learned and tech applications on other platforms. Hence why you saw members and VQ bubble shops patting themselves on the backs about a 500whp VQ ...a power level achieved by several 4-cylinder platforms a long time ago. It was pathetic to see shops proudly touting 500whp numbers in the titles of their threads. The naivety of the VQ community bred an atmosphere that allowed unworthy pretenders with marketing and political savvy to flourish.

That being said... I remain optimistic about the future of the VQ platform. Along with the bad, I've seen some positive changes that are encouraging. There are some big builds and product developments in the pipeline that will hopefully inject some excitement into the FI forum this year. I'm glad that Vinny Ten Racing has finally joined the forum and hope that other OG shops will engage the VQ community as well.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:00 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OG speed shops hardly promote non OEM FI cars to begin with...

AMS,Titan, Boost logic, SP engineering, HPF, etc etc all devote their time/effort/development to factory boosted cars.

They saw the fail in trying to boost an uncharted open deck engine thats prone to sleeve failure and breaking a stock block under 400whp.

Once some of those obstacles were realized the platform was too old.

With all due respect, VTR doesnt contribute much either. They race and have results, but dont share much if anything. They take off the shelf parts and bolt them onto an engine. Throw on a TH400 tranny, cut a 1.4x 60' and have a really fast car. Its not rocket science, ground breaking, or innovative.

Last edited by str8dum1; 05-02-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by rcdash
You seem to take much of what I say to heart. You have done none of the above, yet I would say you are one of the most helpful, informative people in the community.

Dont let that get in the way of the truth though, which is exactly as I have posted. Nobody pushed limits. To clarify, no shops other than 1 (and later a few) pushed limits on their own cars let alone with their customers or for the community. Instead, those that chose that path regardless, where looked at being "abusive" with their cars.

I have nothing to hate on, if my run ended today I could look back and tell stories for the rest of my life regarding my car and experiences with it. When shops tune customers to 8XX power but tell them to not ever run it there, this community was doomed. It happened all too often although nobody would like to admit it. We will NEVER be at the Supra's or other import cars level. Again, we as a community dont have enough racing (of all types not just drag) experience, not enough shops willing to stand behind the work of a customers car who actually drives it for the intended build purpose.

We will always be behind. You can take the 5 most powerful cars here and they would be a warm up at a Supra meet against any heavy hitter, its the dead honest truth. You wouldnt think it though with all the "big boys" here....
Old 05-02-2011, 03:07 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

On a side note about one of the old FI crew...

Doug posted on Facebook last night, "Osama and Tupac bout to do a whole album". Then he posted this pic today...
Attached Thumbnails Old FI crew...-tupac-and-osama.jpg  
Old 05-02-2011, 03:38 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Old 05-02-2011, 03:49 PM
IslandZavage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
On a side note about one of the old FI crew...

Doug posted on Facebook last night, "Osama and Tupac bout to do a whole album". Then he posted this pic today...
now thats some funny s**t.....
Old 05-02-2011, 05:04 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

You seem to take much of what I say to heart. You have done none of the above, yet I would say you are one of the most helpful, informative people in the community.

Dont let that get in the way of the truth though, which is exactly as I have posted. Nobody pushed limits. To clarify, no shops other than 1 (and later a few) pushed limits on their own cars let alone with their customers or for the community. Instead, those that chose that path regardless, where looked at being "abusive" with their cars.

I have nothing to hate on, if my run ended today I could look back and tell stories for the rest of my life regarding my car and experiences with it. When shops tune customers to 8XX power but tell them to not ever run it there, this community was doomed. It happened all too often although nobody would like to admit it. We will NEVER be at the Supra's or other import cars level. Again, we as a community dont have enough racing (of all types not just drag) experience, not enough shops willing to stand behind the work of a customers car who actually drives it for the intended build purpose.

We will always be behind. You can take the 5 most powerful cars here and they would be a warm up at a Supra meet against any heavy hitter, its the dead honest truth. You wouldnt think it though with all the "big boys" here....
Well, Rocky's (need4boostz) VTR built Z beat out a Supra yesterday to take 1st place in the unlimited street class at the Spring Nationals at Englishtown. He made consistent 9.5 second ET's on drag radials. TH400 swap FTW

https://my350z.com/forum/drag/522270...glishtown.html
Old 05-02-2011, 06:43 PM
98intrigue

I'm building the first top mount single turbo 370Z?

But I sure do miss the good 'ol days in here. I still talk to Chris (maximumsortz) and Craig (tuarran) every once in awhile.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:51 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by 98intrigue
I'm building the first top mount single turbo 370Z?
Very interested to hear more about this. Hope you create a thread about it here on my350z in the 370 section.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:58 PM
98intrigue

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Very interested to hear more about this. Hope you create a thread about it here on my350z in the 370 section.
Teaser

Turbo is mounted, intercooler is mounted, uppipe is fabricated, and the manifolds are currently being fabricated.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:04 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Thanks for the teaser pic.

Precision billet 62 or 67? It will be interesting to see how you route the charge piping for equal flow to those dual throttle bodies.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:21 PM
nathanwl2004

Originally Posted by 05Z33
I agree, however with street/killz section; we will hear more stories of death due to stupidity. Not to say that those kinds of things wouldn't happen anyways, but it would only encourage more street racing just so people can post their stories.
maybe true, who knows. was interesting though.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:09 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Alberto is saying is 100% the truth, not many will like to admit it but it's the truth. I have been a long time friend of Vinny's for many years now and he and I were getting fustrated knowing these "bubble shops" were distroying a wonderful platform at ownerships expenses. Till this day none of Vinny clients have been let down or mislead in anyway. The cars perform like he promises them to and they don't share the same downfalls as other shops builds. He uses quality parts that he has been racing with for years, when we were all in grade school.

I always supported Vinny and his remarkable knowledge on the VQ and Supra platforms, and when I expressed his abilities on this forum I would always be turned away, shot down or laughed at. Now when you are on the street everyone on the east coast talks so highly of Vinny its unreal. So now the joke is on the ones that did not listen. Even with other shops failing builds, Vinny still stuck his hand out to help a upset/disgruntled customer of another shop to have their motors redone correctly(trust me I have seen it,numerous times). Still at times he would get no credit, this man still gets standing ovations at etown, still holds records for two different platforms, builds and tunes better than 80% of tuners out there, and is a stand up guy but never got the respect he deserved and was always questioned. What doesn't take rocket science to figure out is, if a majority of shops cannot build these motors correctly and had numerous failers, whats the point of going there? So they can never get to the root of the problem like Vinny did with all his years of R&D.

Take it from me, you want a solid performer take it to a man that knows the car in and out, will stand behind his work, and will support you every step of the way. VTR keep up the good work, you guys are doing your thing
Old 05-03-2011, 06:37 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8dum1
OG speed shops hardly promote non OEM FI cars to begin with...

AMS,Titan, Boost logic, SP engineering, HPF, etc etc all devote their time/effort/development to factory boosted cars.

They saw the fail in trying to boost an uncharted open deck engine thats prone to sleeve failure and breaking a stock block under 400whp.

Once some of those obstacles were realized the platform was too old.

With all due respect, VTR doesnt contribute much either. They race and have results, but dont share much if anything. They take off the shelf parts and bolt them onto an engine. Throw on a TH400 tranny, cut a 1.4x 60' and have a really fast car. Its not rocket science, ground breaking, or innovative.

This is got to be the dumbest comment I ever heard, did you read what you typed? Tell me what would you do that would be so intuitive? Since its soo easy...just curious
Old 05-03-2011, 06:47 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

str8 hasn't even run 11's, but you'll find him in the drag forums giving advice on dragging our platform, DR choices, etc, lol. Typical of this site. I don't know $hit about audio/video I don't go into those forums telling people how to hook up amps....
Old 05-03-2011, 07:19 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Who has the fastest supercharged G35 time in car that weighs 2-300lbs more than a Z? I've made hundreds on 1/8th mile passes and only 2 1/4 mile passes before i stripped the car and started over. I spent hundreds of hours at the strip talking to fellow racers, trying different techniques.

I believe that your excuse as well Alberto, so dont go calling the kettle black. You run your mouth more than anyone on this forum on how fawking weaksauce the times are, yet you have never done it either. I dont have to the best driver to know what I need to improve on.

And dumbest comment? WTF? Sure VTR might be a great shop. But take a professional driver, a transbraked auto car and about 800whp and you think 9.5 quarter is impressive? For a VQ maybe and to a forum that prides themselves with 1.8+ 60' targets and street tire records.

Supra guys are cuttin 140x+ traps with a 62mm turbo on less displacement. VTR is using an EMS that nobody knows anything about. Why not, promote it? Expand the community as a whole. If their sleeved motors have NEVER failed, why not promote one of their builds. For all we know their 9.5s car gets rebuilt every couple thousand miles....

AlwaysNBoost, you are VTR guy, so why not inform the community of how you built your car? Show the features of the Hydra, how user friendly it is, etc... IF thats your car with the TH400, explain how its incorporated into the Z, how its controlled, pics of the shifter setup.

Thats what people want to see. The more mainstream one off projects become, the better for everyone.

I am having EMS issues. Cant get any help on the forums because no one does anything themselves. Any technical issues only involves the same few people. You get guys that constantly b!tch that the FI forum is stale, but have never turned a wrench or tried to tune their own car or troubleshot anything. Thats what separates us from other communities. I post a question on Supra, or domestic or Evo forums, and lots of people know, because there are lots of people that wrench on their own cars. You talk about true OG FI members, but how can you be OG when you dont know anything about what you own?

Last edited by str8dum1; 05-03-2011 at 07:45 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Old FI crew...