Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Mystery exhaust smoke? Need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 08:24 PM
ramdaspadhye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by slay2k
Okay cool... what has to be done to check the turbo seals ? Does everything have to be taken apart ?

On a side note, maybe you can explain to me exactly what a catch-can does since nobody else has done it so far ;]
Know the hose that goes from your valve cover to your intake manifold? I assume these cars have them. Well, you route the hose frmo your valve covers to the oil catch can. this keeps the blow-by oils out of your intake, keeping the intake itself cleaner with less oil/carbon buildup. That's just about it
Old 10-13-2004, 08:32 PM
ramdaspadhye

Just look at each turbo carefully. You may have blown a seal and may have a really small leak. you may want to take your turbo itself off if possible and check the internals...you have wet or dry internals? If you can't see any oil around your engine itself and no oil in your intake, it's probably in your turbo...with a really small leak. call the ppl where you got it and ask them. They could tell you a lot more...
Old 10-13-2004, 08:44 PM
slay2k

Aight thanks ramda. Imma try that... the internals are dry (not water-cooled). Yeah I'll have my shop check the seals.

So what happens if the seal's at fault ? How expensive is the remedy ? Better yet, WHAT is the remedy ?
Old 10-14-2004, 09:50 AM
g356gear

Possibly could be a problem with the valve stem seals. The h22 prelude engines have a habit of blowing valve stem seals under boost . It was a problem with the US manufacturer for OEM aftermarket seals. The Japanese manufactured ones were fine. Just a thought.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:04 AM
THX723

Originally posted by g356gear
Possibly could be a problem with the valve stem seals. The h22 prelude engines have a habit of blowing valve stem seals under boost . It was a problem with the US manufacturer for OEM aftermarket seals. The Japanese manufactured ones were fine. Just a thought.
Again, if that were the case ... one'd expect to see smoke when the engine's under load. I still think it's either the turbo or PCV.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:54 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aight thanks ramda. Imma try that... the internals are dry (not water-cooled). Yeah I'll have my shop check the seals.

So what happens if the seal's at fault ? How expensive is the remedy ? Better yet, WHAT is the remedy ?
The remedy is to rebuild the turbo, and the cost is $600 (PE sends it back to Japan).

G
Old 10-14-2004, 11:15 AM
JeffesonM

Originally posted by gurgenpb01
The remedy is to rebuild the turbo, and the cost is $600 (PE sends it back to Japan).

G
does PE come with any type of warranty? this hasn't been installed for more than a few months, correct?
Old 10-14-2004, 11:24 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it does... he can get it covered, if it is in fact the turbos
Old 10-14-2004, 12:06 PM
slay2k

I spoke to my shop, I don't think its the turbo seals.

The owner told me that the day I first brought it in, even before the compression test was done, they inspected the turbo seals and everything there looked fine.

Do they have to take things apart to inspect them ? I mean I'm sure they took off a whole buncha things, but I don't know how far they went. I trust my installer though, if he says they checked the seals then they checked the seals.

So there goes that theory...
Old 10-14-2004, 12:18 PM
THX723

I spoke to my shop, I don't think its the turbo seals.

The owner told me that the day I first brought it in, even before the compression test was done, they inspected the turbo seals and everything there looked fine.

Do they have to take things apart to inspect them ? I mean I'm sure they took off a whole buncha things, but I don't know how far they went. I trust my installer though, if he says they checked the seals then they checked the seals.

So there goes that theory...
I have no doubt they inspected it and looked ok. But this could have ocurred after it's been abused a little (not littereally of course ). It's simply too much of a coincidence that this happened to TWO PE owners.

Let's hope it's the PCV instead ... and it still could very well be the case !!!
Old 10-14-2004, 02:01 PM
slay2k

That doesn't make sense though... if they checked it AFTER the smoke started appearing... why wouldn't they see something?
Old 11-14-2004, 07:34 PM
webcarconnection

I have the same problem but not when I rev the car, is after I drive it hard on a full pass when I let go of the gas pedal (4th or 5th) I see white smoke coming out of the mufflers this is on a N/A engine.

I believe is a similar case but not the same... rigth!
Old 11-14-2004, 09:30 PM
Daking350z
Banned

Originally posted by webcarconnection
I have the same problem but not when I rev the car, is after I drive it hard on a full pass when I let go of the gas pedal (4th or 5th) I see white smoke coming out of the mufflers this is on a N/A engine.

I believe is a similar case but not the same... rigth!
This is on the N/A engine on your car?Cause your sig says you have N20..If thats the case I think BOTH of you guys MELTED something internally...