Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

I've got a build or something *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:34 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Resmarted
I wouldn't have guessed it's the intense car because I'm pretty sure they cracked a sleeve?

So there are powerlab kits making power other than the intense G! That's good.

I'm curious to see how this turbo matches up. I'd like to see it flow out to 8.5k and have decent transient response (although I'll definitely setup the boost to roll in)
LOL It doesn't have a cracked sleeve. I wonder who started that false rumor. Han still street drives the car on the 37R turbo.

Good luck with your setup. My concern would be your intentions to run it up to 8500RPM on the rev-up oil pump. The rev-up oil pump failed when Sound Performance revved that high on their shop car. I wouldn't attempt to rev that high without a Nismo oil pump or a dry sump setup. I don't have much faith in the stock oil pump (including the revup version) for going beyond 7500RPM.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
LOL It doesn't have a cracked sleeve. I wonder who started that false rumor. Han still street drives the car on the 37R turbo.

Good luck with your setup. My concern would be your intentions to run it up to 8500RPM on the rev-up oil pump. The rev-up oil pump failed when Sound Performance revved that high on their shop car. I wouldn't attempt to rev that high without a Nismo oil pump or a dry sump setup. I don't have much faith in the stock oil pump (including the revup version) for going beyond 7500RPM.
I've talked to hal about this and he doesn't see much issue with revving that high aside from making power out there (I obviously agree, no sense in revving out if it's going to slow you down).

And I believe SP broke a nismo oil pump... alongside a set of pauters... and the input shaft on their transmission...

But thanks! I need some luck to finish this thing. Keep running into crap that needs to be done aside from the car. Fittings should be here soon to start putting in the fuel lines. And need to install the clutch bracket.... wiring... boost lines... etc.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:04 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

No, it was indeed a revup oil pump.

https://my350z.com/forum/7171867-post34.html
Old 07-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Resmarted

No, it was indeed a revup oil pump.

https://my350z.com/forum/7171867-post34.html
Huh, I thought they broke a nismo one too.

Well, I'm not going to pay 1k for that thing. My buddy picked up a 6 stage dry sump pump setup for about 600$ shipped.

If it fails, I'll just make a dry sump setup with the spare oil pan I have, pull everything out () and then hook her all up again.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:42 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if your pump fails, you will need more than a spare oil pan. i dont even like running my rev-up pump out to 8000.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:54 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
Depends on where you live. If I had to watch weather reports 24/7 I'd hardly ever drive my car. 99% of the time I'm fine but I have been caught in torrential downpours at least once per year.
this is true. It happens here in the midwest too. Especially now. With all this 110*+ heat there have been nasty isolated thunderstorms that develop in 5 minutes and rip through the area. That's a big reason why I haven't driven my car in 3 weeks. So ya, accidental rain happens which is how I've driven mine in the rain and learned that the air filter 2" off the ground isn't a big deal. I just don't like it with drag radials though.

I've taken my rev-up pump out to 8700 on my last engine. Only reason I don't rev it past 8k now is due to the higher chance of any type of failure. I'm tired of working on my car so I don't push it as hard. Never really worried about the oil pump though. Not that my opinion means it is a safe thing to do though.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by str8dum1
if your pump fails, you will need more than a spare oil pan. i dont even like running my rev-up pump out to 8000.
Like a whole spare block i have sitting in my garage?

If i hear something haneous coming from my engine bay after a pull you can bet your *** im getting it towed back to my place.

And the way i drive my car, it wont see those rpms often. I trust what dynosty says (have talked to hal and dustin both about rpm limits) and understand these oil pumps dont have a good design for high rpm use. Just like the eagle rod discussion ive made an
informed decision about this and am not chamging my mind. Thats with all due respect rich.

Last edited by Resmarted; 07-18-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:25 PM
str8dum1

i'm am just way more paranoid now.

get the car with a flat trq curve to 8000 rpms 1st.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Resmarted

i'm am just way more paranoid now.

get the car with a flat trq curve to 8000 rpms 1st.
Yeah i can agree with that! Time to scrub off this hangover and get back to work
Old 07-19-2012, 02:43 PM
mafoor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are your plans for oiling? Going to run an oil restrictor, and if so what size? What about a check valve? Did you plan on making a little catch tank like sashas kits?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by mafoor
What are your plans for oiling? Going to run an oil restrictor, and if so what size? What about a check valve? Did you plan on making a little catch tank like sashas kits?
Yes checkvalves etc, no restrictor, that's probably not a good idea on a JB turbo. It's going to have it's own filter etc, a separate oil system running different oil etc. May even buy another exa pump.

Oh and I don't know why I said the dp was 3" it's 3.5".

Last edited by Resmarted; 07-19-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:44 PM
mafoor

Yea ive read mixed things about using restrictors with JB turbos. I was asking because i am building my own kit myself with a JB 6266 (just finally got the turbo) and was wondering which route you were going.

So your doing a self contained oil system? This build should be pretty epic!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:57 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

THIS^^^

If i hear something haneous coming from my engine bay after a pull you can bet your *** im getting it towed back to my place.
By the time you realize you have a problem, it will be to late. Trust me on this. It would be more fun to have the satisfaction of ventilating the block rather than just watch your oil pressure slowly diminish.

Looking forward to your results and to see if the separate oiling setup comes to fruition, that would be new ground
Old 07-20-2012, 09:46 AM
str8dum1

the best way is to measure the oil pressure at the turbo. should only be ~30psi. Anything more and you can start pushing oil past the seals.

Originally Posted by mafoor
Yea ive read mixed things about using restrictors with JB turbos. I was asking because i am building my own kit myself with a JB 6266 (just finally got the turbo) and was wondering which route you were going.

So your doing a self contained oil system? This build should be pretty epic!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Resmarted

the best way is to measure the oil pressure at the turbo. should only be ~30psi. Anything more and you can start pushing oil past the seals.
Ive yet to confirm this with precision themselves but ive heard from reputable sources its fine to run precisions up to 80psi. I was planing on making a little pressure regulator with dial and a little adjustable handle just for this purpose.
The issue with a stand alone oil system like mine you get steady pressure throughout the revs so you dont really want to push it to max psi all the time but you need it fairly close so that when you do make high boost pulls theres plenty of oil running through. Im probably going to set the pressure to be just a few psi short of what the factory pump puts out on highest pressure levels.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Honda2Nismo

My oil pump failed at idle (Rev up) so just be careful **Broken Record**
Old 07-20-2012, 10:17 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

supposedly the HR pump will fit if you get rid of one of the dowels or elongate the hole. it has a much thicker gear in it supposedly the same as the nismo(although ive also heard the nismo is identical to the rev up)

http://g35driver.com/forums/engine-d...omparison.html

personally im confident in my revup though but thats just me.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:38 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda2Nismo
My oil pump failed at idle (Rev up) so just be careful **Broken Record**
how did it fail? do you have pics of this failed unit? Something must have been horribly wrong with it to fail at a low rpm so i'm curious what parts would have failed.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by jerryd87
supposedly the HR pump will fit if you get rid of one of the dowels or elongate the hole. it has a much thicker gear in it supposedly the same as the nismo(although ive also heard the nismo is identical to the rev up)

http://g35driver.com/forums/engine-d...omparison.html

personally im confident in my revup though but thats just me.
In the OP of that g35driver thread, he said that the HR oil pump appeared to be identical to the Nismo pump and can bolt onto a DE motor. I'll have to look into the validity of that. If so, I wonder what the price of an HR pump is versus the Nismo.

The rev-up oil pump is not identical to the Nismo pump.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Resmarted

In the OP of that g35driver thread, he said that the HR oil pump appeared to be identical to the Nismo pump and can bolt onto a DE motor. I'll have to look into the validity of that. If so, I wonder what the price of an HR pump is versus the Nismo.

The rev-up oil pump is not identical to the Nismo pump.
Yeah im curious too. May be worth dropping the subframe and pulling the upper pan to swap if it is.

The rev up is "identical" to the de pump. The differences are a different material for the inner cog (.4oz heavier and harder material) and i think a different spring for like 17% or so higher pressure than de pumps

Last edited by Resmarted; 07-21-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply: I've got a build or something *PICS*