Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Going for broke, Vortech Ti/Nitrous Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 06:50 PM
theronz-

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 0taku
Some sort of update:

We're waiting on shop space next month and parts.

Ordered the ZPE 3.00" Griptec Pulley, I'm really curious about it.
Adding an additional oil cooler + scavenge pump for the blower. (pre-cautionary measure, maybe help it live longer)
HR tensioner. Going to do a little pulley juggling and belt measuring like Tim, just a different route because I don't feel like copying.
Yank the dang 2200cc's again and get them cleaned out. Luckily there's someone local that does it.

As for why it keeps getting postponed lately. I been messing around with carbon fiber the past 2 months and my interior is completely ripped out atm.

I'll be skinning the interior with some chopped fibers aka "forged fiber."

Here's the cubby door I finished recently which was my first project. (I'm also working on several other friend requests on parts)

forged fiber for the win! awesome!
Old 09-26-2020, 06:23 AM
0taku

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

I can finally make some progress posts soon.

Car has been sitting for too long, it'll be trailered back to the house tomorrow so I can try to restore it to look good again.

Agenda today is drain e85 from the lines and tank. Run 93 through and get it running so I can pop it on a trailer.

Interior is a mess, hood needs a huge restoration, weather really did a number on my top. I left it out too long but I have a nice amount of time to get things going again.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:03 AM
0taku

I think I may have found my issue this entire time.

I took another look from different angles to see if there’s anything not lined up. The pulley laser alignment checker showed good all around.

Asked the wife to start the vehicle and then it finally it hit me. When I looked again there was a slight deviance in belt straightness that’s coming from the power steering. Checked the pulley and turned out it had a pretty pronounced wobble. The part of the belt shredding that always confused me was the damage was never on a particular side. My theory is the wobble is running the belt off the pulley (both inside and outside) at higher rpms based on the belt stress.

Just to be on the safe side, I might end up just replacing the alternator as well and oem idlers.

Postponed trailer pickup for another day.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:19 PM
0taku

Only got little done, spent most of the time lately getting this portable garage up so I have no excuse to work on the car.

Tore apart a bit, getting hot in the mid 90s so I’m going to wait for this Texas heat to go away.

Power steering pump is out, waiting on rebuild parts. Took off other random accessories to paint. (Keeping things flat black, just getting rid of chips and rust spots.)

The rest of the intake system will get removed and cleaned throughout the week. All the piping, intercooler, and manifold.

Week after will be cleaning out the fuel system. Still in the air about switching to the DW440 brushless pump. These big boy injectors will definitely get a thorough cleaning.

Then I can start focusing on getting the car back on the dyno again with great clean health.
The following 2 users liked this post by 0taku:
bealljk (10-11-2020), OldManZ350 (10-13-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 04:22 AM
0taku

10-19-20:

Replaced the passenger window motor that decided to fail. Cleaned everything up and relocated the gauge wiring.

Finally got rid of the ricer wheel and replaced with a Momo Evolution steering wheel. This thing feels so much more sturdy and nice.

10-20-20:

Did more cleaning to the engine bay, removed the entire intake piping and intercooler to do some much needed cleaning.

Planned steps:

Clean out intake and restore piping finish.
Remove and clean out injectors.
Organize engine wiring.
Check plugs and clean off ground points
And more..

Ill upload some more pictures later today.

Here’s a picture with my GSD “Nismo”

The following users liked this post:
bealljk (10-21-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 03:30 AM
0taku

Slowly and painfully going through the little things.

Went to pull out the power steering pump only to find out I don't have the right socket for the banjo bolt. Just going to go pick up more tools tomorrow.(I live 20 minutes away from everything, but 1 minute away from E85 (hasn't dipped below 81% yet, but winters coming....) The car is perfectly tuned up to 4k rpm (until we had belts break or slip real bad) so I'll probably just take small cruises to keep the system clean. Taking every precaution because damn these VQs are sensitive.

I'll have the power steering out and rebuilt today, waiting to get the DEI gold tape before I throw the intake back together. There's a small machine shop near here so I might see about getting the giant dummy idler machined smooth and get far better belt wrap on the crank. (Thanks for the tip Tim) Measuring the new belt size will be fun though, glad I got a lot of bright colored string for some reason.
OldManZ350 (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 04:13 AM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

1. Make sure they just take out as little as possible material on the pulley just to get the ribs out. And also no machining on the sides ( just so the belt lays flat at the bottom of the pulley) as the the metal is thin at the top of the shoulder where it's rolled.

2. An easy way to get a basic belt measurement is to cut a long belt, rap it around the pulleys & pull it tight. Make sure your Adjustment Pulley is all the way out. And make a Mark on the Belt. After that, Stick 1 end in a Vice, pull as tight as you can and measure.
But, because you can't really pull it very tight, tighter when you marked it, or measured it, I'd subtract about 1'2 inch. You want the Belt to just bearly be able to fit over the pulleys with the adjuster all the way out (loose) so you have max adjustment.

Hope this helps..
TimRod
The following 2 users liked this post by OldManZ350:
0taku (10-31-2020), bealljk (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 12:37 PM
0taku

For just $14 and two hours of frustration later, my power steering pump issue is fixed. Solid and no play whatsoever. Maybe the belts won’t wander off and commit seppuku anymore.

Old 12-30-2020, 05:08 AM
0taku

Still waiting on the pipes to come in.

In the meantime, I got tired of driving my old Prius for so long. I decided to treat myself for Christmas and got another toy.

Promised the wife I wouldn’t mod it until the Z is finished.

bealljk (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 09:26 AM
0taku

Got word back from the fabricator and the cost just didn't seem to justify itself.

Ended up using that money to buy a 3D printer instead. (Ender 3 V2)

Currently dabbling around with Fusion 360 and I'm going to try making my own intake.

This was just a general test to see how the software works, I think I have a good idea when I start taking measurements when I get my original piping back. This pipe goes from the blower (clocked directly downwards) towards the intercooler. Unfortunately, it's reversed, but I have to remake the whole thing again anyways.

bealljk (01-23-2021), OldManZ350 (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 12:24 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

If you are going to do this from scratch, make much larger Radius.

Originally Posted by 0taku
Got word back from the fabricator and the cost just didn't seem to justify itself.

Ended up using that money to buy a 3D printer instead. (Ender 3 V2)

Currently dabbling around with Fusion 360 and I'm going to try making my own intake.

This was just a general test to see how the software works, I think I have a good idea when I start taking measurements when I get my original piping back. This pipe goes from the blower (clocked directly downwards) towards the intercooler. Unfortunately, it's reversed, but I have to remake the whole thing again anyways.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:15 PM
0taku

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
If you are going to do this from scratch, make much larger Radius.
That’s the plan. I was going to use PLA and slightly enlarge it to compensate the annealing loss.
OldManZ350 (01-23-2021)
Old 09-09-2022, 03:55 AM
0taku

First update in a while. I sold off my Q60 and bought a Datsun 280zx. It's been keeping me occupied for a long time trying to get it going and restored.

Finally got back into the Z. Since it's been sitting for so long, I decided to give it a good once over. I drained all the old fuel and oil. Replaced the fuel pump filter (surprisingly clean) and got the injectors cleaned out (also very clean). The heads are still spotless and threw on some aluminum valve covers while I was at it. Waiting on weather to re-clear the hood (Already sanded and prepped) Spent a massive 9 hours with a heat gun and plastic razor getting all the vinyls off.

Waiting on a new belt tensioner pulley to toss the belt back together. I scrapped the carbon piping idea. Tried making a 3-piece mold from the 3d printer but had a lot of technical issues. The intake manifold got polished and throwing it back on tomorrow. Spent maybe 3 hours cleaning out the engine bay from 2 years of dirt and grime. Actually aiming for the car to get tuned by the end of fall depending on the tuner's schedule.

fullvietFX (09-12-2022), OldManZ350 (09-11-2022)