Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Opinions on Kinetix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 07:53 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions on Kinetix?

I have their v4 plenum on my '03 Track and have been happy with it. I know it doesn't make quite as much power as the Crawford or the Motordyne spacers, but I keep my stock strut bar, I think it looks decent and the biggest benefit, IMO, is it's composite construction that runs extremely cool and never is victim to heat soak, which here in the southern TX heat, is likely more beneficial to performance than a little extra volume.

I've been following the thread on the MREV+/++ lower plenum mod for the 287 HP motor and am considering adding it. I also contacted Kinetix, since if I take my plenum off one more time, I'll need to redo the gasket on it. They told me about their new v5+ plenum with a completely smooth (no internal strut bar hump) interior, 10% more volume, greater strength and higher heat resistance and recommended I trade in my v4 and upgrade ($100).

Wondering what I should do. I could do the upgrade and get the MREV++ MMP, I could just keep my v4and add the lower plenum, or I could sell my v4 and go with the full Motordyne spacer/MREV++ MMP package (run alot hotter on the plenum, though). Heck, I could just do nothing; we're maybe talking about a 5HP addition here. I would probably benefit more from optimizing what I have with a reflash, right? I know, I know, mod bug and all, can't have enough power, every little bit helps, etc...

Anyway, just looking for opinions on what I should do and opinions on the Kinetix stuff in general. Anyone have their cats? I was thinking about the Crawfords, but Kinetix is much cheaper ($370).

Oh, my other engine mods are: Popcharger, CNR lightweight stock size pulley and Nismo exhaust.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:03 AM
pln2311

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered the SSV. I'm very happy with it.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:06 AM
done12many2

Originally Posted by pln2311
Have you considered the SSV. I'm very happy with it.
I second that. The SSV is great.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:37 AM
MustGoFastR

SSV is way more than I'm looking to spend.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:40 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard mixed reviews...some have bought and sold there SSV's. I have the AAM P spacer and bang for the buck you cant beat it. However I have heard good gains with the Kinetix SSV with a SC? I looking into it to see if the SSV is worth the dough? Please help with gains that you have noted?
Old 04-19-2006, 05:41 PM
taurran

If money is at all a consideration, go with a plenum spacer (I prefer Motordyne). However, if your car is mainly for show, the kinetix is big bling under the hood.

I can't really speak for Kinetix's quality. I've personally had quality issues with their parts and have seen people that have noticed the same thing. Their customer service is great, however.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Cannysage

Originally Posted by taurran
If money is at all a consideration, go with a plenum spacer (I prefer Motordyne). However, if your car is mainly for show, the kinetix is big bling under the hood.
+1 spacers and ssv give you around the same gains, but SSV looks phat.. it'll also be a better choice for FI, IMO.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:49 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by Cannysage
+1 spacers and ssv give you around the same gains, but SSV looks phat.. it'll also be a better choice for FI, IMO.
That's arguable. In fact, the plenum spacers have demonstrated power gains equivalent to that of the aftermarket plenum upgrades. Kinetix' claims of 50+ whp with their plenum is a load of crap if you know the story behind it. I heard of people initially losing power with it, even.

I, for one, had almost 20whp gains from my plenum spacer. Can't beat that for $200 (I was in the group buy).
Old 04-19-2006, 08:58 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL G-SPOT
However I have heard good gains with the Kinetix SSV with a SC?
I don't think that's really true either.. Unfortunately the guy who had the first prototype did more to damage the SSV's reputation than help it. His before and after dynos which showed incredible gains with FI were not properly done and people inevitably picked it apart(rought crowd lol)... he tried to defend himself but made matters worse and worse until the SSV became a bad joke.

There is a guy local to me with pretty much the same mods as i have...Procharger.. blah blah blah.. except he has the Kinetix SSV and I have a Motordyne 1/4" spacer.. tuned by teh same guy.. we put down very close to the same numbers on the dyno..

it does look nice though.. it better for $800

--mike
Old 04-19-2006, 09:29 PM
dscheers

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the Kinetix V 4 and changed to the SSV. Although I'm not absolutely sure (I did 7 to 9 psi and cams at the same time) I believe I got 4 HP more out of the Plenum upgrade

Danny
Old 04-20-2006, 01:14 AM
o snap its eric

i've had their products before. Yes their cats cracked on me but they sent me a replacement fast. They also sent me a new designed one and he never cracked. Its weird how Kenetix never post anymore.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:33 AM
4SHIZZIL

Default Bling

Originally Posted by leemik
I don't think that's really true either.. Unfortunately the guy

it does look nice though.. it better for $800

--mike
I do like the bling factor...thats why I bought the G and not the Z. (No offense, I dont want to get hammer by this tuff crowd..lol) I love them both but im more blingish ridding on 20" TSW Modellos. I appreciate all the love from this site..it is more than informative. I think I will go with the KSSV or just buy a carbon fiber engine bay kit to go over my AAM spacer that I already have.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:22 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing about the SSV is that it looks much nicer than the stock plenum but there is no engine cover for it.. and the VQ looks bad IMO without the engine cover.. so it's like you are blinging out one area but unblinging another lol

--mike

Last edited by leemik; 04-20-2006 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:36 AM
4SHIZZIL

Default Agreed

The thing about the SSV is that it looks much nicer than the stock plenum but there is no engine cover for it.. and the VQ looks bad IMO without the engine cover.. so it's like you are blinging out one area but unblinging another lol

--mike

Carbo Fibo might be the ticket over the AAM P Spacer....looks good on Ryan (SIAMESE) TT Greddy set up.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:43 AM
MoodDude

The SSV looks great in itself - plus you get actual gains from the unit and keep your tower strut bar. Yet - it exposes the rest of your engine - and overall - I think it makes your total engine compartment look less than stock.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:14 AM
dscheers

Originally Posted by MoodDude
The SSV looks great in itself - plus you get actual gains from the unit and keep your tower strut bar. Yet - it exposes the rest of your engine - and overall - I think it makes your total engine compartment look less than stock.
Custom Polished Aluminium or CF cover will fix that...

Danny
Old 04-21-2006, 05:08 PM
davidf

Kinetix claims to have a custom carbon cover out soon for the SSV.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:18 PM
dscheers

Originally Posted by davidf
Kinetix claims to have a custom carbon cover out soon for the SSV.
Yeah... they have been claiming that ever since the SSV came out...
Old 05-31-2006, 09:50 AM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

--mike
There is a molded manifold cover to go with the Kinetix SSV. I wish I could remember the web site...I iwll try to find it and post it . One word for the cover....SWEEEEEEET!!
Old 05-31-2006, 10:10 AM
dscheers

This one ?

http://www.350zclubofflorida.com/php...21611ba6d48b9c