Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

ECU for boosted applications

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 08:50 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by daking350
First I would like to appologize to those who would like to learn about my ECU for getting so off topic..I took the bait and allowed myself to be sucked into the Drama..

Ok EJ to answer your question...I have a group buy for $675 for under 10 units..over 10 units it goes to $600...Install should take 30 minutes by an experienced installer...The unit I will be sendin will have Timing maps for 8lb OR 9lb pulley "combinations"..As long as your DFMU is already tuned to an 11.6-12.0 A/F you will be fine..OR you can ditch the DFMU and re-tune it for larger injectors OR secondaries...I am looking into the costs of ditching the DFMU and adding 2-4 secondary injectors for the A/F which would come PRE-MAPPED at sealevel conditions..So little if any tuning would be required..
so the unit ships out with no baseline AF programmed at all, just the "default" programmed timing map?.......what about the software to run the application on a laptop?........does that come with the unit, or is there an extra cost for that?
Old 01-29-2004, 08:54 AM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
so the unit ships out with no baseline AF programmed at all, just the "default" programmed timing map?.......what about the software to run the application on a laptop?........does that come with the unit, or is there an extra cost for that?
Comes with the software..I think the only thing it doesnt come with is a cable to hook up to the laptop..But I will see if I can get him to throw that in for the price..I think the cable is like $15 bucks or so...If you want to keep the DFMU it will have no fuel adjustments in it..Just timing and ignition..Maybee some fine tuning of the A/F.we have to see..But if you want to go with the extra $$$ for injectors and the mounting plate which you supply on your own then it will have all pre-programmed A/F mixtures that should run safely on every car...Peace..
Old 01-29-2004, 09:02 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

Originally posted by daking350
Comes with the software..I think the only thing it doesnt come with is a cable to hook up to the laptop..But I will see if I can get him to throw that in for the price..I think the cable is like $15 bucks or so...If you want to keep the DFMU it will have no fuel adjustments in it..Just timing and ignition..Maybee some fine tuning of the A/F.we have to see..But if you want to go with the extra $$$ for injectors and the mounting plate which you supply on your own then it will have all pre-programmed A/F mixtures that should run safely on every car...Peace..
but what about intake and exhaust variables?.......are there a variety of pre-programs, or just one?.......what is the safe AFR that they're pre-programming it at?
Old 01-29-2004, 10:25 AM
daking350
Banned

but what about intake and exhaust variables?.......are there a variety of pre-programs, or just one?.......what is the safe AFR that they're pre-programming it at?
Well the tuning will be done on my car..Stock plenum,no cats,Borla true dual...So running lean wont be an issue.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:33 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

so the pre-program will be one made for a car without cats?
Old 01-29-2004, 11:36 AM
daking350
Banned

so the pre-program will be one made for a car without cats?
Well either High flow cats or no cats..
Old 01-29-2004, 12:23 PM
G3po

Default Aux injectors

D--350. About the aux bank-injector method. Do you or installers believe that he factory manifold will handle fuel distribution adequately? I personally have only used aux injector systems on Root/TS applications were the aux injectors pre-sprays the rotors, hence no distribution or drop out issues. However; most modern intake manifolds are optimized to flow "air" only and may perform poorly when flowing fuel+air (ie puddling / drop-out/ uneven distribution). If you add "injectors" were in the tract would you place them. Any thougths? Will this arrangemetn be tested on a flow bench and/or A/F per cylinder?

Thanx
Old 01-29-2004, 12:47 PM
daking350
Banned

Default Re: Aux injectors

Originally posted by G3po
D--350. About the aux bank-injector method. Do you or installers believe that he factory manifold will handle fuel distribution adequately? I personally have only used aux injector systems on Root/TS applications were the aux injectors pre-sprays the rotors, hence no distribution or drop out issues. However; most modern intake manifolds are optimized to flow "air" only and may perform poorly when flowing fuel+air (ie puddling / drop-out/ uneven distribution). If you add "injectors" were in the tract would you place them. Any thougths? Will this arrangemetn be tested on a flow bench and/or A/F per cylinder?

Thanx
Most idealy in a custom fuel rail..But most likely in the manifold..I feel that by the time your extra injectors start to supply fuel your airflow will be more than enough to not have to wory about proper atomization..Kind of like a WET nitrous system.This is the method Stillen is employing right into the manifold...There are some here that would say it wont work or is very 1980's but for the money you will have to spend on standalones and reflashes it seems to be the most financially sound way to go..
Old 01-29-2004, 02:35 PM
G3po

Default aux injector

Just from some experience with KenneBell, they have historically added fuel via more than one method. For Dodge and Ford apps, they tend to use an aux injector bank prior to the Blower since the manifolds are sometimes full custom and avoid fuel drop out. However; on GM applications, they have found that the factroy manifolds are horribly bad at balancing Fuel+Air evenly between cylinders, so they use the "dry approach". As for NO2 system , the issue is mitigated greatly due to nozzle design the fuel is supplied directly into the "high velocity wash " of the NO2 nozzle.

So, none of this commentary should imply that there will be an issue with the Nisimo manifold, I was just curious if any speculation or data was had. It might also be found that this approach may either benefit or detract from the Crawford-type plenum than an FI dry only application. At this point seems all we know is that the Crawford design provides better air balance with little data about air+fuel.

If this setup works well with your "aux-based" system , then I would consider it a very good compromise between performance and cost. It also make it much easier to pass low RPM emission than a larger injector appraach

A note about Stillen. I'm suprised that they spray post blower, Since there is a great benefit to pre-spraying the rotors. It helps cool the roots and case and provides a very sliced and dice atomization. From the drainf of the TBR DW sytem , they clearly pre-spray.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:53 PM
daking350
Banned

You raise some good points..The 350Z stock plenum seems to cause the rear 2 cylinders to run a little leaner than the rest..This I can only speculate as it has always been the 2 rear cylinders that failed on catostrophic failures...However for cost effevtive reasons if you tune to a 11.5-12.0 AF at the 2 rear cylinders then you know your safe..The only way to accurately know is to put an O2 or EGT guage on EACH cylinder exhause..Once again defeating the cost vs performance issues...This becomes the dillema..Cost overiding performance...If I had the cash I would do a stand alone and complete custom fuel system..But obviously that would get real expensive and from a sales standpoint,not be benificial to have a fuel managment system that cost more than the actual supercharger..Would be nice to find a sponsor willing to develope such a system but most companies and shops have short arms and deep pockets..
Old 01-29-2004, 03:04 PM
G3po

Default Aux injectors

True , I think KB has kicked themselves several times for spending way too much on R&D. They perform tuning on an out of chassis dyno and do take A/F and EGT readings on each individual cylinders. Hence how they discovered the GM manifold issue. But they can get away with notoriously high A/F ratios safely. Many apps will even pass smog requs under partial boost.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:16 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

then it will have all pre-programmed A/F mixtures that should run safely on every car
There is no such thing as "runnign safe on every car".

People have different cars.....not to mention the various levels of mods that can affect things. Cars are like fingerprints - no two are the same, regardless of outward appearances. This is exactly why, as niceas the TS flash can be, its best done on the actual car its going to be run on, not via the mail.

I know a bit about this ecu, havign run with it on a couple cars before. Will be interesting to see if it can be made functional on a Z.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:46 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
There is no such thing as "runnign safe on every car".

People have different cars.....not to mention the various levels of mods that can affect things. Cars are like fingerprints - no two are the same, regardless of outward appearances. This is exactly why, as niceas the TS flash can be, its best done on the actual car its going to be run on, not via the mail.

I know a bit about this ecu, havign run with it on a couple cars before. Will be interesting to see if it can be made functional on a Z.
I concur..That is why I personally dislike the mail order reflash..
This unit was installed on 2 differen N/A Z' already and one gained 34 hp in the mid band and 18 peak hp...But on of them has a chack engine light on and off for the past 11,000 miles and gets a multiple cylinder misfire code..I personally had this code once then never again?? Another guy posted a while back that he had the misfire code then replaced his coils and was fine...This check engine light is why they have not yet released it to the N/A world although the car runs flawlessly for 11,000 miles..We will see the outcome on a F/I car soon
Old 01-31-2004, 01:38 PM
Enron Exec

To tune the A/F ourselves, we would still need a WBO2 on one of the headers? If so, can the WBO2 be a DIY install?
Old 01-31-2004, 01:42 PM
ravaz

You can install a Wideband O2 yourself, it's real easy. The only thing you might not be able to do is weld the O2 bung into the headers, but you can take that to any exhaust shop and they can do that in a few mins.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:09 PM
daking350
Banned

If you keep the stock settings in the ATI manual you should not have a problem...Just keep it rich up top from 5800-6800...I tuned up top @6400 rpms to a 12.3 and when it got cold I got a little ping.You have to be careful so I richened it up and it was fine...With timing retard it shouldnt be an issue as much..

Hey Ravaz,You still running the blower???I thought you were going turbo?
Old 01-31-2004, 02:26 PM
ravaz

Yeah, still running this blower. I'm just going to stay with it. I'm going to build this motor soon, I am actually buying a 300ZX TT and going to f*ck with that, I get bored fast, but enjoy both turbos and superchargers, so I'll have both. One day I'll post my dyno of 350Z

Bill