Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics ST, upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:51 PM
ST350zVOLK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbonetics ST, upgrade?

Hey guys,

Alright so my issue is after my car was tuned it pulled 351whp @ 6-7 psi of boost. Not sure if it was the tuner?

I know and have read all over the forum that I should just bite the dust and buy a TT but I was just wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with upgrading these.

I was thinking maybe something along the lines of cutting off the t3 flange and welding on a t4 or v- band and then re-doing the turbo/ downpipe, maybe a t67 or something along that line that will push more power out of the car. Im not looking for anything extreme but I was really hoping that I would have hit 400whp when I bought the kit. Im not sure if I want to keep the car for another year so I dont know about building the motor yet.

It is a newer one from treadstone engineering (not sure if they changed anything, also converted to open dump tube)

I have also looked at the SFR upgrade kit for this, seems as though they have made the piping slightly bigger and went T4.
However I already forked out way to much for this kit and do not want to spend another $2400 as it just replaces the crossovers, downpipe, exhaust housing (changed to t4) and I would still be stuck with a 60-1 BB turbo. (they claim 50whp gain)

Performance mods: (just the basics if it helps)

Haltech, 3" tanabe exhaust, ID 725cc, Walbro 255, fuel return, underdrive pulleys

Opinionss!!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much torque?
Old 04-12-2012, 06:22 PM
ST350zVOLK

Had to check the dyno again,

352.4whp @ 5650 rpm and 345.2wtq @ 5100 rpm

I like the piping from the shop thats making kits a couple posts down, very close to the PL and momentum kits, however im not sure they''d just sell the piping!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I wish I could refer you to the guy that has an upgraded kit here, I can't remember who it was... He pm'd me about my TN set up that never made into the car because I chose a HKS GT S/C. Hopefully he chimes in but he did upgrade the piping and I believe the turbo as well.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:15 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

TN kit might not have much headroom, but why not just raise the boost?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Czarrr

If you want bigger numbers wouldn't you rather build some of the motor anyways?
Upgrading the turbo kit without the internals is cutting it close.

I wouldn't know. I'm not boosted
Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 PM
ST350zVOLK

ahh!! hopefully he reads the thread!

I actually daily it at 9psi (when I get to drive it), not sure of the power level but im sure its not over 370whp, I didnt even notice a difference when turned up. And yes! I would love to drop a longblock in but im afraid of the TN kit only going to like 430whp at like 18psi because of the restrictions! I read alot of bad stuff about them and I really dont want to waste 6k plus on a motor if it cant be put to proper use!

It may sound bazar however one of my friends has been running 453whp on his stock de for about 20000k with no problems and the other is running 503whp on a stock rev-up with cams. Mind-you both are on low boost however it gives some hope for me. thats why I was thinking something in the range of a t67 or something, they are running a precision 6265 and the other a jwt700 TT.

I dont think I would go that high unless I build, but I like having the option too. I would prbably be happy with 400+ well, at least for a while anyways. It doesnt get driven very often either, 830kms last year!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could always sell it and get a Boosted Performance kit? Probably would only end up going out of pocket another $2k or so with tons of room to grow.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
You could always sell it and get a Boosted Performance kit? Probably would only end up going out of pocket another $2k or so with tons of room to grow.
Yup, and he is only 200 miles south of me.

Originally Posted by ST350zVOLK
It may sound bazar however one of my friends has been running 453whp on his stock de for about 20000k with no problems and the other is running 503whp on a stock rev-up with cams. Mind-you both are on low boost however it gives some hope for me. thats why I was thinking something in the range of a t67 or something, they are running a precision 6265 and the other a jwt700 TT.

The 453whp you are refering to is a BP 6262 T4 turbo at 9 psi (spring).The JWT is a G35 at 12psi with water injection. Both tuned by the same tuner/shop on a Dynapack dyno.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 04-12-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rev-up you are talking about dosent have cams, it is a stock engine.
The tuner is the same guy that tuned my car, I was on his Mustang Dyno and it read similar to another Mustang dyno I was on in Edmonton his dyno pack does read higher than the mustang. I was maxing out his dyno pack at 520ft/bls or something like that then when we moved to the Mustang I think it was down below 500ft/lbs. I I just guessing at the numbers it was a couple engines and a few years ago. I think I put down 367whp@7psi on his Mustang dyno with my JWT 530bb kit and 230whp with a CAI, stillen exhaust and intake spacer.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 04-13-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:51 AM
dj lizard

My personal opinion on this.... Ditch that turbo kit and get something more functional if you want more.... TT is one option but it's expensive... powerlab is a great ST kit, Momentum, and Boosted performance.... these are great turbo kits offered on the market for this platform... personally I suffered from the TN kit till I throw it out the window.. I went with momentum ST made around 410whp on stock internals... BP kit can give you more than that if you wanted, but you have to rebuild the engine... you have a great EMS, and all the supporting modes needed, so why wasting all of that on such a trashy kit.... DON'T think that moding this kit will get you anywhere a friend of mind in CO tried to do that ended up with a full custom kit.. basically nothing in that kit was used... 1. intake piping wasn't sorted right 2. exhaust piping same deal 3. turbo runs throw seals like a b***h. ...... list goes on so don't waste your life trying to customize it... I know how you feel and I know it's hard to go back to square one... but you have to learn to read before you buy a kit like that and risk the 3k+ cash you spend on a kit... can't say I'm the smart kid since I already had one and suffer for it... I'm just trying to give you my opinion on it and my past experience with it.... oh by the way I also had a crack on the up-pipe..... WTF!!! I would never keep it if I were you...
Old 04-13-2012, 09:39 AM
konrad

Damn that's low , I made 415@9psi on a home build turbo kit with ebay holset hx40
Old 04-18-2012, 07:27 AM
JS04

Taurran did a fully custom TN setup. I have a upgraded TN setup as well. I made 367hp with 381tq on 8psi with just my AFRs being tuned. Now as far as upgrading. I WOULD NOT DO IT, unless you can find a kit all ready upgraded. And even then the max hp I would push would be close to 500hp. I have a GTK-650 turbo on mine which is a T4 t66. The downpipe needs to upgraded to a 3inch dp, and also the up pipe to the turbo needs to be bigger. By the time you spend the money on piping being fabbed up and getting a new turbo, you could have sold the entire kit and got something else. I just happend to luck out and got a deal on the kit, I have zero dollars invested into it. Like I said if you can get a deal on the upgraded piping cool, however if you can't just sell the whole kit.