Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

InJen CAI vs. Short Ram Intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 03:36 PM
Ricky
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default InJen CAI vs. Short Ram Intake

Whats the difference? (Sound, Power, ect ect). Which is better for the money? Worth the difference? (almost 100bucks). Thanks.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:02 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cold air intake draws from behind the bumper, and as its name implies, it finds cold air there, more dense=more power. drawback is USSUALLY loss of low end power since the tube is longer and has more curves. however the dyno by injen doesnt show this... which is quite odd. another factor is hydrolock, a controversial topic, I have personally never heard of a car actually getting hydrolock. but if you managed to submerge the bumper in water(and the intake filter of course) then you would destroy your engine.

short ram draws from what should be a cooler area of the engine tho not cold, heat sheilds are sometimes used with good benifits. also the tubes are designed for smooth air flow, better designs then the stock is in theory. problem here is nissan employed a great design in its intake, pulling air from a very cool section of the engine bay. so while this is a good idea for most cars, nissan has already given us a pretty good short ram intake, gains on this would be marginal at best IMO.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:51 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i think you have your info backward

longer tubes affect the high end HP.. due to the length the air has to travel and the resonance caused by the air traveling thru a longer bent piping, traditional cold air intakes that suck air from outside the fender suffer from mad hp loss past 5k (esp. on a VQ)
FUll length CAIs are great for low end power/torque and thats about it.

short ram intakes are great for overall gains, but dont loose as much HP on the top end, as compared to traditional CAIs. even though it is sucking from underneath the hood, its drawing air in so fast , its grabbing it from allover, including underneath the car.

what you want to do is just add an intake with a velocity stack at the end of the filter.

there is much discussion about this topic for the maximas, that's where i'm getting my info from. and i'm pretty sure the maxima's VQ30 will perform similar to our Zs.

go with a short ram, its better.

Originally posted by ares
cold air intake draws from behind the bumper, and as its name implies, it finds cold air there, more dense=more power. drawback is USSUALLY loss of low end power since the tube is longer and has more curves. however the dyno by injen doesnt show this... which is quite odd. another factor is hydrolock, a controversial topic, I have personally never heard of a car actually getting hydrolock. but if you managed to submerge the bumper in water(and the intake filter of course) then you would destroy your engine.

short ram draws from what should be a cooler area of the engine tho not cold, heat sheilds are sometimes used with good benifits. also the tubes are designed for smooth air flow, better designs then the stock is in theory. problem here is nissan employed a great design in its intake, pulling air from a very cool section of the engine bay. so while this is a good idea for most cars, nissan has already given us a pretty good short ram intake, gains on this would be marginal at best IMO.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:32 AM
timzerofive

I had both shortram and CAI in my car before. I had the CAI on first, and of course, you can barely tell there are any gain from stock. But again, this is an Eclipse, not 350Z. From what I heard, 300ZX gains huge hp just by switching out the stock instake box, so 350Z might be similar. But I digress. The sound was a lot louder than stock but very deep and smooth.

I switched to short ram later on and immediately I noticed a pretty dramatic difference. Short ram seems to yield a lot less power in higher RPM, almost seems like its suffocating. So I would definitely say CAI is better and worth the extra money. Even now with my turbo setup, I have the intake filter relocate down to next to a vent in front to suck in more cold air.
Old 12-04-2002, 02:30 AM
fluids_gts

Originally posted by Chebosto
i think you have your info backward

longer tubes affect the high end HP.. due to the length the air has to travel and the resonance caused by the air traveling thru a longer bent piping, traditional cold air intakes that suck air from outside the fender suffer from mad hp loss past 5k (esp. on a VQ)
FUll length CAIs are great for low end power/torque and thats about it.
I got to say, I don't agree with your generalization. The benefit or penalty of any intake device in terms of power/torque for a given rpm range is going to depend on the particular vehicle and how well designed the intake is. It does depend strongly on the length of the tube, as you point out, due to the resonance, but most gains are not due to reduced temperatures (unless the stock airbox is really poorly designed). Instead, any benefit at all likely comes from an increased area of the filter element over the stock, proper tuning of the tube resonance, and the removal of sound baffles. As a case in point, for the Toyota Celica GT-S, the CAI's all typically have a greater benefit than the short-ram type, with typical increases occuring above 5000 rpm (peak increase on the order of 5 to 10 hp which is around 3 to 6%).

short ram intakes are great for overall gains, but dont loose as much HP on the top end, as compared to traditional CAIs. even though it is sucking from underneath the hood, its drawing air in so fast , its grabbing it from allover, including underneath the car.

what you want to do is just add an intake with a velocity stack at the end of the filter.

there is much discussion about this topic for the maximas, that's where i'm getting my info from. and i'm pretty sure the maxima's VQ30 will perform similar to our Zs.

go with a short ram, its better.
It may be better for the maxima, I don't dispute that, but it can't be said that this is generally true for all cars. I would say this can only be answered for sure with before and after dyno tests!
Old 12-04-2002, 06:06 AM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately go with a CAI. While the SRI will make power when the engine is cold, once the engine heats up, you can actually lose power. Such has been the case for many RSX-S owners. Many have actually purchased an injen SRI, only to remove it and buy a CAI to replace it (keep in mind this is another $300+ investment).
Old 12-04-2002, 06:20 AM
STLZ
Banned

Seald Hood, Short Ram intake = hot air
CAI = Cold air.

Plus I installed a JWT pop charger which sucks and my tech told me it makes a noise from the fan turning on and the wind flows over the air intake under the hood
Old 12-05-2002, 04:58 PM
Dershum

In the case of my old 2000 eclipse, the Injen CAI that I had gave a definite performance increase. Probably the best way to explain it would be to say that it "smoothed out" the power curve of the car. It revved faster, and had a much more "smooth" power curve. Not a huge power adder, but enough so that you could tell on the butt-dyno.

I'd love to get an AEM cai for my 350z, but I couldn't find a site anywhere that had them for sale. AEM's site lists them, but doesn't list a place to purchase them. If anyone could give me a link I would really appreciate it. I'd much prefer to get their intake instead of the pop-charger.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:57 PM
ares
Veteran

Im not sure, but I know both of the kits were BRAND NEW, not even out when they first were talked about a week or 2 ago. Id try calling AEM or INJEN whichever your interested in, and asking them when and where you can order it. and go from there.

I need to get on the line with Injen to grab myself one. I personally prefer injen, been impressed with other applications of theirs. Im willing to pay the extra for that.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:20 PM
Yuichi

Default We have INJEN Intakes on Order

We will have several of the first INJEN intakes coming out. The intake looks great, and INJEN has done a great job. Not sure when AEM is coming out though.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:45 PM
ares
Veteran

are you selling them? how much? and most importantly, how long? any chance you would have them shipped intime for Zmas I mean Xmas?
Old 12-07-2002, 04:01 PM
brad25

speed concepts in aloah oregon has all their injen stuff 40% off. I just came from there, they are expecting their shipment anytime now. They will honor the price with $20.00 down. I think after the discount it was around $220.00, they might take phone orders if anyone is interested. brad oh by the way, that was the cold air intake NOT the sri. I had the sri on my old acura rsx type s- sounded good but bogged down from the heat even with the heat shield on.

Last edited by brad25; 12-07-2002 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2002, 04:04 PM
brad25

speed concepts in aloah oregon has all their injen stuff 40% off. I just came from there, they are expecting their shipment anytime now. They will honor the price with $20.00 down. I think after the discount it was around $220.00, they might take phone orders if anyone is interested. brad
Old 12-07-2002, 08:57 PM
ares
Veteran

have you got a number on them? Id love to order that like tomarrow for that price.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:47 AM
toothlessracer

EAM has the CAI and they have Dyno results posted on the net. You can see them @ aempower.com. the HP gains are about 5 hp. K&N is working on their FIPK which should give it about 15-20 HP the kit will be about $350-400.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:02 AM
vicmar90

Excuse my ignorance but what is FIPK and considering that most systems we've seen whether exhaust or CAI have only been able to produce between 5-10 HP (except for the Amuse exhaust) what would be the differenece with this K&N system?

I want to know because I was planning on getting the Injen CAI but would wait for this K&N if your numbers are true. Keep us posted.
Victor
Old 12-08-2002, 10:29 AM
fdao

Originally posted by toothlessracer
EAM has the CAI and they have Dyno results posted on the net. You can see them @ aempower.com. the HP gains are about 5 hp. K&N is working on their FIPK which should give it about 15-20 HP the kit will be about $350-400.
Heheheh...unless the stock intake is the worst design ever in the industry, I find it very hard to believe the FIPK can produce 15-20HP to the wheel. The AEM and Injen CAI all showed gains between 5-10 HP.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:56 PM
TJZ

Originally posted by fdao
Heheheh...unless the stock intake is the worst design ever in the industry, I find it very hard to believe the FIPK can produce 15-20HP to the wheel. The AEM and Injen CAI all showed gains between 5-10 HP.
true, sure there is room for improvement in our cars but i doubt our intake is THAT bad.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:26 PM
12SecZ

Thumbs up FIPK

Fuel Injection Performance Kit.

Mine dynoed 19RWHP over a lid, in my Z28. FIPK for a Z? That's what I will wait for. Here is a pic of one in my FireHawk.

Much better than a CAI, in my opinion. Carbon fiber, heat shield *and* look at the soft bellow that leads into the MAF! All included!

FIPK

Edit add,

Also for those like me in California FIPK's come with a CARB number (CA, Air Resource Board) so they are smog legal.

Quick Reply: InJen CAI vs. Short Ram Intake