Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: Which way to go?
Built VQ
26.47%
RB26
2.94%
LS-based engine
70.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Trying to decide which way to go...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 03:12 PM
3kgtSL91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trying to decide which way to go...

Not really a Z, but a Nissan in a way... so I am planning about building my 09 murano this winter and I just can't decide what's the best way to go...

Looking for comments/suggestions/pros and cons of one vs the other...

Option 1: Build 4.1 VQ35 twin turbo with TH400 and tubbed back with some meaty tires. Kind of similar to my brother's G35 build

Option 2: Swap an RB26DETT with AWD drivetrain... sounds like a nightmare

Option 3: Swap an LS based engine with TH400 and all the supporting mods.

Plan is to make around 1200 whp drag car with a cage and everything in it but keep it as much stock lookish as possible.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:27 PM
DB350

none of those are the ghey, which is what this thread title leaded me to believe.

in this case, any of your choices are fine
Old 05-15-2012, 03:29 PM
suprasam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drag Murano??? Cool! I say LS due to existing support. Sometimes I wish I would have gone that route but I am not a fan of the single cam "gulping" noise. Since you are considering options why not a 2JZGTTE swap? I'd prefer that over a RB because there is a ton of support in the US.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:02 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

dont bother with the VQ.

get a GM motor with a GM tranny. it will save you all the money and hassle of making adapter plates for the tranny.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:27 PM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

One thousand, two hundred horsepower.
Roll cage.
With stock look.

Not sure which way to go on that.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:26 PM
3kgtSL91

my brother's VQ makes a thousand wheel so obviously it can be done. LS is what my shop specializes in so that would pretty easy to do. RB26 will probably be the most expensive and time consuming...
Old 05-15-2012, 07:49 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

warhawk aluminum lsx block
427 or 454 cubic inchs
2x brand new http://www.precisionturbo.net/news/P...r-Released/134

nuff said, and yah i know its a bit overkill but hey its upgrade room! lol
Old 05-15-2012, 08:06 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Murano's only come in FWD or AWD. Would you be converting to RWD if you go the VQ or LS route with that kind of power?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 PM
djamps

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Murano's only come in FWD or AWD. Would you be converting to RWD if you go the VQ or LS route with that kind of power?
I was thinking the same thing... FWD platform
Old 05-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
dont bother with the VQ.

get a GM motor with a GM tranny. it will save you all the money and hassle of making adapter plates for the tranny.

All 6cyls will suck unless you get a vq40 built and turbo, but then you have to deal with transmission stuff anyway. 2jz before rb26 for cost, avalability etc. But this is a murano. You're gonna want a lot of torque for that.
Go lsX for sure. Built (higher comp stroker, new bearings, nice rods), cams, port polish, longtubes and spray the rest. Call it a day and you'll rape. Have a custom exhaust made that goes into the stock muffler with a straight through muffler halfway between the headers and the muffler, and a cutout right after the first muffler and you're set. Then just invest in lots of tires.

EDIT;
Didn't know your brother was vlad.

Last edited by Resmarted; 05-15-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Find this somewhat hard to believe... Not that many vq's on street cars make that much power, pretty sure we would have heard about it. Link?

EDIT:

You're calling for 1200whp, and you can't figure this out on your own? Seriously. I hope you're not another dreamer thread troll, because this build would be awesome, but you sound full of stinky s***.
https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds...n-monster.html

https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds...r-ver-2-a.html
Old 05-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Resmarted

Did not know this was vlads brother! Previous bs flags are revoked.

Well in that case this is probably going to happen.

Go LS.

Edit number 9999:
Read your other threads. Sucks that SP was flaky, my 7175 took a while to get and there was a lack of communication at times, but Reid seemed very stand up.

Last edited by Resmarted; 05-15-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: because
Old 05-15-2012, 09:20 PM
jerryd87

if he gets ahold of mallet they can help him keep awd, mallet has a inside source with gm, hence how they found out they could buy a certain combination of parts and bolt a ls2 and t56 into the solstice and sky without fabricating ANY parts.

cant remember which it is but one of the cadillacs comes with a 4l60E setup for AWD, transfer case bolted on the trans, the driveshafts off the same vehicle slide right into the cts-t differential which is only 900 bucks dealercost WITH limited slip, we sold em for 1300 when i worked there customer cost. put one up front one in the rear get the driveshafts cut and rewelded your good to go.

not gona be bolt in but can keep the awd traction =P the cts-v diffs are pretty stout too prob snap axles before yah break it.

mallet will be able to help source axles, driveshafts, ect. or if SP is building it mayby have them work with mallet to minimize fabrication. thats if you wanna keep awd though
Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0

Last edited by jerryd87; 05-15-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:29 PM
3kgtSL91

Did not know this was vlads brother! Previous bs flags are revoked.

Well in that case this is probably going to happen.

Go LS.

OP are you going to have SP build your car?
How's vlad's car running? Last I talked to reid he said it had been sitting in the shop...
I will not have SP touch any of my stuff. Did you read the thread under the second link with all the issues on Vlad's car? Also i took my mustang to SP in 2008 before I started my own shop and I prepaid for everything (that was back in the days when Chris was still around) and the mustang is still sitting at their shop and not done. I finally decided to give up on them and i am pulling that out of SP next week.

I will be converting it to RWD with 9" rear end, custom drag suspension and stuff. I understand all the trolling comments, you probably do see those quite often, but I am pretty serious and other the murano I have other high hp projects that are getting done so I wouldn't start a thread to troll about stuff like this. At first I was like i'll keep the VQ because since it's a nissan, it's got to have a nissan heart in it, but seems like LS will be much easier and cheaper in the long run. Our shop corvetter makes 2k+ hp so i know a lot about LS platform because that is what 50+% of my business is, but i still like imports and that's why i am debating VQ vs LS at this point.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:31 PM
3kgtSL91

Edit number 9999:
Read your other threads. Sucks that SP was flaky, my 7175 took a while to get and there was a lack of communication at times, but Reid seemed very stand up.
Reid is a great guy, but he can only do so much and seems like SP unfortunately is not in the best financial position right now
Old 05-15-2012, 09:33 PM
3kgtSL91

Originally Posted by jerryd87
if he gets ahold of mallet they can help him keep awd, mallet has a inside source with gm, hence how they found out they could buy a certain combination of parts and bolt a ls2 and t56 into the solstice and sky without fabricating ANY parts.

cant remember which it is but one of the cadillacs comes with a 4l60E setup for AWD, transfer case bolted on the trans, the driveshafts off the same vehicle slide right into the cts-t differential which is only 900 bucks dealercost WITH limited slip, we sold em for 1300 when i worked there customer cost. put one up front one in the rear get the driveshafts cut and rewelded your good to go.

not gona be bolt in but can keep the awd traction =P the cts-v diffs are pretty stout too prob snap axles before yah break it.

mallet will be able to help source axles, driveshafts, ect. or if SP is building it mayby have them work with mallet to minimize fabrication. thats if you wanna keep awd though
i don't think keeping AWD is going to be the best idea, after all it's going to be a drag car and i am thinking of doing similar setup as on my brother's car with TH400 and tubb the rear end to fit fat slicks
Old 05-15-2012, 09:35 PM
jerryd87

if i could afford it i would love a NRE engine in mine. just cant afford a 50k engine lol but i still drool over the 427 twin turbo he builds. i would say lsx all the way since your gona have to fab alot anyway. or like i mentioned in the lsx questions thread, gen 3 viper engines are going for about the same as a ls2 now and quite a bit more displacement to work with.

that might make it harder to use a th400 though since the bolt pattern is different.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:37 AM
Resmarted

After dealing with my vq35.... I'd never recommend one again lol. For the money I spent on a rather tame block/cams.... Could have had a 2j+parts that are stronger and more reliable.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:07 AM
bigcloud

If you can't make it RWD or keep the AWD then I would go with the FWD LS4 and Torque Steer your way to 10's. Meaty front tires FTW....lol.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:22 AM
3kgtSL91

i wouldn't even bother with FWD, it's got to be RWD or AWD

Quick Reply: Trying to decide which way to go...