Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Suspension Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 02:43 AM
CHUBBZ510
OG SKYWALKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Suspension Advice

Hey everyone,

haven't been on the forum for a while, but i need some advice asap. I own a 2004 G 2D w/ 78K mi 6 speed, i love my car a lot, but lately its just been a pain in the ***. The car hasn't been handling or riding right for the past 3 to 4K miles, and it bothers me sooo bad that its not even fun to ride sometimes.
When i bought the car with 50k mi, i noticed that the wheel shook a lot when i went past 65mph, I went and got new wheel bearings and it helped out a lot.......till now....the car just feels like its not balanced, it dosent handle bumps very well at aaall, when i take corners it feels like the car is going to slide very easily, and when i try to change lanes on the freeway at high speed when i hit the bumps on the line the back end just swivels left and right.

I have just ordered a set of stillen stabilizer bars so they should help out a bit, but i wanted to go for a suspension kit also...money isnt that tight right now but i wanted to know if there is a kit out there thats cheap and good quality also. I just have spent too much money on the car in the past month, new tires, new brakes + rotors, and exhaust put a good dent in my pocket

If you got any advice...let me know

Old 12-12-2010, 03:05 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

sounds very unsafe bro...

save up and have a 100 point inspection or whatever they call it at a stealership of your choice on your suspension components...

what you explained can have a million causes...
Old 12-12-2010, 03:34 AM
CHUBBZ510
OG SKYWALKER

Originally Posted by KingBaby
sounds very unsafe bro...

save up and have a 100 point inspection or whatever they call it at a stealership of your choice on your suspension components...

what you explained can have a million causes...
well about 5-6 weeks ago, i ran over a rock on I-5 going through oregon, and i took it to the dealership and they told me the tunnel stabilizer bar was bent and the problems really started after that. I mean the car wasn't always smooth on bumps but it did feel way more stable before, a suspension upgrade has always been a thing i wanted to do even to my Z when i had it. i bet i can spend just 3-4k on a suspension upgrade in a sec. but i dont want to do that. i will have that inspection though asap,

one more thing, I noticed my car was leaning different too, i just feel like it leans toward the driver side more

Last edited by CHUBBZ510; 12-13-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:55 AM
drivessidewayz

Originally Posted by CHUBBZ510
and when i try to change lanes on the freeway at high speed when i hit the bumps on the line the back end just swivels left and right.
Bumps on the line? The wake-up strips?
Old 12-12-2010, 06:58 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am not going to suggest suspension componebts until you fix whatever is broken. For example new springs and shocks will do you little good. Doubt if either will fix your car.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sways would have been the last things I ordered to be honest

on a G35, like a Z, there are several front bushings very prone to going bad - they are the inner lower control arm, the compression rod and then the outer lower control arm. Inner lower control is where the arm mounts to the subframe. Outer (not as common, but resides on the same arm and is prone to failure too) connects the shock to the lower control arm. The compression rod is akin to your knee, in that it joins two moving joints.

These bushings, combined with the fact that at 65k miles your stock shocks are probably long since dead, are, IMHO, contributing to the sloppy feeling

As for the wheel shaking, it could be something as simple as a wheel out of balance (easy and cheap to have redone), or even a tire with a snapped belt in it (though that tends be accompanied by some noise, though not always). Since tires are new, we can rule that out.

For the skiddish rear, can be any number of things - first things to check (and this goes for the front too), is an alignment. the and general condition of the tires (though since they are new, they are likely not the issue). From there, things like swaybar endlinks come into play. There are lots of bushings out back of the car as well (far more than the front), though they tend to not go bad prematurely on a typical street car. The fronts are far more problematic and common.

as for it being lower on one side vs another, very common, as the car doesn't weigh the same left to right or front to back. As the components wear, they can sag, exaggerating the issue

new springs, new shocks, new bushings, and then put those sway bars on, and it will feel like a brand new car again I'd bet

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 12-12-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm betting bushing or shocks. You said you just change the tires, what did they look like when they came off? Were they like any of these?

Maybe something like this?

Last edited by Zazz93; 12-12-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Buster-here

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you read Suspension 101 ?

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ion-101-a.html

See what you make of that.

Get the car up and the suspension inspected by someone familiar with our platform. Work out which bits are definately wornout or broken.
Decide on replacement parts - oem/aftermarket (each have their merits).

For leveling the car I would go with coilovers (oem style). Lots of options here depending on your main purpose for the car. Gives you the ability to level and corner balance your car.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:36 PM
CHUBBZ510
OG SKYWALKER

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance

on a G35, like a Z, there are several front bushings very prone to going bad - they are the inner lower control arm, the compression rod and then the outer lower control arm. Inner lower control is where the arm mounts to the subframe. Outer (not as common, but resides on the same arm and is prone to failure too) connects the shock to the lower control arm. The compression rod is akin to your knee, in that it joins two moving joints.

These bushings, combined with the fact that at 65k miles your stock shocks are probably long since dead, are, IMHO, contributing to the sloppy feeling

As for the wheel shaking, it could be something as simple as a wheel out of balance (easy and cheap to have redone), or even a tire with a snapped belt in it (though that tends be accompanied by some noise, though not always). Since tires are new, we can rule that out.

For the skiddish rear, can be any number of things - first things to check (and this goes for the front too), is an alignment. the and general condition of the tires (though since they are new, they are likely not the issue). From there, things like swaybar endlinks come into play. There are lots of bushings out back of the car as well (far more than the front), though they tend to not go bad prematurely on a typical street car. The fronts are far more problematic and common.

as for it being lower on one side vs another, very common, as the car doesn't weigh the same left to right or front to back. As the components wear, they can sag, exaggerating the issue

new springs, new shocks, new bushings, and then put those sway bars on, and it will feel like a brand new car again I'd bet
thanks man ill do my homework on the bushings. ummm another thing sooo at 65K ur stock shocks are usually gone already?? and if you changed the bushings on your car how much did that cost you?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:40 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its not always the case, but yes, shocks become an issue at that much mileage

for the bushings, you can check our thread in the vendor classifieds for the various bushings:

https://my350z.com/forum/suspension/...ml#post7501561

installation of the front control arm bushings requires the use of a press (most any shop can do it for you)

the compression rod bushings you have SPL, or you can replace the stock ones, up to you (SPL are solid metal, stock are rubber)

http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...ng&prodid=4645

Before buying anything def get under the car, or have someone a bit experienced with suspension go over it with you, so you're not replacing things uncessarily. I think what you may find is it could be a combination of things. Thankfully, overall all of it is relatively easy to fix, and doesn't have to cost a fortune.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:56 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

its not always the case, but yes, shocks become an issue at that much mileage

for the bushings, you can check our thread in the vendor classifieds for the various bushings:

https://my350z.com/forum/suspension/...ml#post7501561

installation of the front control arm bushings requires the use of a press (most any shop can do it for you)

the compression rod bushings you have SPL, or you can replace the stock ones, up to you (SPL are solid metal, stock are rubber)

http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...ng&prodid=4645

Before buying anything def get under the car, or have someone a bit experienced with suspension go over it with you, so you're not replacing things uncessarily. I think what you may find is it could be a combination of things. Thankfully, overall all of it is relatively easy to fix, and doesn't have to cost a fortune.

I agree with these two post big time!!!

I wouldn't bother with replacing the compression rod bushing with another stock one........for the effort and time, money, in pressing the bushings out, etc.....just get the spl solid ones and be done...

OP, get an alignement and post up the findings..........get your car in the air, take pics of the front components if you want.....do this after reading the suspension 101 thread and you may be able to see bad bushings....

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 12-13-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:24 PM
CHUBBZ510
OG SKYWALKER

these other threads are really helpful thanks for the links.
Hopefully the car starts riding more solid soon.