Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

No one talks about stillen here are some dyno's

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 08:51 PM
mediq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talked to stillen on friday about my belt problem and explained could it possibly be the tension arm .
Colin stated that it is possible since i have gone through my last belt in less than 300 miles.
Colin stated he would send me a new tension arm with a new belt again it was friday about 4pm so he said he would send it overnite on monday morning, I also stated i wasn't getting 7psi on my stage three we talked about what i was running with the SC Colin told me i could be loosing approx 1/2lb loss with the kinetix cats so he asked if he could get back to me on Monday morning i said sure.
Monday morning about 10am Colin called said he would send me a different pulley to solve my boost problem.
Tuesday afternoon my pkg arrived installed the new tension arm new belt and new pulley the boost is excellent now just have to wait and see on the belt problem..

I got great service from both Adam and Colin at stillen.....
Old 09-14-2004, 10:45 PM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I really don't see how cats sould make a difference on boost pressure. I mean you are generating boost pressure into the plenum and from there into the cylinders. After the combustion stroke you are then exhausting spent gases into headers/manifold, etc... Cats are so far away from how much boost pressure you are running. What kind of guage are using?
Old 09-15-2004, 06:35 AM
2003z

Originally posted by Lightning Guy
I really don't see how cats sould make a difference on boost pressure. I mean you are generating boost pressure into the plenum and from there into the cylinders. After the combustion stroke you are then exhausting spent gases into headers/manifold, etc... Cats are so far away from how much boost pressure you are running. What kind of guage are using?
It has to do with our valve overlap. Too little restriction, and the air just blows through the engine, for lack of a better way to describe it. Then, when that happens, the stillen computer senses less boost, and fuels accordingly. I had the problem with test pipes, and was running lean. Put the stock cats in, and it was stronger and a/f is perfect (dont have a boost gauge, just a wideband O2)
Old 09-15-2004, 08:34 PM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, it makes more sense now. I only have one word though, Damn. That is one loose valve train. I know this thread started out for a 'simple' bolt on, but I think with some head work and a nice valve job, cams, forged guts I think the stillen could be a viable killing machine. One question though, why would someone build a valvetrain that loose?
Old 09-16-2004, 03:22 AM
bascelik

Heck, I'd put a Paxton.... or some other twin screw SC on this thing. Screw roots...
Old 09-16-2004, 10:10 AM
G3po

Default Roots

Originally posted by bascelik
Heck, I'd put a Paxton.... or some other twin screw SC on this thing. Screw roots...
Yep a twinscrew (aka Autorotor) woudl be sweet.
FYI, the only TS manufaturers are Magnussun and Autorotor.
KB integrates Autorotor units.
If every body bugged KenneBell enough they may change their tune. I tried a few times already.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:52 AM
350_Z

Originally posted by mediq
Talked to stillen on friday about my belt problem and explained could it possibly be the tension arm .
Colin stated that it is possible since i have gone through my last belt in less than 300 miles.
Colin stated he would send me a new tension arm with a new belt again it was friday about 4pm so he said he would send it overnite on monday morning, I also stated i wasn't getting 7psi on my stage three we talked about what i was running with the SC Colin told me i could be loosing approx 1/2lb loss with the kinetix cats so he asked if he could get back to me on Monday morning i said sure.
Monday morning about 10am Colin called said he would send me a different pulley to solve my boost problem.
Tuesday afternoon my pkg arrived installed the new tension arm new belt and new pulley the boost is excellent now just have to wait and see on the belt problem..

I got great service from both Adam and Colin at stillen.....
Mediq,

So Stillen sent you a pulley with a little higer boost to compensate for you having cats?
Old 09-16-2004, 11:12 AM
zparts

Originally posted by Lightning Guy
Ok, it makes more sense now. I only have one word though, Damn. That is one loose valve train. I know this thread started out for a 'simple' bolt on, but I think with some head work and a nice valve job, cams, forged guts I think the stillen could be a viable killing machine. One question though, why would someone build a valvetrain that loose?
It's not "loose", large valve overlap is common on NA motors to increase low end torque.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:06 AM
mediq

Originally posted by 350_Z
Mediq,

So Stillen sent you a pulley with a little higer boost to compensate for you having cats?
I don't know if they sent me a compensatory pulley for the hiflow cats or not but I'm now getting 7psi without problem. gonna re dyno soon...

ps.
Still trying to get conformation on what the output of the new pulley is should hear something today....
Old 09-24-2004, 09:43 AM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, so your runnin 308RWHP on a stage 3? Now Stillen "clames" that the stage one, non-aftercooled SC pushes 305RWHP while the stage 3 hits 339RWHP. Why arn't you gettin those results expecally with the ammount of mods you have done?

I was looking into the stage 1 due to the fact that I don't have very much money at the moment and I only want 350RWHP max anyways. Vortec and Procharger seem to produce more power, with a better kit, at the same ammount of money as the Stillen Stage 3. Not to mention your belt problems, i haven't heard of Vortec or Procharger having any problems at all besides the motor not being able to handel the boost.

Now my question here is what are my options for running a 100% safe 350RWHP motor here? SC with the right fuel upgrades and a 13 AF ratio? Keep in mind my money budget is about 5000K for now but i can get parts as I go, once I start working more again. What does everyone suggest?
Old 09-24-2004, 10:43 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Vortech....I had headers , no cats and could only make 7.6psi on a 9lb pulley . I put on crawford cats and now have 9.5psi . Making the same WHP with 7.6psi and 9.5psi . So more flow is alway good......more noise.....but good
Old 09-27-2004, 10:30 AM
jwkirkland

Originally posted by mediq
I don't know if they sent me a compensatory pulley for the hiflow cats or not but I'm now getting 7psi without problem. gonna re dyno soon...

ps.
Still trying to get conformation on what the output of the new pulley is should hear something today....
any update?
Old 09-28-2004, 08:46 PM
axxizzer

lol, I am getting 360whp
with the stillen

I personally blame my headers, exhaust, cats, intake, and cams

dammit