Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

VQ35DE 5AT G35 Build (By Dynosty)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Triji

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(lol) ..... Last I heard she was on a transport heading to Mexico! Time to go hunting!

Seriously though hopefully pretty soon... A couple of things have taken longer than expected such as the Kelford cams and waiting in cue for the painting of the engine bay / core support. Wanted to get that taken care of when the engine was out because the stock engine bay of a Twilight Blue coupe for some reason looks hideous and unfinished.

Also found out that the 'high performance' TQ converter that I had AAMCO install when I got the tranny rebuilt had stripped threads on it and I am not even sure what the hell they installed... Looks more like a re-man than anything 'high performance' as specified... So Dynosty is getting a legit TQ converter installed...

That seems to be the last thing we are waiting on and then they can start getting her back together.

Hope to have her back pretty soon though as I am starting to miss her...

Got a couple of pics to share though and the color scheme I picked out seems to be working out pretty well thus far... Can't wait to see her in all her glory though!

That's it for now... Hope to have more to update on soon

Polished Crawford and anodized blue... ATI pulley...

Tomei Headers...

Mongrol who the hell knows AAMCO TQ converter...

Stripped threads on TQ Converter...

Old 07-22-2013, 06:30 PM
JaE35z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so pretty
Old 07-23-2013, 12:01 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ouch, 5 months so far.... but thats seems very standard for a shop build, unfortunately.

a vortech install and putting the motor back in the car takes ~1 day. I've done it many times. Hopefully, that means you should have yours back pretty soon (without many more delays)!

Originally Posted by str8dum1
i would get a deadline in writing. Could easily turn into 3 months turnaorund as thats common at all shops when the owner is not local.

Last edited by str8dum1; 07-23-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Triji

Yeah, I didn't go into this with any illusions of it being done quick... Plus waiting on the polishing of the Crawford and the powdercoating of parts takes time. I have also been trying to stay off this board so I don't get any more 'bright ideas' which would take time...

Something to keep in mind also is when you are told something will take one week, think three... That seems to be par for the course with shop builds as you mentioned so you just have to roll with it and keep a positive attitude. Just means my truck gets more of a workout until I get her back... As I said before I would rather have her done right than done fast which is why I shipped her to Hal and Eddie there at Dynosty.

Originally Posted by str8dum1
ouch, 5 months so far.... but thats seems very standard for a shop build, unfortunately.

a vortech install and putting the motor back in the car takes ~1 day. I've done it many times. Hopefully, that means you should have yours back pretty soon (without many more delays)!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Triji
Yeah, I didn't go into this with any illusions of it being done quick... Plus waiting on the polishing of the Crawford and the powdercoating of parts takes time. I have also been trying to stay off this board so I don't get any more 'bright ideas' which would take time...

Something to keep in mind also is when you are told something will take one week, think three... That seems to be par for the course with shop builds as you mentioned so you just have to roll with it and keep a positive attitude. Just means my truck gets more of a workout until I get her back... As I said before I would rather have her done right than done fast which is why I shipped her to Hal and Eddie there at Dynosty.
What exhaust setup are you going to run?
Why not go for Long Tubes while the engine is out of the car?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Triji

Originally Posted by Resmarted
What exhaust setup are you going to run?
Why not go for Long Tubes while the engine is out of the car?
AZ emissions... Need cats... Going with Motiv HF cats and pairing that up with my HKS exhaust. Plus with the SC I need a little bit of backpressure to get the most out of her... SC's for some reason do not like a wide open exhaust to scream out of like a Turbo does.

I think though that I will have an X pipe built for the HKS... Unless I go for a motordyne in the future... But for now the HKS will do the trick.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:13 AM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Car is coming along nicely! The blue looks good!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:56 AM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Your Car is Looking Great!!!!!!

My SC Loves Open Headers, will let you know the results from this up coming winter Drags......Of course this is just for the Drags.

AZ emissions... Need cats... Going with Motiv HF cats and pairing that up with my HKS exhaust. Plus with the SC I need a little bit of backpressure to get the most out of her... SC's for some reason do not like a wide open exhaust to scream out of like a Turbo does.

I think though that I will have an X pipe built for the HKS... Unless I go for a motordyne in the future... But for now the HKS will do the trick.
Attached Thumbnails VQ35DE 5AT G35 Build (By Dynosty)-p1010012.jpg  
Old 07-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Triji

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Your Car is Looking Great!!!!!!

My SC Loves Open Headers, will let you know the results from this up coming winter Drags......Of course this is just for the Drags.
Thnx!

How does that work for the TQ down low like that? I actually noticed a bit of difference down low going from straight pipes back to cats... May not have had as much up top with the cats but I felt a bit more punch down low in the curve for some reason... At least in the scientific 'butt dyno'...

Going thru a ton of threads I have also noticed others say the same thing about needing a bit of backpressure to get full benefit from their Vortech... Some even had dyno graphs but I'll be damned if I can find those again.

That setup looks badass though, would love to see some fire breathing outta those!

Old 07-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Triji

Originally Posted by meanz
Car is coming along nicely! The blue looks good!
Thanks!.... Looking forward to getting acquainted with her again! Going on three years now since I have had her on the road.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:05 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Car feels stronger from about 3500 rpm on up. It may have a slight less punch between Idle and 3500, but I don't care about that area for drag racing, and Centrifical SC's don't work well at low rpm anyway.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:20 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

saying a car likes back pressure is how you know to ignore fools, no car likes back pressure. HOWEVER superchargers DO like exhaust scavenging just like NA, and often times different exhaust pieces do different things, a full open well designed exhaust will provide the best result, but that requires custom for tube lengths and diameters.

Thnx!

How does that work for the TQ down low like that? I actually noticed a bit of difference down low going from straight pipes back to cats... May not have had as much up top with the cats but I felt a bit more punch down low in the curve for some reason... At least in the scientific 'butt dyno'...

Going thru a ton of threads I have also noticed others say the same thing about needing a bit of backpressure to get full benefit from their Vortech... Some even had dyno graphs but I'll be damned if I can find those again.

That setup looks badass though, would love to see some fire breathing outta those!

Old 07-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Triji

Wish I could find the threads... Think there were a couple Vortech's that had straight pipes and actually saw a loss of power and then when switched to HF cats they saw an increase...

Doesn't matter too much anyway since I need cats out here to pass emissions... I did as good as I could with the breathing going with Kelford cams, Tomei headers, Motiv HF cats and my current HKS exhaust... hope they play well together.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:19 AM
jrob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/486984-vortech-tuned-with-motordyne-xyz-pipe-and-art-pipes-interesting-results.html

This is the only one I recall seeing.
As jerry said though it's not about "back pressure" it's about scavenging characteristics. As near as I can tell that is about putting the right amount of resistance in the right spot for the best velocity. Just what I've read someone feel free to correct me.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Triji

You got it, that's one of em, thanks!

I should probably have used the word 'resistance' rather than back pressure but it's good that you all know what I meant.

Originally Posted by jrob
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486984

This is the only one I recall seeing.
As jerry said though it's not about "back pressure" it's about scavenging characteristics. As near as I can tell that is about putting the right amount of resistance in the right spot for the best velocity. Just what I've read someone feel free to correct me.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:58 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Any Progres???

You going to ship it back or drive it??

That engine sure is puurrrdy
Old 08-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Triji

Thanks, yeah I think the engine is looking good in that scheme

The engine bay is painted, the TQ converter came back and the engine is now in the car and mated up to the tranny... Have not updated the post as I have no new pics to post up yet and everyone always likes pics when you update.

I will most likely have it shipped back as it's a pretty long drive from KY to AZ and I would not want any 'gremlins' rearing their heads on that drive. With Dynosty doing the build I probably would not have any issues but I always tend to play it safe.

Shouldn't be long now though...

Originally Posted by eZg
Any Progres???

You going to ship it back or drive it??

That engine sure is puurrrdy

Last edited by Triji; 08-10-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:45 AM
Zume

Default HKS Exhaust chime in.

FWIW-
Disappointed with HKS exhaust. I'm completely re-building it.

Cross-over tube-

...added more hangers.

Adding V-Band clamps-

Check with Hal on the HKS.

BTW great thread.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Triji

^^ I have been looking into this actually... Thinking about going with a X crossover there and do away with the H pipe all together. Magnaflow has a decent crossover I have been looking into for just that. I have an early model of the HKS so I think I am effected with this design flaw as well...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/10791/10002/-1

Old 08-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Zume

My understanding is with a turbo(s) the cross-over or X-Tube may not be as important.

One of the reasons I fixed this was the flow blockage. And the fact that I paid big money for the "high quality" exhaust only to find that in the manufacture process there were a lot of flaws.

Make sure it is well supported. When I got my came back ultimately the entire exhaust system was supported only by the (2 X) 3 down pipe flange bolts and at the very back by the rear bumper.

The front big U shaped bracket bolted to the transmission was removed and was missing. Additionally, in the back the hangers were mis-aligned or were just not used...

more fine tuning....this is allowing me more ground clearance.

Quick Reply: VQ35DE 5AT G35 Build (By Dynosty)