Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Multi-disc clutch feedback: owners only please

Old 05-04-2014, 08:23 PM
psychoballistic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multi-disc clutch feedback: owners only please

So the time has come when I have to look into a new clutch. Currently I have the carbonetics triple carbon docs setup, which I have been very happy with the past four years.

Recently, we were slipping above 760whp on the dyno, and upon pulling it out, it's burnt up in some spots. Regardless to say I have to get a new flywheel as well as I have a tooth broken on mine.

I have been considering going with another ATS series triple, since carbonetics is no more, but some have mentioned the OS Giken series clutches, primarily the triple and the quad setups.

I cannot seem top fin anything solid with guys that have had a comparison. My big reason for the carbonetics, is that the engagement has been the closest thing to stock I could find. In addition to holding the power and driving well, i do plan on turning it up a bit more as I am no where near the max on the turbos.

My questions comes down to this, for those with OS Giken setups or any other multi disc clutch setup, what are you running in terms of power and how is your engagement?

I'd like to consolidate the information here for future reference for others that may run into a similar situation. On/off setups are not something I want to look at as this is still a street car, even though the car still sees track time.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:29 AM
phunk2

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a OSGiken twin in my 370z. Drives like **** compared to my Carbonetics twin in my 350z. The RJM adjustable clutch pedal made it 400% better but it still drives like ****.

Performance from it is great, but my DD 370z is no where near 750+ hp. It behaves exactly how I would want it to for racing. It just sucks for daily driving. Its an on/off switch, and engages ALLLLLLLLLL the way at the top. I mean, push the clutch down what feels like 1mm of travel, and the clutch is disengaged. Let up 1mm, and its fully engaged. yes I can adjust the point around between the pedal and the master adjustment, but this is describing the natural character of the clutch. I would not hesitate to use it in a track car... but I would think twice and explore other options before using it again in a daily driver.

I loved my Carbonetics twin. Its lasted almost 10 years in the 350z and the new owner is only getting rid of it now because he is going for more power than it will hold.

Last edited by phunk2; 05-05-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:21 PM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by phunk2
I have a OSGiken twin in my 370z. Drives like **** compared to my Carbonetics twin in my 350z. The RJM adjustable clutch pedal made it 400% better but it still drives like ****.

Performance from it is great, but my DD 370z is no where near 750+ hp. It behaves exactly how I would want it to for racing. It just sucks for daily driving. Its an on/off switch, and engages ALLLLLLLLLL the way at the top. I mean, push the clutch down what feels like 1mm of travel, and the clutch is disengaged. Let up 1mm, and its fully engaged. yes I can adjust the point around between the pedal and the master adjustment, but this is describing the natural character of the clutch. I would not hesitate to use it in a track car... but I would think twice and explore other options before using it again in a daily driver.

I loved my Carbonetics twin. Its lasted almost 10 years in the 350z and the new owner is only getting rid of it now because he is going for more power than it will hold.
Thanks for the input. That is what I was afraid of as I know the Carbonetics, now ATS, are known for the fantastic engagement. I got a solid four years out of it, so I cannot complain.

Appreciate the feedback good sir!
Old 05-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have no reviews or feedback, but have you looked at the aasco/tilton setup? Hal had a tilton carbon triple from what i remember.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Recklezzz

I am in the same boat as you. My ats twin is warped and starting to slip. I was looking at Spec clutch's but can't pull the trigger unless i get more feed back from people that have them. My twin disc is 10years old and actually was holding 650Tq on a dynojet last year. Shows you there quality in products. Has roughly 40K miles on it.

I might just be a cheap *** and start ramp boosting. No need for all that torque in a street car. Keep the high boost in the higher rpms and keep the torque down. Might be a option for you if you ems or boost controller is capable.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:54 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started with a Clutchmasters twin disk. It was supposed to be good to 600 hp, but fried the first time I launched it hard with 500 hp. I replaced it with a Carbonetics triple disk. The Carbonetics is much smoother and easier to drive, as well as being much stronger. I'm not sure if the Carbonetics triple disk clutch is still available, though (I bought mine over 5 years ago).
Old 05-05-2014, 05:42 PM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
I started with a Clutchmasters twin disk. It was supposed to be good to 600 hp, but fried the first time I launched it hard with 500 hp. I replaced it with a Carbonetics triple disk. The Carbonetics is much smoother and easier to drive, as well as being much stronger. I'm not sure if the Carbonetics triple disk clutch is still available, though (I bought mine over 5 years ago).
The triple from carbonetics is now ATS... Used to be a cross between ATS and across, but Yasu in California still has access to the production models... Sound like I'm going to just go with another ATS triple carbon.

The tilton setup is super nice and rebuild able, but it is another on off with no engagement. Unfortunately not for me at this point in time. If I was to go to a tilton, I may as well look at an auto conversion with something like a glide and just stay off the the street. For now I like the street and the track.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:26 PM
steven350

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Just installed Exedy carbon twin... Should be picking my car up tomorrow
Old 05-05-2014, 07:22 PM
padilla03z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know much about clutches so when dynosty built my engine for 500whp I asked for a daily drivable clutch and they gave me the rps twin disk. Apart from it taking a sec for me to get used to it, its actually quite nice.i daily drive this car and get on it quite often from rolls. Idk if it can handle ur power goals but I have yet to slip at around 500-550whp. My dyno said 460 but I'm keeping up wit a vette that's at 550 and passing other 450 hp cars.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:37 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My os giken twin was horrible to drive. Hal even killed the engine 3 times trying to get it on his dyno. Worst thing on this earth. Mine failed at 607hp. Put a carbonetics triple in and have loved it ever since. With the rjm pedal it drives better than stock. Very smooth. I would never go back to another os giken clutch.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:33 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

rps twin carbon is nice to drive (billet steel flywheel version). Rated to hold 750 wtq. They have a triple for more power but not sure how that drives.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Same sentiment on the OS, great for abusive driving but not fun as a daily clutch, far too harsh on the engagement. Pedal effort is fine and with the wilwood master from Z1 it isn't stiff or crazy, but I feel like i've never gotten used to the harsh engagement. It's awesome in all other respects though.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:18 AM
Dajersyrat

Originally Posted by psychoballistic
So the time has come when I have to look into a new clutch. Currently I have the carbonetics triple carbon docs setup, which I have been very happy with the past four years.

Recently, we were slipping above 760whp on the dyno, and upon pulling it out, it's burnt up in some spots. Regardless to say I have to get a new flywheel as well as I have a tooth broken on mine.

I have been considering going with another ATS series triple, since carbonetics is no more, but some have mentioned the OS Giken series clutches, primarily the triple and the quad setups.

I cannot seem top fin anything solid with guys that have had a comparison. My big reason for the carbonetics, is that the engagement has been the closest thing to stock I could find. In addition to holding the power and driving well, i do plan on turning it up a bit more as I am no where near the max on the turbos.

My questions comes down to this, for those with OS Giken setups or any other multi disc clutch setup, what are you running in terms of power and how is your engagement?

I'd like to consolidate the information here for future reference for others that may run into a similar situation. On/off setups are not something I want to look at as this is still a street car, even though the car still sees track time.

Thanks in advance everyone!
I had an OS Giken rear diff in my Z back in the days..Burnt it up in 3 weeks at only 550hp at the time, would never ever use their junk. Stick with what you have tested to work. Some of the carbon clutches need to be slipped to heat up first..The hotter they get the better they grip.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:20 AM
Dajersyrat

Originally Posted by steven350
Just installed Exedy carbon twin... Should be picking my car up tomorrow
Loved that clutch..
Old 05-18-2014, 08:53 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by psychoballistic
The triple from carbonetics is now ATS... Used to be a cross between ATS and across, but Yasu in California still has access to the production models... Sound like I'm going to just go with another ATS triple carbon.

The tilton setup is super nice and rebuild able, but it is another on off with no engagement. Unfortunately not for me at this point in time. If I was to go to a tilton, I may as well look at an auto conversion with something like a glide and just stay off the the street. For now I like the street and the track.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Or you could go with a 4L80e auto swap and you won't have to compromise either. They've been swapping the 4L80e into big power street & strip Supras for a while and it has a narrower trans tunnel than the Z.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 05-18-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:52 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a big power 4l80e is $$$$. still waiting to see one installed behind a VQ. would get way to costly if i had to refab my turbo manifolds.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:19 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by str8dum1
a big power 4l80e is $$$$. still waiting to see one installed behind a VQ. would get way to costly if i had to refab my turbo manifolds.
Trust me, I know that!
Old 03-19-2015, 04:47 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

THREAD BUMP.. BUT HEY, IVE GOT ALL THE PROS IN HERE.

SO WERE SAYING THAT THE SEEMINGLY VENERATED CARBONETICS CLUTCH IS NOW THE

" ATS triple carbon"..

IS THIS CORRECT?

Last edited by bmccann101; 03-19-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:48 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, I have always heard them used interchangeably. 2 different companies but with licensing agreements or something like that... Dynosty urged me to go with the RPS twin carbon and I don't regret it. After Tx2k15 u might want to give them a call.

Last edited by rcdash; 03-19-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:52 PM
psychoballistic

I would run a OS straight for abuse or the RPS as recommended. For me the ATS was great, but sourcing parts was absolutely horrendous.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Multi-disc clutch feedback: owners only please