Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Custom Intake Idea,, THoughts????

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 11:37 AM
ChicagoEZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Intake Idea,, THoughts????

Ok ok, instead of laying down 250 for a injen, has anybody thought about just putting in a hoodscoop above the throttle body and custom fabing a tube to connect it all, You would have alomost no distance from fresh cold air to the throttlebody and at higher speeds it would act kinda like ram air.

I dont know much about this sort of stuff like how effectively you could prevent water from hitting a filter, but it just seems like no one in the aftermarket world has thought of this for out Zs. Instead of running like 3 feet of tubing through the whole engine compartment. I lean to think that the less distance the less restriction ....

Comments please?
Old 01-08-2003, 12:40 PM
menehune

It might cost more for such a venture. Theoretically, you'll want to place it so that it looks aesthetically sound, lets say in the middle. But then it looks similiar to a celica. Then will the engine-hood clearance be adequate for the plumbing? Maybe. For catching H2O, we can implement an AEM bypass valve. It could work. Anybody good with fiberglass? Someone should try to create a replica of the hood in fiberglass, create some scoop configurations and see from there. I take what I said about being more costly, it might be econo afterall.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:17 PM
menehune

Another idea would be to tackle the intake manifold. Someone posted that the stock intake runners weren't equal in flow. Too bad someone couldn't create a tuned-port design, much like the chevy's and the first-gen 300zx's, then we might see some higher numbers. By looking at the design of the intake manifold, looks like we could gain a lot of power from there. And since all of us Z owners are gluttons of speed and power, add to the tuned-port intake a throttle body from the V-8 infinity.
Stop me somebody!!!!!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!
I wonder if this is possible?
Old 01-08-2003, 02:44 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Maybe this will help things. We'll see what he comes up with.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:59 PM
dflynno

Default Cold Ram Air on stock air box

You guys have overlooked the quickest, cheapest easiest way to get a cold air ram system on the car. Look at the stock air box. It's a great piece that only needs a K&N air filter and some ram air. It is totally sealed by the hood, it just needs a 3" ram air hose run from the plastic closeout panel that is directly below the air box blocking off part of the radiator and you've got yourself a cold ram air system.

The closeout panel is fastened at the top to the aluminum bumper by three plastic buttons. Pop the buttons, remove the plastic panel, cut a 3" hole in it. Go to Home Depot and pick up a 3" hose flange and some 3" flexible aluminum duct tube and two hose clamps and your in business. Mount the three inch flange on the plastic panel. You'll need to drop the bottom splash panel from the car so you can work from underneath putting the panel with flange back in. Cut about a 2' piece of tubing and run it up so it sits about three inches in front of and directed at the air inlet in the air filter box. Clamp the hose to the flange with one hose clamp and slide the other one up near the top of the air hose. Use a big tie wrap around the heavy plastic structure that the radiator mounts to and capture the hose clamp. Adjust the hose clamp so it retains the top part of the hose in alignment with the air inlet. Slightly snug the hose clamp so everything stays in place and tighten the tie wrap and you're in business.

I painted everything exposed to the outside of the car to match the original color of the closeout panel. You can't see the big opening unless you're looking for it because it sits behind the grill and the color matches the stock closeout piece. I used some 1/4" hardeware cloth over the 3" inlet hole in the closeout panel to keep larger debris out of the air duct.

It's a very neat installation that works very well! If you want to spend the extra bucks, get some 3" aircraft scat hose. It's black in color, made to duct high velocity air and very tough, but not cheap. In the long run it's much better material for the duct tube, but the aluminum stuff is quick, easy and cheap. I did mine in the cheap stuff first, then I'll take the exact measurement and order the scat tubing for the permanent installation. I ran it up to 90 mph the other night and it works very well. Nothing is moving, rattling or chaffing, so I think it's going to be a good long term installation. Total cost was about $8.00.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Canadian350Z

That idea was floating around in my head for a while.... put a scoop on it and you'd have kinda like what Mustangs have as the front end of their CAI...

Photos?
Old 01-09-2003, 06:54 AM
dflynno

If you're going to cut on the hood, do it as a flush NACA scoop. It's fairly easy to do, looks good, is low drag and moves LOTS of air from the boundry layer of air moving over the car. I've used that type hood scoop to feed the turbocharger on my drag car for about 20 years now. It's nothing new and there's nothing better. I preferred not to cut on my car and go the stealth method.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:34 PM
NightRider

I may be able to help out. I used to design custom intake systems for the Maxima crowd not to long ago. The only problem that I have found is that the VQ is very sensitive to intake runner length and diameter. A short ram intake works best with this engine, however, the length of the pipe will determine where you will gain and lose power. Running the shortest intake possible is a bad idea and will result in major low-end power loss. You will gain some power on the high end, but it won't be enough to make the mod feasible. On the other hand, an extremely long intake tube will result in the VQ struggling to breathe up top. The trick is to get enough length on the pipe so that there is no low end power loss, but a large gain up top. I found the perfect combination for the Maxima. When I get my Z in, I may do some research and see what I can come up with.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:10 PM
shortbusrydaz808

Default i made mine

i made my own intake
easy and spent about $75

Aloha