Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy 18g Hardware Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 11:38 PM
louisville13

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yosip1115
I dunno what they're smokin, but you definitely want those gaskets installed. Vibrant are great

Also that downpipe is totally upside down and or on the wrong side. Up pipe anyone?

Damn guess ill order some then haha and the only way i could get it to stand was if it was upside down

Edit* whoops nevermind, guess thats what i get for trying to put everything together upside down and at 3 am. Good catch!

Wait no i think its right the way it is atleast according to some pics i found on here idk its too late for this

Last edited by louisville13; 12-08-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:39 AM
louisville13

Yall were right about filing taking forever. Its about 6am but im not stopping til i finish filing atleast one hole. Heres what its gonna look like on the engine i think

It's not perfect but I've been filing for 2 hours and its 7 in the morning and I think that'll do

Last edited by louisville13; 12-09-2017 at 03:02 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:23 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

You filed those down?!?!?! oh man ... doing work! dude, it takes maybe 3 to 5 seconds of hitting it with a grinder wheel to accomplish the same task.

Not that it's a bad thing, but my passenger side manifold looks different.

I love vibrants stuff but I just ebay'd a 10 pack of those gaskets Yosip linked ... if you want me to put a few in the mail let me know ...

(Something not often discussed) You gotta give the header/down pipe/connecting pipes room to expand and contract due to heat ... putting these gaskets in allow (some) room to expand & contract as necessary.

I also liberally coated all my hardware with copper antiseize - something to consider as you install on the engine.

good work - looks good
Old 12-09-2017, 11:37 AM
louisville13

Originally Posted by bealljk
You filed those down?!?!?! oh man ... doing work! dude, it takes maybe 3 to 5 seconds of hitting it with a grinder wheel to accomplish the same task.

Not that it's a bad thing, but my passenger side manifold looks different.

I love vibrants stuff but I just ebay'd a 10 pack of those gaskets Yosip linked ... if you want me to put a few in the mail let me know ...

(Something not often discussed) You gotta give the header/down pipe/connecting pipes room to expand and contract due to heat ... putting these gaskets in allow (some) room to expand & contract as necessary.

I also liberally coated all my hardware with copper antiseize - something to consider as you install on the engine.

good work - looks good
I dont think yall realize how tight my money is i didnt have any choice hut to file haha. Want to pm me about those gaskets? And ive got a new enemy today...snap rings. Ive been at it for 40 mins and my hands are torn up. It came off easy but now its opened too big and i cant get it back on. Wjat a day
Old 12-09-2017, 12:43 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by louisville13
I dont think yall realize how tight my money is i didnt have any choice hut to file haha. Want to pm me about those gaskets? And ive got a new enemy today...snap rings. Ive been at it for 40 mins and my hands are torn up. It came off easy but now its opened too big and i cant get it back on. Wjat a day
yeah ... I hear ya! go slow and budget for it ... if money is tight slow your progress ... things get expensive quick. Take your time and dont take shortcuts.

Snap rings be a beeotch
Old 12-09-2017, 12:54 PM
louisville13

yeah ... I hear ya! go slow and budget for it ... if money is tight slow your progress ... things get expensive quick. Take your time and dont take shortcuts.

Snap rings be a beeotch
No shortcuts, just no unecessary spending and lots of skipping out on meals haha. Got the last bolt filed down. Did i show yall my grinder? Didnt work too well haha. Now time to go hacksaw some manifold studs

Old 12-09-2017, 01:54 PM
louisville13

Alright question time. I cut down the two studs that hit the greddy manifold but there is no way to fit a nut on there. Any suggestions? I pulled the manifold off just about all the way to see if that cleared up enough room but no luck

I cut the longer of the two down a bit more but still no luck. Theres no way they can go any shorter?

Last edited by louisville13; 12-09-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:18 PM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't understand how you're doing this if money is so tight, is it your parents place?

I have more than $100 worth of oil in my car... Gotta pay to play. That being said, you have some guts. Make sure you do it right the first time or it will turn into a 3000lb paperweight

You're insane, just sayin'

Anyway get as many of the nuts on there as you can, I *ground* some relief into my manifold on a few of them that were close. Some of them are not even close, thanks greddy, leave those ones off just make sure you have somewhat of a balance to compress the gasket evenly

*another reason to invest lol*
Old 12-09-2017, 03:42 PM
louisville13

I don't understand how you're doing this if money is so tight, is it your parents place?

I have more than $100 worth of oil in my car... Gotta pay to play. That being said, you have some guts. Make sure you do it right the first time or it will turn into a 3000lb paperweight

You're insane, just sayin'

Anyway get as many of the nuts on there as you can, I *ground* some relief into my manifold on a few of them that were close. Some of them are not even close, thanks greddy, leave those ones off just make sure you have somewhat of a balance to compress the gasket evenly

*another reason to invest lol*
Well when i started accumulating parts for the build i had a really good job. Then i started on the build and right when i started i decided it was time to go back to school so now my money goes to school. I thought i had all the parts i needed already and it wouldnt be a big deal buttttt thats apparently not the case ha. And yes i leave the car at my parents place and have a 95 f150 that i daily. So yea dont really have the money for all these tools and what not so im really hating greddy for making me spend thousands of dollars on a "bolt on" kit that requires this much customization. I thought the install would be easy otherwise i would have measured everything out and built my own kit when i had my job at the fab shop.

But basically i cant let this engine sit cuz itll drive me insane. So whatever extra money i have goes to car parts. Hell i even sacrifice most my meals tryin to make this happen haha. Ive been collecting parts for 2-3 years im not waiting any lomger to finish

And just want to be clear, i dont skimp on anything on this car, theres no way id risk blowing up ~40k and i dont want to have to do it twice

Last edited by louisville13; 12-09-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:09 PM
yosip1115

Oh boy I forgot the engine was built, what are you doing for fuel? (never mind, re-read your previous post) Do you have a tuner lined up who has dealt with a build turbo vq before? (also nvm)

What kind of fab work did you do? That must stink to not have tools you're used to using..... Would drive me nuts

What are you studying? What did you study?

Sounds like you're getting pretty close parts wise, definitely still recommend amazon for a "used" mishi radiator

Last edited by yosip1115; 12-09-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:31 PM
louisville13

Oh boy I forgot the engine was built, what are you doing for fuel? (never mind, re-read your previous post) Do you have a tuner lined up who has dealt with a build turbo vq before? (also nvm)

What kind of fab work did you do? That must stink to not have tools you're used to using..... Would drive me nuts

What are you studying? What did you study?

Sounds like you're getting pretty close parts wise, definitely still recommend amazon for a "used" mishi radiator
Ill pick up a radiator when i get closer to the end, i need engine mounts first. And yea it sucks, my dad never was into any diy stuff so anytime i need tools i have to go buy them and i was so used to having every tool imaginable at my disposal and used to take them home to borrow all the time. I used to work at a steel erection company. Built a lot of hand rails and structural steel. Now im in school for biology/premed which is why im having trouble finding work now. Im so used to getting paid 20+ an hour and working a ton of overtime and getting big checks, now i dont have the time and none of the jobs im able to work pay very well. I have an interview for fedex which pays pretty decent and walgreens which doesnt. But walgreens would be a job in the pharmacy and help me with med school soo it comes down to car or my future. Its a pain in the *** tbh. But hey if all goes well ill have a monster in my (parents) garage before 23

I now understand why dynosty wanted so much money to do a turbo install. Now i just have to save up for a tune, although i kind of want to learn how to tune myself and save 2k buttt kinda scary considering the amount of time and money i have invested

Ps that shop i worked at was huge and had everything i needed to fab my own kit + plenty of guys with knowledge of stuff like that. I burned a few flanges out on the plasma table for free when i needed them. It was pretty nice

Anddd unfortunately im taking a break from the car tonight. My whole body is sore and exhausted from working on it til 8am this morning and then all day today

Last edited by louisville13; 12-09-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:42 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

I have more than $100 worth of oil in my car...
You running Joe Gibbs?

Gotta pay to play.
very few places to economize, especially if you're looking to get the numbers you want.

i had a really good job.
Go get another job...budget your time like you'd budget your money.

and have a 95 f150 that i daily.
atta boy ... I have an 04 Screw w/192k on it!!

definitely still recommend amazon for a "used" mishi radiator
personally not a fan of mishi ... I'd ensure you bleed your block 10,000% first and rely on the OEM until it's determined that you need an aftermarket. Add an oil cooler already!

Last edited by bealljk; 12-09-2017 at 04:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
yosip1115 (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 04:51 PM
louisville13

Im working on the job and budgeting it takes time though ha. And good i was planning on running the oem radiator for now and i do have a 19 row mishimoto oil cooler sitting in a box. And i love that truck but damn i get 7ish mpg and its killing my wallet. I have a gsxr project going on at the moment too so thats not helping either
Old 12-09-2017, 05:11 PM
yosip1115

Ill pick up a radiator when i get closer to the end, i need engine mounts first. And yea it sucks, my dad never was into any diy stuff so anytime i need tools i have to go buy them and i was so used to having every tool imaginable at my disposal and used to take them home to borrow all the time. I used to work at a steel erection company. Built a lot of hand rails and structural steel. Now im in school for biology/premed which is why im having trouble finding work now. Im so used to getting paid 20+ an hour and working a ton of overtime and getting big checks, now i dont have the time and none of the jobs im able to work pay very well. I have an interview for fedex which pays pretty decent and walgreens which doesnt. But walgreens would be a job in the pharmacy and help me with med school soo it comes down to car or my future. Its a pain in the *** tbh. But hey if all goes well ill have a monster in my (parents) garage before 23

I now understand why dynosty wanted so much money to do a turbo install. Now i just have to save up for a tune, although i kind of want to learn how to tune myself and save 2k buttt kinda scary considering the amount of time and money i have invested

Ps that shop i worked at was huge and had everything i needed to fab my own kit + plenty of guys with knowledge of stuff like that. I burned a few flanges out on the plasma table for free when i needed them. It was pretty nice

Anddd unfortunately im taking a break from the car tonight. My whole body is sore and exhausted from working on it til 8am this morning and then all day today

Ah I see. My first build was at my parents place too, but no way would my dad let me use the garage. Just on weekends then had to push it back outside when I went back to my apartment for work/school.

You changed gears so it's going to be a while before you see the same cashflow, but in the end it will pay off if you are truly into the bio/med. My ex was going for pharmacy, she is lined up for 100k starting when she's 24 though I won't be far off without the added schooling/debt/gray hair which has begun to show on me from working full time and going to school!!

Just turned 23 myself. Young guns

The fedex thing sounds awful, stay relevant to your field and it will pay off as you move every year or so... At your/our age it is acceptable to make a move in shorter periods of time, as I did. Now I need to cool my jets. I did ~6 mos, 1 year, 2 years, now looking to find one for 4 years. My pay almost doubled with each move and sometimes actually did double

Last edited by yosip1115; 12-09-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:16 PM
yosip1115

You running Joe Gibbs?

very few places to economize, especially if you're looking to get the numbers you want.

Go get another job...budget your time like you'd budget your money.

atta boy ... I have an 04 Screw w/192k on it!!

personally not a fan of mishi ... I'd ensure you bleed your block 10,000% first and rely on the OEM until it's determined that you need an aftermarket. Add an oil cooler already!

Nahhh, amsoil 0w-30 with amsoil filter. Been treating me really well but I change it very frequently.

I'm skeptical about not running a larger radiator with the turbos because my fans don't kick off as it is even with the mishi one once they kick on, not sure if that's normal... I suppose it could be, they kick on at 170 I believe per the temp sensor as the thermostat does its own thing. My temps are at 190 when cruising in cool weather. Not sure how they will do in the summer, the thermostat is hopefully staying closed most of the time right now. Lot of $ into the motor to risk running it hot, god knows he's not buying an uprev cable to log lol, but a bluetooth scanner will do

Last edited by yosip1115; 12-09-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:21 PM
louisville13

Ive brought home countless bikes and projects that they hate and usually make me get rid of but i pushed my engine all the way in the corner so it wouldnt bug them. They still hate it though. And yea i just couldnt work first semester back of school cuz i wanted to get back into the swing of things. We will see what happens, im used to blue collar jobs and hate standing around looking at computer screens but if i get the chance ill probably be at walgreens. Ill be 22 next week ha we will see if i can get it done by then and its weird doing all this so young. All mysfriends are out spending all their cash on alcohol and girls and they dont understand why id rather stay home and spend it on a car. To each their own i guess. Theyll sure be jealous when i take em for a ride though.

I keep forgetting to ask, how longs your engine been holding up? Thats a lotttt of power for stock internals thatd give me crazy anxiety hah
Old 12-09-2017, 05:31 PM
yosip1115

Ive brought home countless bikes and projects that they hate and usually make me get rid of but i pushed my engine all the way in the corner so it wouldnt bug them. They still hate it though. And yea i just couldnt work first semester back of school cuz i wanted to get back into the swing of things. We will see what happens, im used to blue collar jobs and hate standing around looking at computer screens but if i get the chance ill probably be at walgreens. Ill be 22 next week ha we will see if i can get it done by then and its weird doing all this so young. All mysfriends are out spending all their cash on alcohol and girls and they dont understand why id rather stay home and spend it on a car. To each their own i guess. Theyll sure be jealous when i take em for a ride though.

I keep forgetting to ask, how longs your engine been holding up? Thats a lotttt of power for stock internals thatd give me crazy anxiety hah

I'm basically the same way, had a few girls here and there but not much of an outer. I think Bealljk isn't either lol. I've seen quite a few Friday night posts from the both of you.

Waiting on that mature girl who is done with school, I hate college parties now...

My tuner doesn't seem too worried, timing and fuel ratios are conservative. So far I've put about 15,000 on it since the turbos which brings it up to 45-50k total... I warm it up real easy and do everything I can to ensure it's running right. Frequent smoke checks, monitoring temps and AFR's, etc.

I don't take it out if I don't have the $ for a tow though. (That's a bit of a lie)

I would have more anxiety with a built block. I can easily procure a new low mileage block and go for another tune if it lets go... But may end up doing a mild build. I really don't need any more power. It's downright dangerous as it is, nobody will get in it anymore... Don't know if they are wimps or if I'm nuts.

If I had a built block I would have 10k hanging over my head every time I got on it. Now I can sort of laugh about it... Sort of. Oh and definitely don't try to tune it yourself, baaaaaaaaaaad idea

Last edited by yosip1115; 12-09-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:47 PM
louisville13

Eh i have a girlfriend that ive been with for like 3 years so no need for parties and why go spend money at the bar when i can go buy car parts instead? I know what you mean about it being worse having an expensive build. My z isnt going to see the road until i can find some good collector car insurance or something. Read too many stories of $50k+ builds getting rear ended or tboned and totaled and not getting any money back from insurance.

Hell youre not crazy, id do the same thing if i wasnt so lazy and didnt mind doing all.that work twice. Its a lot of work. But when the time comes for an upgrade im sticking one of these turbos on my bike and one on my truck

Is that the most power anyones put on a stock vq? I thought everyone was keeping it around 400whp with stock internals.

Yea i dont want to tune myself haha but its good to dream about all the money i could save (and then lose when my engine blows)
Old 12-09-2017, 05:57 PM
yosip1115

Eh i have a girlfriend that ive been with for like 3 years so no need for parties and why go spend money at the bar when i can go buy car parts instead? I know what you mean about it being worse having an expensive build. My z isnt going to see the road until i can find some good collector car insurance or something. Read too many stories of $50k+ builds getting rear ended or tboned and totaled and not getting any money back from insurance.

Hell youre not crazy, id do the same thing if i wasnt so lazy and didnt mind doing all.that work twice. Its a lot of work. But when the time comes for an upgrade im sticking one of these turbos on my bike and one on my truck

Is that the most power anyones put on a stock vq? I thought everyone was keeping it around 400whp with stock internals.

Yea i dont want to tune myself haha but its good to dream about all the money i could save (and then lose when my engine blows)

Accidents are a whole other story... SOL if that happens. Recover what you can and hope you didn't involve anyone else.

I don't think it's the most anyone has put down, a lot of guys have pushed them to their breaking point above 500, and oldmanz is at 575 I believe, with a supercharger though. He pops wheelies...
Old 12-09-2017, 06:09 PM
louisville13

Thats why im looking at hagertys insurance. Its based off of agreed upon value.

Damn i havent been reading around much then. I knew a few people were pushing for ~500whp but i didnt think any of their engines lasted very long