Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

New Z, New build.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 12:03 AM
350zTTnTx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New Z, New build.

I posted in the new member area, but wanted to share I'm going down the long road of F/I modded Z. Now I know a post is nothing with out pictures and will update as soon as I get my car back from the shop. I bought an 03 350z with a blown motor and supercharger kit as well as an 05 parts 350z from the same person. I literally haven't seen the 350z since I purchased it back in October 2013. I work in Oklahoma and have my car at NTX Speed and machine in Dallas tx. So the long list of mods that I am attempting is as follows. Ditch the supercharger kit for Greddy twin turbos, and intercooler. Next I'm rebuilding the whole motor basically everything but the crank. The block will be sleeved with LA sleeves. H beam rods, JE pistons, performance bearings, arp head studs, Comtechi head gasket, complete valve job, and 750cc injectors. I'm actually not sure about cams and if I'm spending the money for little cost efficiency. Would appreciate y'all's input on the cams.
I will also add an Uprev emanage system, turbo timer, boost controller, aluminum radiator, J&S safeguard and Greddy oil cooler as well as the necessary gauges. Because there is no emission standard in Ok I will delete the cats and add RSR exhaust. I am driving a manual 6sp so it will get a Cyn R Gy stage 3 clutch and lighter flywheel. I may have forgotten something that I have and haven't mentioned but will update if I did. Now like I said I'm new to the forum and wasn't planning on joining one but I find my self on here reading y'all's builds and details so I figured I would join. (Started feeling at home) That's why there is a serious lack of photos, and I'm unable to take them when I'm in a different state. But I'll make it up to you guys and take as many as possible when the car is complete in the next 1-2 weeks or atleast that's what I was told. If you guys happen to see something you think I'm missing let me know. My HP/trq goal is not 750+ or even 1000+ I'm shooting for reliability and around 500whp. The car is not going to be daily driven, more of just a fun car for weekends and shows. With all that said, I'm excited to get to meet some of you guys at some car events. If you happen to live in the Dallas, tx area or the Oklahoma City area let me know so we could meet sometime.
~Chris

(I tried attaching 2 pics of my car and the parts car as well hope they worked)
Attached Thumbnails New Z, New build.-image.jpg  
Old 01-24-2014, 02:39 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Read up on issues with people sleeving blocks on the VQ over the years.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:50 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

pretty aggressive build list…I agree with the above sleeve'd comment…if you looking for 500whp sleeving is overkill. and I would drop a set of slightly more aggressive cams in there such as JWT S2. what are you doing about your fuel system prior to the injectors? I can only assume youre going return-style? wlbro 255 pump?

interesting build and I'd love to see & hear more as you progress -

Last edited by bealljk; 01-24-2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:09 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Welcome!

Is NTX going to tune it? Best to get the builder and tuner done at the same place IF they have experience with FI VQ's. Lessens the finger pointing.

If you are going to sleeve it you def need larger injectors and higher power goals.

It will be VERY enjoyable when done.....but damn that joy gets expensive.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:07 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Same thing here, sleeve is overkill for your intended target #s
Old 01-24-2014, 08:18 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Since you said the car should be done in the next coming weeks the only advice i can really say is keep a safe tune with moderate AFRs and have fun!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 957 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmt7011
I will also add an Uprev emanage system, turbo timer, boost controller, aluminum radiator, J&S safeguard and Greddy oil cooler as well as the necessary gauges. Because there is no emission standard in Ok I will delete the cats and add RSR exhaust.
Why get all the separate units. After you buy, install and use them you will realize that you overspent and are locked out of making anything useful of all your parts.

1. Uprev....one time license or are you buying a cable yourself
2. Boost controller - why not get a unit that can tune and control boost ( haltech)
3. Turbo timer...not really necessary unless you really just want to walk away from your car with it running to look cool. If it is a weekend toy then hopefully it is garaged. While you are letting the oil cool down, why dont you pop the hood and inspect. Then just shut the engine off when your done.
4. Gauges...good start. Get a wideband, boost and oil temp gauge and if you want to spend the money, EGT. I would suggest again getting a haltech. You can get DUAL widebands that integrate into the unit and you can integrate a boost gauge/sensor into your haltech so that what you see on the gauge is what your haltech sees. Also means you dont need 2 map sensor taps.

Do they make RSR exhaust anymore?

Why the greddy oil cooler? Your better off making your own.

Sleeves are overkill and the first sign of a dreamer.

2 weeks...I wouldnt hold your breath if i was you.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:35 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Dreamer thread it is.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:08 AM
gixxert

Where in Oklahoma are you? What did you do with the supercharger?
Old 01-25-2014, 04:48 PM
DrummerGirl

lol damn that'll be nice but how about you invest in some brakes so you can stop with all that power.

Goodluck with your build, can't wait to see pics of the car and dyno sheets.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:53 PM
350zTTnTx

http://s998.photobucket.com/user/Cxt...bile%20Uploads

Wow so I didn't realize the mods moved my thread, sorry I haven't replied to any of you guys! I'm going the through now and going to answer some questions.

As far as why I'm sleeving the block.
I feel that over building it is better in the long run. You're right it is over kill but I feel half my build is as well. I also got the sleeves at cost so it wasn't to hard to say good deal. I mean I don't need l19 head studs but yet those are there as well.
The fuel system
I originally bought the AAM fuel return kit. After reading a bunch of unhappy people with it I opted for the fuel CJM stage 2 kit. Plus The CJM twin pump assembly. It was a steep price but turning up the boost sometime so I figure I'll need it. I'm also purchased 850cc deatschwerks injectors to help push that puppy .
As far as tuning.
Well NTX has never tuned with uprev. They said they are willing to give it a shot because they've tuned a lot of other nissian cars like gtrs and 240's. So I was going to take it to PRT they are located just down the street and an authorized tuner and seller of uprev. So I'm getting the Tuner software so It can be re flashed if needed.

I've been tossing and turning weather to go full standalone or not. It's a nightmare. Anyone that's done one or the other I would love some advice. Or help deciding.

Lol so you called it as far as the build being on time. I've added and subtracted about a million times and a million different parts. Luckily NTX has been patient with me. You were right about the exhaust it's gone. So I'm buying a local exhaust kit from a dealer in Addison. It's 2.5 inch and has a good sound. The turbo timer yea you called it for the time being, it's to be cool kinda. But also I just feel letting the car cool off a little extra is good without me monitoring it.
Oil cooler I dropped greedy it was very expensive and NTX said go eBay no need to waste the money on it. The helped pick one out seems pretty legit. Plus they messed up and sent me 3 of them. They told me to keep them...because I purchased from China. The return was 225 they didn't want them back lol.
I currently live in Bethany warr acres area of Oklahoma. So I guess in Oklahoma City.
The supercharger is currently sitting in NTX shop. Not sure what I'm doing with it. Because I don't know if it runs. It sat on the original car for 3 years without turning on. I can't sell it in good faith not knowing if it's ok. But I may find out.

So the final thing, about the breaks I'm just about tapped out ATM lol. The original budget for this car was blown away. And I mean 15k was come and go I'm now around 23 just in parts. The brakes will probably wait a little. But it will be something that I put on the car just not now.

Ultimately the boost will be turned up and I'll push probably around 600 something when it's all said and done. Hopefully. But I over shot every idea I had and spent way more then I intended. But the car should be ready April 20th is my official date. I've quit buying parts and told them to just go with what I got. I can't keep putting money in it right now. There was no contingency plan on my part lol. I'll gladly post dyno and pictures soon. I've only got a couple pictures now.

Last edited by 350zTTnTx; 03-24-2014 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old 03-24-2014, 07:00 PM
350zTTnTx

I'm currently trying to post pictures if anyone cares to help me out here lol, I'm completely lost. My first pictures didn't show up at all.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:44 PM
350zTTnTx

Default Finally Finished I think W/ Pics

So I took a long leave of absence from the forum while my car was sitting and doing nothing. Not that i didn't log on, just i didn't have anything to post until i was finished. Thankfully I finished (I Hope)

The long Process starts:

Engine removal and prep.

Block Bored for sleeves

Sleeves installed

New Crank, Balanced

Rods and pistons installed

After the motor Build I had to wait for all the parts to Arrive which took way longer then i thought.

Parts getting ready for Reassembly

Getting Everything Assembled

Z1 6 Puck Clutch

CJM fuel Rails and Injectors installed W/ Cooling mod and Nismo Thermostat

Fuel lines and Z1 motor mounts

Motor getting ready to go in

At this point everything was fully assembled and time to drop it in!!!

Motor in and starting to run the piping

Plenum Assembly and Aeromotive fuel regulator installed

Intercooler hooked up

Oil cooler installed

Motor Finished!!! Put the Battery in the Trunk.

Install Greddy boost controller

Boost Controller

Fuel System and Fuel Filter hooked up!<br/>CJM twin pump,Fuel return, and fuel filter

Sway Bars installed

So after everything was finished it was time to Start it up!

Old brakes!

New Brakes!

Wheels and Brakes

What she looked like

What she looks like now!
Final Build Tally
Engine:
LA sleeves
H beam rods
JE pistons
ACL race bearings
Arp head studs
Comtechi head gasket
Heads Ported/polished
5 angle valve job
850cc deatschwerks injectors
Greddy 18G TT
Kinetix velocity plenum
Greddy intercooler
GSP Radiator
Pathfinder coolant mod
Nismo thermostat
Greddy oil cooler
HPS hose upgrade
Uprev Osiris tune
z1 motor mounts
CJM stage 3 Fuel system
Z1 6 puck clutch and flywheel

Suspension/Wheels:
Ksport Fully adjustable
MB 18inch wheels
Stoptech front and rear brakes
Hotschiks front and rear Sway bars
JIC strut bar

Exterior:
Blue Tiger Camo wrap
VIS viper Carbon hood

Interior:
BONE STOCK
Im sure i have forgotten Something but really its been a long time i think i got the majority in here!!
So I have some parts on here that aren't in the pictures or up to date. Im still making changes to my build but its finally finished for the most part. So here is the update! if any of you are in San Antonio or Dallas contact me!
The Shop that built it show cases the Car at their car meets in Dallas pm me for info! I have a video of it being tuned ill post link a little later! Currently it is making 365rwhp on 7 pounds of boost. I did Catch a boost leak on my HKS blow off valve when we tuned. its fixed now so number may be a little better!! Looking to turn it up to about 18 or 20 Will see what that gets me after the engine is broken in!

Last edited by 350zTTnTx; 04-13-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:24 AM
ksuberk54

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember those cars being for sale last year. Nice build. Terrible paint job IMHO
Old 04-14-2015, 09:31 AM
350zTTnTx

Originally Posted by ksuberk54
I remember those cars being for sale last year. Nice build. Terrible paint job IMHO
I'm not sure if you're talking about my stock paint color or the wrap that I can peel off...?
Old 04-14-2015, 11:23 AM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

I love your build, only thing your missing is a engine tuck .... lmao. Love the progress.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:57 AM
woody03

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice build man. Glad you were able to get it completed.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:39 PM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah very good parts list. Nice build man and glad she's up and running.

I dig the car a lot more without the wrap tho, just sayin'.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:45 PM
jonnyidfw

Looks pretty good! I am currently doing PRETTY much the same exact build as we speak..... Except I went with Darton Sleeves, C8 Cams, ID 2000cc Injectors and Haltech. How is your running? Im sure it is fun to drive, to say the Least!
Old 04-14-2015, 04:02 PM
350zTTnTx

Lol getting a lot of hate for the wrap, honestly I like it. Its something diffrent and you don't exactly see it everyday. Plus a lot of people have said that the pictures don't do it any good, looks better in person...or they are just being nice to my face . oh well. I can always get a new one in 6 months or so as well She's running great, no problems so far although she really is just a weekend car I only have about 100 miles give or take. The reason I went uprev vs haltech is well the price point. The only diffrence is haltech costs more upfront, cost more to tune and only real benefit is running e85 or ras gas. While it's great I only drive it 1 or 2 times a month. it was a hard justification for me and I can always upgrade. As far as cams go, well I want some but again the stock ones are good for a lot of power I'm not going more then about 650whp. The z gets really squirrely with much over 550whp Or so I've heard.

Quick Reply: New Z, New build.