Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy 18g Hardware Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 06:12 PM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by louisville13
Thats why im looking at hagertys insurance. Its based off of agreed upon value.

Damn i havent been reading around much then. I knew a few people were pushing for ~500whp but i didnt think any of their engines lasted very long
Let me know what the premium turns out to be... Curious.

We'll see if meticulous maintenance can make it last, if not I will learn where the weak point is... Crank bearings failing, rod snapping from long term fatigue... I'm doing everything I can to avoid a predetonation and to make those bearings last
Old 12-09-2017, 07:17 PM
louisville13

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's probably going to be a lot haha but worth it must likely. When this motor goes, are you going to start building it?
Old 12-09-2017, 07:18 PM
louisville13

I know i said i was sore and all and not working on the car, so im working on this haha
Old 12-09-2017, 08:07 PM
louisville13

I figured out my exhaust stud problem! Either the shop put them in the wrong place, or greddy requires them in a different place than oem. Cant wait to get back at it tomorrow

Last edited by louisville13; 12-12-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:29 PM
yosip1115

It's probably going to be a lot haha but worth it must likely. When this motor goes, are you going to start building it?
I have a second motor/tranny, I was planning to tear it down this winter but decided to relocate so I'm going to have to hold off until I can find another garage to rent near my new job in CT. Money isn't exactly in excess right now so no plans to make a big investment like that... I'd need to up my fuel system and tires at the minimum too

It'll be a few months, in the meantime I'm just going to work on little things and drive sparingly
Old 12-09-2017, 09:48 PM
louisville13

The spare engines the way to go. I started building and was still able to dailey my car for those 3 years i built my engine. Only down side is my parents arent going to have an engine free garage after im down like they think ha. That sucks though i know how it feels having to wait for your car to be finished.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:24 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by yosip1115
I think Bealljk isn't either lol
I'm James btw...

I dont know how to explain my late night post ... usually cause I'm sh!tfaced and I have nothing better to do, I'm smart enough to not fire up the welder or toy on the car. Or, I play mens-rec league (beer league) hockey, and we have 10:30pm skates and I get hopped up on adrenaline and I cant sleep w/o meds ... so if I dont take sleeping pills than I'm up until 2am or 3am.

I have a pretty relaxed job so I can breakaway to the pickup for a siesta...

Id also highly recommend everyone here create a online blog and share it with no one ... get hopped up on something (legal or illegal) and blog your face off. call people, tell people theyre full of shizz, do play by play of good dates/bad dates, give yourself small business ideas, hypothesize about sht you'd only joke about with close friends, etc ... does quite a bit for your psyche...

Last edited by bealljk; 12-09-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:42 PM
louisville13

Originally Posted by bealljk
I'm James btw...

I dont know how to explain my late night post ... usually cause I'm sh!tfaced and I have nothing better to do, I'm smart enough to not fire up the welder or toy on the car. Or, I play mens-rec league (beer league) hockey, and we have 10:30pm skates and I get hopped up on adrenaline and I cant sleep w/o meds ... so if I dont take sleeping pills than I'm up until 2am or 3am.

I have a pretty relaxed job so I can breakaway to the pickup for a siesta...

Id also highly recommend everyone here create a online blog and share it with no one ... get hopped up on something (legal or illegal) and blog your face off. call people, tell people theyre full of shizz, do play by play of good dates/bad dates, give yourself small business ideas, hypothesize about sht you'd only joke about with close friends, etc ... does quite a bit for your psyche...
Its all good man, I don't really ever sleep either (as I am sure you've noticed), just don't really care for it I guess. I love hockey but not too many guys around here play. I can usually get a couple guys to go out and mess around on the ice if it gets cold enough here, but I haven't gotten to play an actual game since high school. The blog things a good idea, would help me keep my mind focused when I am up all hours of the night with nothing to do and no one to talk to. It would be a sure of a hell lot more productive then binging Netflix thats for sure. And nice to meet ya, Im Mark. Figured for all the help, I owe y'all a beer or two so if you're ever in Louisville; first rounds on me

Ps - it is taking every bit of will power I have right now to not head to the garage and start working on my car

Last edited by louisville13; 12-09-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:29 PM
louisville13

Ok so spent a few hours getting the driver side manifold on. There was one bolt that wouldn't clear the manifold tube, but I cranked on it and got it as tight as I could. I figured as long as the lock nut was flat it would be ok? Im working on the passenger manifold now. There is one bolt that a nut will not clear the tube no matter if I cut it down or not (last 2 pics). Any advice? Seeing both turbos mounted on my engine is making me real excited to get this thing swapped into the z!

This is the one I tightened as much as I could. I wish there were nuts that would thread onto these studs with a smaller diameter?

Old 12-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 957 Likes on 722 Posts

The greddy kit install manual will tell you to reconfigure the studs. As long as you have two per exhaust outlet you should be good

I believe we only had to grind 1 down for clearance on the pass side turbo
Old 12-10-2017, 05:35 PM
yosip1115

Lemme see that blog James lol jk probably some freaky **** on there. Do other people you don't know see it or is it literally private just to get stuff down in one place?

Exactly what cux said, make sure they cross over and all will be alright. I really don't regret going to bolts since you are having so much trouble, I got more than enough on there no problem and ground the manifolds where it was reasonable to do so without removing too much material (like that second to last photo with the nut that gets jammed).

So I looked up harbor freight in ky, and there are three of them in Louisville! Here's a trick... Use a credit card, buy the tool you need... Use it, drive to the other harbor freight... Then return it! You have 90 days, just keep the receipt.

It's like going to the ATM when you return it... They give you cash for tax and everything. Just say it wasn't strong enough (because none of their tools are!)

I may or may not do this all of the time...

-Mike

Last edited by yosip1115; 12-10-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:51 PM
louisville13

Well i put the bolts how the greddy instructions said and still end up with that one in the last pic that wont fit. Are you saying it wouldnt be a big deal to reconfigure the bolt pattern?
Old 12-10-2017, 05:56 PM
yosip1115

Well i put the bolts how the greddy instructions said and still end up with that one in the last pic that wont fit. Are you saying it wouldnt be a big deal to reconfigure the bolt pattern?
Mark, mark up that template you posted earlier with the ones you have on there that are tight, show us what you've got on both sides. We'll see if you're on the marker or not.

Also, just ran into a post from a while ago, was dynosty pissed that you took the block before they finished? How did that go down? Did you screw yourself there? Just curious

Last edited by yosip1115; 12-10-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:12 PM
louisville13

No they didnt mind. They had it for like 4 months and we were just waiting on fuel rails so they said i could come get the engine or wait another month or so for fuel rails to come in so they could install them. Heres the template for the passenger side and what i have. Pretty sure its right but i domt see how nuts are supposed to fit
Old 12-10-2017, 06:14 PM
louisville13

Old 12-10-2017, 06:40 PM
yosip1115

It looks like you're missing at least one on the top and one on the bottom so make sure you have all six per the template at the very least.

Grab a grinder tomorrow and grind clearance into the manifold to allow the nuts to spin without interference. Loosen them all until you get all of the nuts threaded on then start socking them down in a criss cross pattern
Old 12-10-2017, 06:46 PM
louisville13

Theyre all there. Just couldnt see the third one on the bottom until the last pic and one on the top didnt have a nut on it. Yall are killing me with the grinding, all i have is a tiny file. Cant wait to file that...
Old 12-10-2017, 06:52 PM
yosip1115

Theyre all there. Just couldnt see the third one on the bottom until the last pic and one on the top didnt have a nut on it. Yall are killing me with the grinding, all i have is a tiny file. Cant wait to file that...
Now you're just confusing me, that's why I said to mark the template up instead of posting pics.

I just posted a way for you to get a grinder for free ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 12-10-2017, 06:57 PM
louisville13

Oh yea true i forgot about that already! Sorry disyracted by the new season of the grand tour haha. It still makes me nervous grinding the manifolds down but oh well. Did everyone else have to do.this much grinding? So much for a bolt on kit... sorry about the template thing i misunderstood but the bolts are where theyre marked on the template i posted.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:02 PM
yosip1115

Yep it's pretty much standard practice with the greddy kit. Just be weary and take off the minimum amount required