Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Cosworth Intake and Intake Plenum *new pics*

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Zexy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iceburns288
Usually, yes, Cosworth are miracle-makers. They build racing engines for top-notch teams, and they were the first engine builder to break 20,000rpm in F1.
They don't put the same R&D into their sport compact market. The only thing that sells in this case is the name and the unique design of a manifold.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:04 PM
SergEK

Originally Posted by mavtais
I'm not sure if Cosworth has the amount of commitment to continue developing an obsolete 350Z DE motor that was replaced by the much more effective (and maybe even more efficient) HR.
Worldwide there are more 2006 and older VQ's than anything else so why NOT develope something for that motor?

DE tuners > HR tuners

Money talks and this manifold which is so close to production will make them money so why quit?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Wraith

bump bump bump bump!!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:34 AM
mavtais

Originally Posted by SergEK
Worldwide there are more 2006 and older VQ's than anything else so why NOT develope something for that motor?

DE tuners > HR tuners

Money talks and this manifold which is so close to production will make them money so why quit?
There is a finite number of DE motors, and from that finite number, only a fraction would be willing to buy this piece for numerous reasons (too expensive, not enough gains alone, already have something else, already FI, etc...). It's hard to determine whether it will make money or not.
But looking at history, the B-series motor from Honda was extremely popular for a very long time, even after the introduction of the K-series. Tuners continued to work on the B-series, but that was because it didn't fall out after only 3 years. It was also used in many vehicles. The DE is out, and the HR is in. 80% new. Unlike the B-series, not as many parts are interchangeable. But the DE is used across many platforms, like Altima, Maxima, Murano, etc... but still with the same problem: not interchangeable, due to FF -> FR drivetrains. We don't have the B-series capability to swap a head over from VQ30DE to 35, or bolt-up a tranny. It doesn't work that simple with Nissans.
I'd love to see this piece come out, if Cosworth put in the validation testing and made sure it worked (not dyno, but on the track - the physics are different because of forward motion). But with all that said, I'm just not waiting for it anymore.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:11 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

HR might change out in a yr or two - then the HR will be "out" will little if any market penetration. Until the HR market size comes close to the DE market size (which is big now and is still growing since DE cars will still be sold into next year), vendors won't see a return on investment... No question they are late to the game though. EDIT: The real reason they might not release is because they cannot compete with spacer/MREV2 cost/benefit ratio...

Last edited by rcdash; 08-06-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Wraith

Do i dare Bump this thread???? Oh well why not!!!!!!! BUMPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

Helloooooo Cosworth where are you?????????????
Old 08-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Greedy4nismo

the VQ35HR only stayed in the G35 for 1 model year...looks like its gonna be in the Z for 2 years, but still that's not what i'd call a long stint
Old 08-27-2007, 09:49 AM
mavtais

Originally Posted by Greedy4nismo
the VQ35HR only stayed in the G35 for 1 model year...looks like its gonna be in the Z for 2 years, but still that's not what i'd call a long stint
VQ37HR is the same motor. And you're talking about the coupe vs the sedan. Regardless, it still counts. Stop thinking that Nissan will change the motor every year.
Anyways, what RCDASH said: "Cost benefit ratio" cannot be met compared to spacers.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:00 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greedy4nismo

The G35 Sedan keeps the 3.5L HR. The G37 has the newer HR engine, but its the same and both will bolt on. The 350z won't have a change till 2011 now not 2009.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:23 PM
mavtais

Greedy,
Furthermore, the reason the G35 has only had the VQ35HR for 1 year is because this is the first year it came out...
Old 08-28-2007, 09:32 AM
RBlover69

yea, i believe from a business stand point the DE market is the money market. To produce for the HR right now isnt really gonna make bank becasue there are limtied HRs out there to sell to. The DE will probably outsell the HRs simply because there is a growing market deveoplement for them and used Zs are all DEs . If i was starting a company for a Z i wouldnt make my companies buisness HR parts ..i mean that is just asking to go belly up. The HR market is a small one. And probably will always be that because nissan is obviously gonna change the engine again. The HR isnt really that impressive from a competetion stand point . Its a mature DE engine but really until they launch either the 3.7 and bump the output or the real candy the 3.8 i dont see the HR market being as huge as the DE market. When it comes to FI really i see no advanages when the De already responds well to FI as is not to mention the revup. The problem is the De has time and companies on its deveopment table not a few not a couple but a entire roster and a continuing market of buyers and owners. And nissan has other engines out there that can really make a splash in the Z. Which the HR though has received good reviews hasnt really made a impact on the scene as the DE has or even the revup. I havent even seen mags even cover the engine change as something noticable. Maybey the delay ..i dunno.

all i know is until the 3.8HR comes out ..no trade in for me.

another thing that is gonna be nice for the 3.5HR is the piping when it does go FI. its gonna look hella nice.And the nismo Z has gotten alot of praise for its aero package and suspension upgrades.

Last edited by RBlover69; 08-28-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:57 PM
davids
F U StuLax18

I see Z1 is taking pre-orders:
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ne&prodid=2844
Old 12-25-2007, 09:52 AM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by davids
yeah. I HATE how they always list numbers found on FI cars. Bite the bullet and list the mediocre N/A gains so we can decide if its worth the money!
Old 12-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The NA dynos on a purely stock non revup car were already posted....

You guys (as a group) are sometimes a bit amazing....the plenum has been in the hands of 1, just 1 person, for less than a week....mind you the week before Christmas, and despite several dynos being posted right away, it's still not enough to satisfy the masses? Have some patience guys....
Old 12-25-2007, 07:31 PM
dragone2717

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
The NA dynos on a purely stock non revup car were already posted....

You guys (as a group) are sometimes a bit amazing....the plenum has been in the hands of 1, just 1 person, for less than a week....mind you the week before Christmas, and despite several dynos being posted right away, it's still not enough to satisfy the masses? Have some patience guys....
I don't think it's about being impatient, maybe some people just like to see more then one post. Results vary from car-to-car stock or not.

Think about it, you're talking about people that are thinking about spending over a grand on a plenum . I for one am not one of those people who think just becuz they're making an expensive plenum and say it's supposed to give you so many horses I'm gonna go out and buy it. I wanna here from as many people as possible about their results and experienses before I go out and spend that money. So maybe they just wanna be sure about what their gonna get into. So really I don't think One person is going to satisfy them. So please be patient with them.

Vendors, This was written not offend anyone, just to give an insight of whats on the other side of the counter.
Thanx

Last edited by dragone2717; 12-26-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:05 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my point is, I think we are lucky we have ANY dynos at this point - one guy got them and so far has dynod 3 cars the week before Christmas...that's a good thing. The info is starting to get out there.....and for those who want more immediate results from a large sample of people, that's not something you are going to see anytime soon. Results will literally trickle in as the pieces are delivered to people, installed, and tuned.