Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

J&S Safeguard with Greddy TT and eManage

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 10:30 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe others will chime in. There are several folks with G35's and Maximas that have run them. But the guys with the 350Z's are scarce....the only one I know with a 350Z is JessieEnglish.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:02 PM
AmyCroft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Literally - Er no

Originally posted by gq_626
350Now, you cant manually adjust the timing per cylinder. However, in SafeGuard mode, once detonation is detected, it will retard in the individual cylinder that is knocking.
The J&S - If you read their Web Page - Reads to this.

When a knock is detected - on the next revolution of ignition - the plug will not fire.. ! On that cylinder

This is a clever way of defeating "Knock" - Very clever.

Cheers Amy -
Old 06-25-2004, 06:43 AM
Midus
Banned

Hey RAVAZ,

On your J&S how did you set it up to pull timing?How much did you pull and when did you pull it?I figure you and I are both on the east coast with similar conditions so our set up should require a similar amount of retard..

Thanks..
Old 06-25-2004, 06:54 AM
ravaz

Midus, When I used 93 octane I had it pulling boost and rpm based. I did about 10 degrees for 9+psi (daily driving). When I used 114 octane for the track and street racing, I pulled just for RPM, did about 6 and sometimes 4 degrees, depending on what I felt like, the final # pulled was all at redline. The only thing I wish this product had was a way to know for sure how much timing it was pulling, like some LED or something, because using the ***** I might not have been 100% accurate. Maybe John can make something like that
Old 06-25-2004, 07:53 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Ravaz, at 9psi and 114 octane gas, you shouldnt need to retard timing at all! You'll be making some serious power. My stock ECU spits out about 20 degrees of total advance at WOT all the way to readline.

And based on my dyno runs, 10degrees of retard on 93 octane gas at 9psi is too much. I lose power after 5400rpm...even though my AF was stable. Partly could be due to an exhasut leak, but also due to too much timing retard.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:01 AM
Midus
Banned

So what if you tune your timing with the J&S in the following manner..

Set it up to only pull timing based on knock and let it pull its timing accordingly tuning on 94 octane (Sunoco Ultra) and set it to pull only if it detects knock??After all it is a safe guard no??

I am confused now...If I want to tune for 93-94 oct pump gas should I pull timing at 9psi??
I know if I tune on 114 octane I shouldnt have to pull any timing..But I cant run 114 octane all the time..
where should I start??
Old 06-25-2004, 08:05 AM
Midus
Banned

Originally posted by gq_626
Ravaz, at 9psi and 114 octane gas, you shouldnt need to retard timing at all! You'll be making some serious power. My stock ECU spits out about 20 degrees of total advance at WOT all the way to readline.

And based on my dyno runs, 10degrees of retard on 93 octane gas at 9psi is too much. I lose power after 5400rpm...even though my AF was stable. Partly could be due to an exhasut leak, but also due to too much timing retard.
But just because your A/F was stable does not mean you will not experience Pre-ignition, which is the reason you pull timing in the first place...I am really confused cause on my old piggy back I was pulling about 3 degrees total @redline and heard NO knock but really wasnt pulling the Dyno #'s I expected at 9psi...
Old 06-25-2004, 11:48 AM
THX723

Originally posted by ravaz
The only thing I wish this product had was a way to know for sure how much timing it was pulling, like some LED or something, because using the ***** I might not have been 100% accurate. Maybe John can make something like that
They do make such a beast. Check HERE. It'll even show which particular cylinder is being retarded, if you have so configured.

So (Ravaz) you did have the J&S SG hooked up and working 100% with the VQ35DE? Did you have to improvise any of the steps? No fried coils? Details please.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:03 PM
ravaz

That gauge only tells you when it has detected knock and then starts pulling timing on it's own. I just wish there was a way to know for sure what I'm pulling, I'll talk to John to see what he can do for.

Yes, I had this hooked up to my Z for a few months, few thousand miles and no issues at all. Just followed the step by step instructions that John has online and it worked great.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:10 PM
ravaz

Midus. Here is how I tuned my J&S. Using 93 octane, I just threw her on my friends Dyno and started with alot of timing being pulled out, maybe something like 15 degrees at redline or something. With every pull I'd start putting more back in, I'd wait for the unit to flash and tell me it's starting to pull additional timing on it's own (never had it happen to me). We just looked at the dynos, and you can tell where timing needed to be taken out, I had the graph ultra smooth uptop and that's how I knew I pulled out just enough. That's the cool thing about the J&S, if you screw up and not pull enough, it'll pull the rest.

The reason I even pulled any timing out when using 114 is because I don't put all my trust into gasoline. I tuned it and the sheet looked the best with 4 degrees being taken out, it was very smooth.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Ravaz, we;ll have to meet up when I move to Charlotte. Cars are being transported on Monday, and I'll be flying in on July 4th....hopefully I'll see some fireworks on the decent!
Old 06-25-2004, 02:10 PM
ravaz

No doubt we'll meet up. The last 4 or 5 years I been here in Raleigh (I'm from NYC) I have never been to Charlotte. Actually I lived in California for a year, Newport Beach and Woodland Hills. NC is nice, but the women are better in Cali
Old 06-25-2004, 02:28 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Cool! I have been in Pasdena for two years, and yes the chicks are hotter. But when I visited Charlotte, they seemed nicer and cleaner looking...not as "done up" and stuck up. Charlotte actually had some very attractive women...but very few dark or asian people....

Seeya soon!
Old 06-25-2004, 03:32 PM
Midus
Banned

Originally posted by ravaz
Midus. Here is how I tuned my J&S. Using 93 octane, I just threw her on my friends Dyno and started with alot of timing being pulled out, maybe something like 15 degrees at redline or something. With every pull I'd start putting more back in, I'd wait for the unit to flash and tell me it's starting to pull additional timing on it's own (never had it happen to me). We just looked at the dynos, and you can tell where timing needed to be taken out, I had the graph ultra smooth uptop and that's how I knew I pulled out just enough. That's the cool thing about the J&S, if you screw up and not pull enough, it'll pull the rest.

The reason I even pulled any timing out when using 114 is because I don't put all my trust into gasoline. I tuned it and the sheet looked the best with 4 degrees being taken out, it was very smooth.

how can you tell when timing needed to be taken out by the graph??Was it really choppy in the upper RPMS??
Old 06-25-2004, 03:33 PM
Midus
Banned

oh ps...Ravaz,

what kind of HP up top should I be looking for on an ATI with 9psi??
Old 06-25-2004, 03:40 PM
ravaz

Yeah, the graph got real choppy, so I guess you can say that was detonation, so when I made the adjustments it smoothed it out, A/F wasn't a problem that was perfectly fine so it was timing. I'm no professional tuner but when I tune my cars or friends that's what I've learned, but my friend is and I've learned a few things from him.

With 9psi you can probably hit about 415 at the wheels, depending on your setup, octane etc.. I can say I've hit more then that
Old 06-25-2004, 03:47 PM
Midus
Banned

Lets say Borla shorties,Cat pipes,Borla dual,Oil cooler with the J&S and tuning on 114 octane??
Old 06-25-2004, 03:52 PM
ravaz

I'd say something like 415 with a conservative tune.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:59 PM
Midus
Banned

cool..So say I tune on the 114 octane and decide to run 94 on the street, does the J&S have a way of swithcing timing maps for low octane??
Old 06-25-2004, 04:05 PM
ravaz

Not really, just have to turn the ***** and flip the switches when you want to adjust.

Quick Reply: J&S Safeguard with Greddy TT and eManage