Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another GTM Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 05:56 PM
f150intally

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Bumpity.
Hows the car working for you man?
Funny you should ask. I am in my hotel room in Carrollton a few miles from the shop right now. Things were getting kind of rushed last week and the shop and I decided to push the deadline one more week to make sure their is ample time to QC everything and get the tune (street) right. Last Friday the car made 515whp on 11psi. I don't have all the final information but will get that tomorrow. I have a few words for anyone thinking about boosting and especially considering Z1 to do the work:

DO IT! Z1 MOTORSPORTS ROCKS!

I arrived at the shop this evening after a four hour drive up from Tallahassee and the car had been fully detailed! Tire shine and all. John took me for a ride in the car and at 8PSI, it was FREAKING AWESOME. The car gained more traction as the tires heated up. This install is ridiculously clean. The two-step and no-lift shift from KP Technologies is installed and working perfectly. The car looks great with the springs they installed and the brakes are unbelievable.

Most of all the car drives freaking wonderful, like stock when you aren't romping on it and like a bat out of Haiti when you boost it. It is amazingly quiet with WGs recirculated. The GTM exhaust is amazing as well. This car is a total sleeper and Z1 did a phenomenal job on the install. I'm telling you, if you are considering them doing your work, you will not be disappointed.

I have a 5 hour drive ahead of me tomorrow. There is a very small punch list of items to be taken care of, very little things. Looking forward to it tomorrow. This shop is great to hang out at as well.

More to come tomorrow night.

Very happy so far,
Jay Waller

Last edited by f150intally; 10-20-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:44 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Great to hear. GL HR bro.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:52 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

i assume you have the gtm 3" dual exhuat? how loud is it with the 3" gtm downpipes?
Old 10-21-2011, 03:47 AM
f150intally

Originally Posted by dikspiel
i assume you have the gtm 3" dual exhuat? how loud is it with the 3" gtm downpipes?
Its really not as loud as I expected it to be. Yes GTM everything from manifold to tip, 3". The GTM exhaust uses a pretty good size muffler at the rear end. I will try to get some sound clips and pictures to post.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:23 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by f150intally
Its really not as loud as I expected it to be. Yes GTM everything from manifold to tip, 3". The GTM exhaust uses a pretty good size muffler at the rear end. I will try to get some sound clips and pictures to post.
Please do, I really like the sound of recirced Z's over open dumped Z's...
Old 10-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Resmarted

I was thinking about getting the 3" exhaust because I know that the AAM one is retarded loud and I can't have that here in LA. I will be sticking with my 2.5" Fast Intentions until I find a solution that keeps it quiet.
Motordyne + custom cats if you want something out of the box... somebody on here (is it rcdash???????) runs that and it seems really quiet.

I'd recommend getting your shop to fab up a true dual 3" with a couple of resonators on each pipe + a straight through muffler at each end. Resonators are magic... loud on accell and quiet on idle. I tested out my local 5-0's response to retard level loudness by cutting my muffler off after the resonator with a y pipe. Would set off car alarms, but on idle you couldn't hear it in the next car over if the window was open... A couple of months like that and no tickets. Going quiet now but you get my general point.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:06 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

I asked Tony from motordyne and he said it was loud, I don't want to run cats either. I may have my shop do a custom exhaust later on or just buy the 3" fast intentions and have some more resonators installed.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:35 AM
f150intally

Drove 5.5 hours last night from Atlanta to Panama City Beach. Car drove like a champ. I didn't get to hit it too hard on the street tires but this car responds so quick. I was testing out boost response some last night and at 3000rpm it instantly made the wastegate spring pressure of 6 psi. Anything beyond that on my current tires is a waste of rubber. I'm shocked at even how quickly the stage 2 turbos spool! Even with the .86 a/r backside these things hit freaking hard. I did do the turbo blankets and dei heat wrap but wow, hitting hard.

I had a close encounter with a deer so I got to test out the Akebono brakes. Wow, these things have some STOPPING POWER compared to my stock brakes. Had a box of old brake parts in the back that almost flew into the front seat. Thankfully they were pinned under the rear strut bar.

The lowered stance is also quite pleasant compared to the stock ride height. The car just feels tighter than it did before. Now I need to get the Quaiffe installed and the wheels and tires then have an alignment done. I will continue to post impressions. Will also try to get the car on the lift and do a high quality photo shoot of it. I'm still amazed at how mild the exhaust is, which I love. There was NA Rev-up there getting tuned by JP and it was so loud compared to my turbo car, which I know the turbines can reduce the noise but I was quite surprised.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:46 AM
suprasam

Rcdash had dynamax VT mufflers in stalled on the axle back pieces of his 3" motordyne shockwave. Said it reduced noise and lost some HP. But I think he liked the overall results

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Motordyne + custom cats if you want something out of the box... somebody on here (is it rcdash???????) runs that and it seems really quiet.

I'd recommend getting your shop to fab up a true dual 3" with a couple of resonators on each pipe + a straight through muffler at each end. Resonators are magic... loud on accell and quiet on idle. I tested out my local 5-0's response to retard level loudness by cutting my muffler off after the resonator with a y pipe. Would set off car alarms, but on idle you couldn't hear it in the next car over if the window was open... A couple of months like that and no tickets. Going quiet now but you get my general point.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:09 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Anything beyond that on my current tires is a waste of rubber.
told ya

takes a lot of tire to keep a boosted beast hooking up.

Also, i run no cats and borla exhaust. It's the perfect noise level for me. Deep tone, doesn't drone at all, and makes a little noise on WOT. I drive it on the interstate back and forth from indiana (4hrs) so i can't stand droning exhausts.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:16 AM
supernadc2
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about getting the 3" exhaust because I know that the AAM one is retarded loud and I can't have that here in LA. I will be sticking with my 2.5" Fast Intentions until I find a solution that keeps it quiet.
I've had my set up about 3 years here in L.A and have never once even had a issue with the police authority, and they're quite strict where i am at. I have the GTM 3" exhaust and not only does it just have a low rumble under normal driving conditions but looks relative to stock.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Eddie K.

f150intally I was checking the forum to get some information on the GTM turbos when I seen your posts. I met you yesterday at Z1. THANKS for alowing me to ride in your FAST car. I hope be doing this setup to mine soon. Glade to here you had a safe drive home, enjoy your new ride.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:58 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not anymore. full custom with Vibrant cans now.

Originally Posted by suprasam
Rcdash had dynamax VT mufflers in stalled on the axle back pieces of his 3" motordyne shockwave. Said it reduced noise and lost some HP. But I think he liked the overall results
Old 10-22-2011, 09:08 AM
f150intally

Originally Posted by Eddie K.
f150intally I was checking the forum to get some information on the GTM turbos when I seen your posts. I met you yesterday at Z1. THANKS for alowing me to ride in your FAST car. I hope be doing this setup to mine soon. Glade to here you had a safe drive home, enjoy your new ride.
Hi Eddie. It was great to meet you to. Your car was awesome. Love the color, stance and wheel/tire combo. I know you will have boost in due time

I love meeting people with similar interests! I assume you got my email address? email me anytime if you have questions. I will email you the two-step information....

Thanks.
Jay
Old 10-22-2011, 09:59 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

hmm may have to add gtm 3" exhaust to the mods list
Old 10-22-2011, 10:25 AM
f150intally

hmm may have to add gtm 3" exhaust to the mods list
Just downloaded a good sound recorder for Android so will get some clips.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:12 PM
505HR350Z

Somebody let me in on the secret! I've been saving my pennies forever just trying to get the gtm s/c kit. Everyone makes it seem so easy
Old 10-23-2011, 08:54 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 505HR350Z
Somebody let me in on the secret! I've been saving my pennies forever just trying to get the gtm s/c kit. Everyone makes it seem so easy
good college degree=good job=money
Old 10-23-2011, 05:25 PM
f150intally

Five hundred boosted miles so far and everything is awesome. I need to install my exhaust hangers in the mid section since I brought mine home on my stock exhaust (forgot to remove them) and Z1 didn't have one to install. Exhaust pipe taps the rear sway bar (right side) when I'm bounce shifting because I'm learning the OS Giken Clutch sensitivity.

Ok, for everyone wanting to hear the GTM 3" Exhaust... I have clips from inside, outside, windows up, windows down you name it. These clips are uncompressed, high quality WAV files but from a DROID 2 Global cell phone so they will be a little limited. The pitch seems a little higher than it sounds but not much. If you have a subwoofer hooked up that may help.

Holy Cow... Let me know if I missed something you guys want

Startup, Windows Closed.
Outside car, side and rear.
In Cabin, windows up, revving engine.
Driving, light boost, Gears 1-3.
Cruising at 65mph, 6th gear, windows up.
Cruising at 65mph, 6th gear, windows down (more wind noise than exhaust.
Windows down, gears 1-5, boosting a little in second. Then windows up cruising (for cabin reference.

In case people are wondering... there are no test pipes or cats. This is just straight off the turbos with the GTM 3" Downpipes, WGs recirculated. In my opinion, it is fairly quiet for straight exhaust.

Thanks.
Jay

Last edited by f150intally; 10-23-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Resmarted

Five hundred boosted miles so far and everything is awesome. I need to install my exhaust hangers in the mid section since I brought mine home on my stock exhaust (forgot to remove them) and Z1 didn't have one to install. Exhaust pipe taps the rear sway bar (right side) when I'm bounce shifting because I'm learning the OS Giken Clutch sensitivity.

Ok, for everyone wanting to hear the GTM 3" Exhaust... I have clips from inside, outside, windows up, windows down you name it. These clips are uncompressed, high quality WAV files but from a DROID 2 Global cell phone so they will be a little limited. The pitch seems a little higher than it sounds but not much. If you have a subwoofer hooked up that may help.

Holy Cow... Let me know if I missed something you guys want

Startup, Windows Closed.
Outside car, side and rear.
In Cabin, windows up, revving engine.
Driving, light boost, Gears 1-3.
Cruising at 65mph, 6th gear, windows up.
Cruising at 65mph, 6th gear, windows down (more wind noise than exhaust.
Windows down, gears 1-5, boosting a little in second. Then windows up cruising (for cabin reference.

Thanks.
Jay
That mic is impressive.
Lol I feel like I'm listening to an audio book for turbo z's.

Quick Reply: Another GTM Install