Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Twin Charging my Z!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 AM
SuperZ-onDPE's
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TopgunZ
I know! Trust me I want to get this thing on the dyno and see what happens. I just have a busy lifestyle and its going WAY slower than I had hoped. Trying to cram all that under the hood is a beotch. The turbo is in and all under the car work is done except I have to build a Y pipe. I still need to hit a junkyard to find a tiny washer fluid reservoir as there is no way my oem will fit. The SC is back on. Oil cooler, and guages are still laying on the floor and I need to get a long return fuel line made up and custom build a few brackets since I relocated just about everything.

Super Z's car is on the road. Props to him for his quick build and dedication. I cant beleive he has put on 200 miles and hasnt got it on the dyno. That is some serious will power there. Im going to be putting mine on a flatbed my buddy has to get it to the shop so i wont foul my plugs on the way there. My original plan was to have this done early to mid april but unforseen events occured....and her name is Ashly.

I have an open dump going on right now but have been indecisive on if i want it recirculating.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

thanks man, props and luck on your build. i hit the dyno maybe next week. ive spent some time with a friend doing some tuning. and getting the afrs right and some other bla. but i deploy in just a few days. so we will see. im working on vids now and photos.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:38 AM
SuperZ-onDPE's
Banned

The only way that it wouldnt is if it spun faster. Otherwise there isnt any added stress on it. With my 6lb pulley it will spin slower than before so it should last even longer. Which raises a question. When I want more boost...Do I put the 8.5lb pulley back on or do I tighten the wastegate? Hmmmm.......
i prefer 6psi pully so you still have traction in low gears. then get a apexi avcr or some other tuning boost guage and slowly build boost through out the gears. like first gear 6 psi. second 10psi , theird 15-18psi fourth 20-22psi so on and so forthe somthing like that.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:55 AM
TopgunZ

Ive officially ran out of space. I cannot find a spot for my catch can. Its the rectangle NRG one. I have found the new thread about catch can placement and mine wont fit anywhere those are mounted and mine appears to need to be mounted upright.

So Im wondering if I need such a massive coolant reservoir for my stillen...? Thinking about finding a smaller one.

Also, has anyone had issues with mounting anything too close to the turbo? I dont want to boil my stillen res or my engine coolant res.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Battery compartment, firewall, smaller windsheild washerfluid reservoir, smaller catch can, you dont need a big one anyways just check more often.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:24 AM
ace32x

Ive officially ran out of space. I cannot find a spot for my catch can. Its the rectangle NRG one. I have found the new thread about catch can placement and mine wont fit anywhere those are mounted and mine appears to need to be mounted upright.

So Im wondering if I need such a massive coolant reservoir for my stillen...? Thinking about finding a smaller one.

Also, has anyone had issues with mounting anything too close to the turbo? I dont want to boil my stillen res or my engine coolant res.
get longer hose and mount it down by the intercooler or somethen
Old 04-24-2012, 08:29 AM
TopgunZ

I already have a smaller windshield washer tank and engine coolant overflow tank. By about 1/4th their original sizes. One side of my intercooler sits the air intake filter and hoses from my sc intercooler and the other is crammed with pumps, oil cooler and power steering cooler. It might fit in the battery compartment...Ill try that. Ill have to buy longer lines im guessing no matter what.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:39 AM
4SHIZZIL

I think im selling the vortech and going with the stillen set up!

LMAO!

INSPIRATION!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmscS...eature=related

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 04-25-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:50 AM
TopgunZ

Sweet vid! As if im not anxious enough to get my car on the road.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:52 AM
4SHIZZIL

Sweet vid! As if im not anxious enough to get my car on the road.
little motivation and inspiration for ya man!

if they made 600+ on 1.8 liters with alcohol/gas

you can crack 400 on pump gas/waist gate pressure without even trying!

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 04-25-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:22 AM
TopgunZ

Its coming along
Old 04-26-2012, 06:27 AM
4SHIZZIL

BAD HOLY DEVIL AZZ MAN!

im itching to make the plunge now more than ever. Props for doing the unknown.

I hate followers that are scared to try things yet have all the advice in the world NOT to do this.

stalking like a hawk, keep it in the low rpms...

did you get two boost gauges yet?
Old 04-26-2012, 06:44 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just some random tuning thoughts..

The MAF is only metering the turbo and not the compound boost in the manifold. So in essence this is a blow thru AND pull thru MAF setup and the actual IAT will not be what the MAF sees making temp compensations on the ECU difficult. If it were me I'd try to tune using a MAP setup like UTEC, E-manage, Haltech. It would seem the stock ECU (osiris) by itself is going to be extremely handicapped.

Last edited by djamps; 04-26-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:47 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps

Seems like MAF tuning on this beast may be problematic. The MAF is only metering the turbo and not the compound boost in the manifold, making it very difficult to tune by ECU alone. Stillen worked around this with a 7th injector..
MAP tuning is the best way to really go on a setup like this. The MAF is metering the compound boost though since all the air still passes thru one intake.

Last edited by Quamen; 04-26-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 AM
TopgunZ

Thanks man. This build is like a sasquatch, super unknown. Or a giant hiary troll...right?...lol...

I havent yet, no. With my 8.5lb pulley I had a constant 7.5 pound readout on it. It was very consistent. Therefore I am guessing with my 6lb pulley it will consistently read 5lbs. (fooking elevation) So anything over that is what my compound will be.

Im still wondering if that open dump is going to blow my face off though. This thing is going to hit boost fast.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:51 AM
TopgunZ

The MAF is only metering the turbo and not the compound boost in the manifold. So in essence this is a blow thru AND pull thru MAF setup and the actual IAT will not be what the MAF sees making temp compensations on the ECU difficult. If it were me I'd try to tune using a MAP setup like UTEC, E-manage, Haltech. It would seem the stock ECU (osiris) by itself is going to be extremely handicapped.
UTEC is installed
Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 AM
djamps

Cool... although UTEC is kind of a beast to tune in itself and full of stupid quirks, in the proper hands it should provide the needed fuel/timing control based on MAP (assuming you've got the MAP sensor installed). Best of all since we're dealing with the 'unknown', you can set an upper boost limit and it'll cut fuel if you go over.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:02 AM
TopgunZ

Cool... although UTEC is kind of a beast to tune in itself and full of stupid quirks, in the proper hands it should provide the needed fuel/timing control based on MAP (assuming you've got the MAP sensor installed). Best of all since we're dealing with the 'unknown', you can set an upper boost limit and it'll cut fuel if you go over.

Yeah that boost cut is going to save me my build till im ready to put a bottom end in. Does the haltech have the same cut? I would have prefered a haltech but this build definitely started costing more than i had planned for. (of course)

So i do have a very gently used Stillen CAI for sale. That filter is a monster. Its 7.5" in diameter at the back. It wouldnt fit in my bumper so i bought a K&N with only a 5.5" diameter.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 AM
djamps

Yes haltech and most other standalones have overboost cut.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Nismomonkey

Holy God that is a busy engine bay. Where does everything fit? Cant wait to see that thing on a Dyno. Also, since you are tuning in Denver, if you drive the car down to earth with the rest of us normal sea level people, will that cause your boost to increase (I saw you post something about your 8lb pully reading 7 lbs) and in return that would multiply your boost past what you think its at potentially making the motor go boom? Ive never really dealt with massive elevation changes like that on a car and I am kinda curious how the thicker air will effect your set up when you drive down the mountain. Im going to assume that it wont do anything at all but just curious.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismomonkey
Holy God that is a busy engine bay. Where does everything fit? Cant wait to see that thing on a Dyno. Also, since you are tuning in Denver, if you drive the car down to earth with the rest of us normal sea level people, will that cause your boost to increase (I saw you post something about your 8lb pully reading 7 lbs) and in return that would multiply your boost past what you think its at potentially making the motor go boom? Ive never really dealt with massive elevation changes like that on a car and I am kinda curious how the thicker air will effect your set up when you drive down the mountain. Im going to assume that it wont do anything at all but just curious.
Boost will not change because the turbo will ultimately be responsible for setting boost pressure and will always make up for air density. He will just need to run a 3-5lb spring in the waste gate to hit boost in the 18-30psi range with a 6lb pulley.

As a side note I would make sure that youR waste gate pressure signal is coming from the manifold and not the volute of the turbo. I would also pay close attention for overboost if you are running anything less than 20psi total boost. The waste gate is not typically supposed to bypass as much exhaust gas as it will on a low boost compound setup and could now be restrictive.

Quick Reply: Twin Charging my Z!