Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another GTM Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 06:44 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya I've had my axles off 3 or 4 times, regreased everytime and I still have all sorts of clicking noises.

i just ignore it now, but rolling around a parking lot makes it sound like the wheels are gonna fall off.

Hopefully a regrease will work for ya.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:08 AM
ace32x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Roll or cut the fenders if needed.

Why would you run more negative camber on larger tires just to clear the setup? That defeats the purpose.

Congrats on getting your car up and running.
i cut my fenders and am running 295s no problem, could probably squeeze a 315 in there if i had enough wheel for it
Old 10-26-2011, 08:15 AM
ace32x

Originally Posted by Cass007
Just keeping an eye on this
called on the phone theyre not available for exchange yet. theyre repairing them atm when you send them back and then sending them back to you. Sam said in a month they'll have a stock to just exchange them out
Old 10-26-2011, 08:24 AM
f150intally

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8dum1
ya I've had my axles off 3 or 4 times, regreased everytime and I still have all sorts of clicking noises.

i just ignore it now, but rolling around a parking lot makes it sound like the wheels are gonna fall off.

Hopefully a regrease will work for ya.
Pardon the ignorance, buy ehat exactly are tou regreasing when you have it off? The splines and threaded portion?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Glex25

Originally Posted by f150intally
Pardon the ignorance, buy ehat exactly are tou regreasing when you have it off? The splines and threaded portion?
Splines and the Flat lip on the Axles.

I use Anti-Seize on them (The gray paste you usually put on spark plugs and O2 sensors)
Old 10-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ace32x
called on the phone theyre not available for exchange yet. theyre repairing them atm when you send them back and then sending them back to you. Sam said in a month they'll have a stock to just exchange them out
Thanks for the update.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:09 PM
ace32x

Thanks for the update.
yessir, i want my strut back on been waiting for this since i bought the kit lol
Old 10-26-2011, 04:47 PM
f150intally

One of my good friends who happens to be a master mechanic picked the car up and will drive it in to the shop tomorrow. He is going to diagnose the popping/clicking noise and install the Quaife. Rearends are his specialty. He said its too loud to be an axle. We did have the brakes and suspension done so its probably just something loose. I will report back tomorrow night. Also rented a fender rolling tool. Should be here in a couple of days.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

One of my good friends who happens to be a master mechanic picked the car up and will drive it in to the shop tomorrow. He is going to diagnose the popping/clicking noise and install the Quaife. Rearends are his specialty. He said its too loud to be an axle. We did have the brakes and suspension done so its probably just something loose. I will report back tomorrow night. Also rented a fender rolling tool. Should be here in a couple of days.
I bet they are
Old 10-26-2011, 06:07 PM
f150intally

I bet they are
I knew that was coming...LOL!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:37 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I knew that was coming...LOL!
its more important to know when hes coming to work on your rearend.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dikspiel
its more important to know when hes coming to work on your rearend.
It's also good to hear that he knows what he's doing... Unlike Str8 he doesn't just lube and go... This guy knows how delicate rear ends can be.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:41 AM
ace32x

Originally Posted by Resmarted
It's also good to hear that he knows what he's doing... Unlike Str8 he doesn't just lube and go... This guy knows how delicate rear ends can be.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:55 AM
ronn1

Originally Posted by Mike@GTM
Yes, the crash bar is gone. However, it is replaced by the intercooler. Unlike other FMIC's that require removal of the crash bar, ours has mounts that bolt to the frame rails and the intercooler becomes part of the vehicle structure. Also, because our FMIC is bar and plate as opposed to tube and fine, it actually has quite a bit of strength in the same direction as the original crash bar. Therefore, you won't lose structural rigidity like everyone in this thread is implying.
Isn't that going to prevent any CARB approval? I know it's all about emissions, but crash bar removal could be a fly in the ointment here? Certainly will void any insurance coverage in the event of accident.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by ronn1
Isn't that going to prevent any CARB approval? I know it's all about emissions, but crash bar removal could be a fly in the ointment here? Certainly will void any insurance coverage in the event of accident.
FAIL
the turbos exhaust mods, fuel pump, injectors and ecu setup will prevent carb approval long before crash bar.

The california assh*le resource board doesn't really care about crash ratings of a car, that usually is something DOT etc bothers with.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:27 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by Resmarted
FAIL
the turbos exhaust mods, fuel pump, injectors and ecu setup will prevent carb approval long before crash bar.

The california assh*le resource board doesn't really care about crash ratings of a car, that usually is something DOT etc bothers with.
The poison pill here is the INSURANCE coverage..by by.
But I guess it's a moot point anyway with Turbo mod?

Last edited by ronn1; 10-29-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:30 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by ronn1
The poison pill here is the INSURANCE coverage..by by.
But I guess it's a moot point anyway with Turbo mod?
Kinda. I mean most people here kinda either run away when they hear the cali complications and stay stock/bolt ons. Real boosters dgaf and just consider it part of the game.
Guys with serious cars in Cali deserve more respect than anywhere else imo lol, we have extra total bs to deal with. Even members on here (*cough* berto) start crying about stuff that isn't even half as bad as it is here.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:30 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Even if all the parts were carb certified the turbo kit itself would not be able to pass because the emissions from the car at startup/while cold. This is what prevented all the turbo kits from getting carb certification in the past i believe.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:08 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Correct...

I remember my young noob 350z -tech days when I was hoping against all hope for JWT's promise for a CARB legal TT kit...and even now my Vortech kit has a snowball's chance in hell of passing smog...

Originally Posted by dikspiel
Even if all the parts were carb certified the turbo kit itself would not be able to pass because the emissions from the car at startup/while cold. This is what prevented all the turbo kits from getting carb certification in the past i believe.

Last edited by 350z006; 10-30-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by 350z006
Correct...

I remember my young noob 350z -tech days when I was hoping against all hope for JWT's promise for a CARB legal TT kit...and even now my Vortech kit has a snowball's chance in hell of passing smog...
You've got a pretty good chance to pass smog, but carb is a totally different story. We as consumers dont *** with carb period. Aside from sticking carb eo numbers.

There's a giant difference between smog stuff: bring in your car hot and pass a sniffer at like 2 different rpm 'load' sites + pass scan (easy with uprev) + visual, which depending on how dumb your shop is/how many carb EO stickers you can get.
And Referee: go in after getting a ticket and they check for every damn thing to be exactly OEM, or face getting doubling in cost tickets every time a cop pulls up your plates (you get flagged in the system I hear).
And CARB: 'production' 50 state legal, costs an arm and a leg because the individual company must pay for everything. Greddy didn't go through with it on the Z either.

I'm pretty sure also why we don't get carb approved kits/they all died quick is due to the lack of non illegal tuning systems. No companys wanted to sell their 500hp turbo kits with a godd*mn split second box to blow up a few weeks later. And to be carb approved can't do injector swaps or fuel pump upgrades. So you get very limited to low boost setups. I think if companies came back with Osiris now adays they might actually get a few kits to pass.

CARB doesn't just look at the NO2/CO etc levels, they look at modification of the electronics and fuel system etc. Any actual modifications to how the computer reads the sensors etc get thrown out immediately. I'd assume it has to do with the OBDII scanning system... It's really focking stupid that error codes can cockblock a perfectly fine sniffing car BUT that's how sh*t is.

Our gov is f*cked up.

Quick Reply: Another GTM Install