Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

momentum gt3794r build.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:28 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
Actually I think torque should be consistent on Dynojets. If the rpm pick up isn't working then the calculated hp reading can be all over the place. Speed vs torque can't be easily skewed. As you say, the horsepower curve can be because that is calculated from the rpm pickup.
Yes, tq was the same which is also a reason I was suspicious. Let me get the first dyno and see what it showed. I hate power vs speed dyno but it isn't easily messed with like rpm.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 PM
Paul Penrose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n2deepnot2keep
Thanx for all that info.
Method sounds more interesting now, besides there isn't a lot of people selling corn here yet. (I live in slc Utah)

Reassembled starts Monday and hopefully completed by Friday.
I'll post results when its done.

Ps. I forgot to list jwt c2 cams in my build list.
Tried to send you a message but there was no option
Started a utah z group here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/309768695807627/
Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 AM
nway2deepagain

Update...engine damage after a few hundred miles. One piston showed signs of detonation and one showed a lean condition. Smashed a ring witch caused high crankcase pressure wich caused oil to start leaking from everywhere. Had some minor bearing damage too.

Got everything rebuild the same as before except for the following... changed from gt3794r to gtx3582r put a turbo diaper on it and had a couple of heat sheilds built to pertect the power steering rack and keep heat off the intake tube and a.c lines.

Put alot of gold tape on various hoses that need heat protection.
Put in a custom oil catchcan ( pulling-3 psi now ). Upgraded clutch with a spec super twin.

And thats about it as far as changes. Car got tuned yesterday after 550 break in miles (not boosting). On a dynojet it made 560whp on 91oct at 15lbs. Car did not detonate on the dyno but did on the street ( in one spot at about 4000 rpms just after it hits full boost).

This was happening with the previous build too.

Took it down to 12 lbs of boost and it still made 545 whp! Car still detinates even after backing timming off 5 degrees although detination is very minor and doesn't happen every time.

Probably just to much power for 91oct. Anyway all the tunning we had time to do for now.

I have to leave town but I will update in about two weeks when I get it back on the dyno.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 PM
binder

because the turbo size and octane. Pushing higher hp through a smaller turbine wheel will increase heat quite a bit which promotes detonation especially with only 91 octane.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:34 AM
nway2deepagain

Originally Posted by binder
because the turbo size and octane. Pushing higher hp through a smaller turbine wheel will increase heat quite a bit which promotes detonation especially with only 91 octane.
True that. I will probably have to go down below 500 whp to be truly safe on 91 but with the numbers so far I cant wait to see what it will do on 100 oct (j can get it from the pump down the street from me) alot of hp was left on the table and I think I will get the 639whp I got with the gt37 pluss some.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:11 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

*someone* is doing something wrong.

Originally Posted by nway2deepagain
Engine #1 stock block with sts rear mount turbo
Lasted about 1500 miles.

My tuned didn't retighten bolts on compressor housing after clocking the turbo.
Lost seal, lost oil, lost engine.

Engine#2 ipp stage 2 long block . Just did an upgrade to the sts system with a precision 6265 turbo and a exa scavenge pump.

Lasted not even a day, probably about 75 miles. Engine failer due to oil starvation. Cause for this is unclear to me. He said/ she said....%@$!*

Engine #3 ipp stage 2 same engine rebuilt . Ditched the sts kit and bought a momentum top mount kit plus headers exhaust plenum spacer fuel return ct3794r turbo blah lbah the whole nine yards.

Engine lasted like 4 or 5 hundred miles . Engine had two miss matched spark plugs installed causing detonation on one piston and a lean condition on the other.

Engine #4 currently being rebuilt by ipp.

Last edited by rcdash; 03-01-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:58 AM
binder

True that. I will probably have to go down below 500 whp to be truly safe on 91 but with the numbers so far I cant wait to see what it will do on 100 oct (j can get it from the pump down the street from me) alot of hp was left on the table and I think I will get the 639whp I got with the gt37 pluss some.
More power from a smaller turbo? doubtful

and if you are detonating after even lowering the HP then there definitely isn't "more on the table"
Old 03-01-2013, 02:39 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

GTX turbo might work out ok...

At 8.5:1 compression, 91 octane should be ok at decent boost levels.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:43 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

thats what amazes me people ***** endlessly about blowing engines but dont do anything different. iirc i remember him talking about 2 mismatched plugs causing the engine to blow and pretty much everyone agreed that was bs and the plugs arnt what caused det.

im really thinking he needs both a new engine builder and tuner, im seeing repeated det issues which is prob also whats causing the "oil starvation" its one of those two things causing the issues not sure how many engines its going to take him though.

Last edited by jerryd87; 03-01-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:35 AM
binder

mismatched plugs don't cause engines to blow nor do they cause cylinders to go lean.

can we make a mandatory read on how spark plugs really work in engines before anyone can post? it seems people are wildly confused on the NON MAGICAL aspects of a spark plug. It doesn't change a/f, you don't change plugs to stop detonation, they won't give you more power. GEEZ!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 PM
nway2deepagain

This turbo has a billit wheel and a better compressor efficiency throughout the powerband so I think it will show cooler a.i.t's than the previous turbo.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:20 PM
nway2deepagain

More power from a smaller turbo? doubtful

and if you are detonating after even lowering the HP then there definitely isn't "more on the table"
I meant more on the table for the race gas tune. As I stated already...I think we will have to take it below 500whp for 91oct.

Yes I think I will get more power from this smaller turbo.
The gt37 would have made more power but we ran into back pressure issues at 639whp.

I think the gtx will top that mark on race gas.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:27 PM
nway2deepagain

mismatched plugs don't cause engines to blow nor do they cause cylinders to go lean.

can we make a mandatory read on how spark plugs really work in engines before anyone can post? it seems people are wildly confused on the NON MAGICAL aspects of a spark plug. It doesn't change a/f, you don't change plugs to stop detonation, they won't give you more power. GEEZ!!!
Maybe not. But two mismatched plugs can cause detonation. I never said it would change the a/f and I never said changing the plugs would stop detonation. And I never said changing plugs would give you more power. Where r u gitting this from?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:38 PM
jerryd87

dont even try that fight jeff trust me been there done that he refuses to listen and will continue to buy engines because of it, he will just go on and on about how the sparkplugs did it and it had nothing to do with the fact that the tuner obviously was running way to aggressive spark
Old 03-03-2013, 11:51 PM
nway2deepagain

Originally Posted by jerryd87
thats what amazes me people ***** endlessly about blowing engines but dont do anything different. iirc i remember him talking about 2 mismatched plugs causing the engine to blow and pretty much everyone agreed that was bs and the plugs arnt what caused det.

im really thinking he needs both a new engine builder and tuner, im seeing repeated det issues which is prob also whats causing the "oil starvation" its one of those two things causing the issues not sure how many engines its going to take him though.
What amazes me is how often people make stupid comments like yours without even knowing the facts ( or even reading the thread they r commenting on).

That fact that I have gone to three different tuners to try and get this done right has escaped your intelligence.

All my failures have been directly linked to tunning and mistakes made installing the kit ( and my own ignorance ).

As soon as I get any shred of evidence that the builder is at fault I will let u know.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 AM
nway2deepagain

Originally Posted by jerryd87
dont even try that fight jeff trust me been there done that he refuses to listen and will continue to buy engines because of it, he will just go on and on about how the sparkplugs did it and it had nothing to do with the fact that the tuner obviously was running way to aggressive spark
Yes,initially after hearing from ipp what the damage was I thought matched plugs prob caused the damage. Two damaged pistons and two mismatched plugs seemed to be too much of a coincidence to ignore. Especially since kyle at ipp told me this could have been the cause.

Truth is I dont even know that there was any m8smatch at all. Powerfab told me two of the plugs were m8smatched after returning the engine to them.

I firmly believe the tune was the problem. The car didnt detonate on the dyno but did on the street.
I think he either didnt detect the detonation or didnt test drive the 91oct tune.

Last edited by nway2deepagain; 03-04-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:11 AM
jerryd87

lol we went on and on about this for awhile you gave me all the "facts" previously i have read the thread and the fact of the matter is i have more miles on my built engine then ALL of your engines combined, i currently run STOCK heat range plugs at 20psi boost which is about ~575 rwhp and im on JUST 92 octane which is comparable to 90 octane stateside. obviously you should take it to a competent tuner instead of continuously taking it to people who have no idea what they are doing or trying to cheap out.

you pointed out previously that one of your engine failures was the installers fault with incorrect spark plugs, not only myself but others have told you that bs your ignorance causes you to ignore that. also you claim several failures from oil starvation again bs, either your engine was detonating so bad that it fryed the bearings or the engine was assembled incorrectly, ipp has had several failed engines on here so im willing to put money that at LEAST one of the failures is there fault and they escaped because you have had several people working on it.

next time you want to insult someone try insulting someone who dosnt know what they are doing because its pretty damn obvious that i do otherwise explain how i havnt had any issues after building my engine IN A PARKING LOT, heres a hint it wasnt dumb luck.

you simply have failed to see where others have been more subtle about making fun of you for trying the same thing over and over again. my guess? its not just one persons fault im making the educated guess based on your failures, detonation, and the history of ipp(although not nearly as bad as some they have had there own issues as with all but 2 shops im aware of) its pretty much a given that its a combination of engine builder and tuning.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 AM
jerryd87

street conditions are vastly different then dyno hence why i only tune on the street and its pretty much guaranteed your spark was too aggressive or too much boost. dyno tuning should be a little bit more conservative, ie pull a tad bit more timing then you would on the street tune det at 28 deg on dyno pull 1 degree or so mayby 1.4, det at 28 deg on the street pull .6-1 degree roughly for an aggressive tune anyway
Yes,initially after hearing from ipp what the damage was I thought matched plugs prob caused the damage. Two damaged pistons and two mismatched plugs seemed to be too much of a coincidence to ignore. Especially since kyle at ipp told me this could have been the cause.

Truth is I dont even know that there was any m8smatch at all. Powerfab told me two of the plugs were m8smatched after returning the engine to them.

I firmly believe the tune was the problem. The car didnt detonate on the dyno but did on the street.
I think he either didnt detect the detonation or didnt test drive the 91oct tune.

Last edited by jerryd87; 03-04-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:35 AM
nway2deepagain

Take one of my comments from a different thread and post it here to make me look foolish without any context for new readers to refer to. You r a class act!

The best advise may be to not play the game at all.

Can u show me one example of anyone making over 550whp for over 75k?

Nobody but me has the guts to post when shiit hits the fan because of people like u.

Show me your 600whp beast with 100k boosted miles and maybe I will buy your book on boosting vq's you obviously have written.

In the meantime stop shiiting on my thread if all u can do is criticize.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:36 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So your blown motor died because of detonation. BUT you tune your new motor to the point is detonating at FULL boost (highest cylinder pressure)

and then you get mad for people calling you out?

Update...engine damage after a few hundred miles. One piston showed signs of detonation

Car did not detonate on the dyno but did on the street ( in one spot at about 4000 rpms just after it hits full boost).
All my failures have been directly linked to tuning and mistakes made installing the kit ( and my own ignorance ).

Quick Reply: momentum gt3794r build.