Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Motordyne 5/16" spacer = loss of power??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 11:59 AM
THE TECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motordyne 5/16" spacer = loss of power??

Has anyone who has installed this on their car felt a loss of power?
Old 02-16-2006, 12:26 PM
drifter23

I have installed the 5/16" Motordyne spacer and did not lose any power. I have heard you lose low end torque but gain high end.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:27 PM
THE TECH

Yeah, I feel like the nice low end power I had is gone. Makes me somewhat regret this mod so far.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:57 PM
dream724Z

It is impressive you noticed lowend loss without a dyno! Maybe the spacer isn't sealed well or your ECU is confused? You could tune it for optimal A/F mixture. Or you could save up and leap frog to Stillen's SC. After reading your post I'm leaning towards the latter.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:16 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by dream724Z
It is impressive you noticed lowend loss without a dyno! Maybe the spacer isn't sealed well or your ECU is confused? You could tune it for optimal A/F mixture. Or you could save up and leap frog to Stillen's SC. After reading your post I'm leaning towards the latter.
Well if you drive your car enough, you know how it feels and you can notice when you make changes to it. I don't need a dyno to tell me if I have gained power or loss it. The car feels different at low rpms than it did before.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

For all the dynos I've done or seen, It never loses power anywhere in the RPM band. It only gains in HP and TQ.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:27 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, a human dyno.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:41 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
For all the dynos I've done or seen, It never loses power anywhere in the RPM band. It only gains in HP and TQ.
I don't doubt you, just def feel a difference in the car.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:43 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by showstoppertk
wow, a human dyno.
Not sure what's up with everyone and the sarcasm. I know for a fact everyone doesn't run out and dyno their cars after every mod they put on. You don't always need a dyno to tell you what's going on with your car.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:13 PM
showstoppertk

I don't doubt that you feel a difference, but to claim that you've lost low end power due to installing a part based on a butt dyno is gonna offend some. I know if I was selling/manuf. this product and someone went and said it decreased power I would expect some proof. the fact is many forum members have installed and used this product with success and gotten dyno proven gains in both hp and tq.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:19 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by showstoppertk
I don't doubt that you feel a difference, but to claim that you've lost low end power due to installing a part based on a butt dyno is gonna offend some. I know if I was selling/manuf. this product and someone went and said it decreased power I would expect some proof. the fact is many forum members have installed and used this product with success and gotten dyno proven gains in both hp and tq.
I don't at all dispute that fact that people have made power with this mod. In fact, I was hoping to do the same. But like I have mentioned before, you know how your car responds. To say that I will offend someone by claiming that I believe that I've lost power is absurd. I can understand if I had to know whether I made 6 OR 10hp from it, then I would need to dyno. AND, it may in fact be that I've made power and loss none. But, I have owned several sports cars and when you do a mod, you can generally tell just by driving the car what kind of impact it has made.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:44 PM
350ZTrackspec

I can relate to this; I too felt the exact symptoms as you did. I felt that there was a possibility I lost some torque down low (my a$$ told me so) But i have gain a **** load on top. The car pulls unreal all the way to redline now.

To me even if i did loase so TQ down low it is a good trade off anyway, seeing as though all spirited driving is up top.

If you have just installed it give some time let things adjust.

PS: I agree with the uneccesay sarcasm. He merely voiced his concerns and needed some advice or someone that could of maybe related.
Afterall please don't forget why we are all on this forum.

Last edited by 350ZTrackspec; 02-16-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

The Tech,

Could you be using any type of CAI?... They sometimes cause strange things to happen to the power curve... and even more so when plenum mods are installed. They can create peaks and dips in the power curve. Almost as if the CAI was aliasing in phase and out of phase with the engine RPM (frequency).

If no CAI is installed, try a test.

Take the spacer off to see what difference it makes.
If you are still sure about a loss in TQ, take your car to the nearest dyno shop and get a baseline dyno. While your car is still on the dyno, reinstall the spacer and do another set of pulls to measure the difference.

Beyond normal dyno error, if your car loses power anywhere on the HP or TQ curve, I'll pay for your dynos.

For all the dyno curves I've seen during research and development and at various dyno days, so far, its only been gains.

Tony
Old 02-16-2006, 03:56 PM
showstoppertk

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
The Tech,

Could you be using any type of CAI?... They sometimes cause strange things to happen to the power curve... and even more so when plenum mods are installed. They can create peaks and dips in the power curve. Almost as if the CAI was aliasing in phase and out of phase with the engine RPM (frequency).

If no CAI is installed, try a test.

Take the spacer off to see what difference it makes.
If you are still sure about a loss in TQ, take your car to the nearest dyno shop and get a baseline dyno. While your car is still on the dyno, reinstall the spacer and do another set of pulls to measure the difference.

Beyond normal dyno error, if your car loses power anywhere on the HP or TQ curve, I'll pay for your dynos.

For all the dyno curves I've seen during research and development and at various dyno days, so far, its only been gains.

Tony
wow, that sounds like more than a fair proposition. then we can find out if your butt dyno is more accurate than a real dyno. I give tony a hell of a lot of credit for being level headed about this, of course I guess he has to be considering this is a CS issue. maybe I'm more touchy than him, but if someone put up a post saying my product caused power loss and all he had to back that up was "oh I know my car and I can feel it" I'd be pissed. its one thing to post a problem your having with a new part, its another to say that part doesn't do what its supposed to.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:27 PM
BootieMAN

Originally Posted by THE TECH
Not sure what's up with everyone and the sarcasm. I know for a fact everyone doesn't run out and dyno their cars after every mod they put on. You don't always need a dyno to tell you what's going on with your car.
I fall into the dyno after every mod category. That way I know my baseline #'s before and after each and every time.
Here are my improvement dyno #'s with the 5/16 spacer: My HP increased by 10.4 and my TQ increased by 6.9.
Even before I dyno'd my car I could tell there was an increase in power. Best bang for the buck, besides nitrous.
Kudos to Tony and his great customer service.

-Bootay
Old 02-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Yellow Stealth

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First, my hat off to Tony for handling this issue like someone who believes in his product and is willing to stand behind it.

So here is my non-professional 2 cents: I installed my 5/16" spacer a few weeks ago and reset my ECU in the process by disconnecting the battery for almost 24 hours. My car also has a JWT pop-charger.

For the first couple hundred miles, I could not really feel the extra power, and I was almost questioning if I had not maybe lost a little (all by the seat of my pants, highly subjective). However, now that I have several hundred miles since my mod, I feel like I do have extra power. My car now seems to haul butt.

So my question to "The Tech" is how many miles have you driven since the mod?

My question to Tony is: does the ECU have an adaptation period after the mod?
Old 02-16-2006, 04:50 PM
yellz

Tony Rocks!!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 04:51 PM
yellz

Nice offer to back up your product!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

ShowstopperTK,

Its cool and even understandable.

So many of these plenum spacers have been installed that given the bell curve of subjective butt dynos, some are bound to appear as a loss. That's just to be expected with so many subjective evaluations.

And I won't say its not possible, I just havn't seen a dyno show a loss. All the independant dynos posted have all shown only positive gains, so its OK.

I'm sure that even in this case the strong probability is that it only makes gains and with a good probability to be in the 11-13 HP range.

YellowStealth,

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I've seen both. And yes, I have seen some variation in the results for the same mod on different cars. The MREV for example has never dynod below 15.6 HP but I advertise it as a 15+ HP mod. Some independant dynos have shown as much as 22HP and 30 TQ on the MREV+. Different cars can have different results.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 02-16-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:58 PM
dscheers

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How about "responsiveness" ? Does that change anyway with this spacer ? Isn't that felt more than a few HP more or less ?

Danny

Quick Reply: Motordyne 5/16" spacer = loss of power??