Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Factory airbox duct???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:40 AM
davidf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory airbox duct???

Like a lot of you I'm running a Varis bumper duct but want to make it actually more functional. Ive seen a couple of ducts that attach to the core support to "direct" air to the airbox but is there one that actually slips over the airbox neck? My goal is to draw air strictly from the varis to the airbox. {ramair effect} The closest I've seen is the C-West duct but still not sure how it fits. Anyone? Thanks BTW.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:32 PM
XuperXero

I have varis intake duct too with stock airbox.

I already did something to make it have more ram air effects, It's not completely sealed yet so it's more of a air guide rather than air affect. However, when I put my hand over the duct and have my friend rev the engine. I can definitely feel air being sucked in from the duct.

I went to home depot, canadian tire, and other stores in the search of something to connect the air duct to airbox. no luck. I had to do something ghetto...

Went to walmart... Bought a binder made out of thick plastic. Went home with some cardboard and started making templates and test fitting. then I finally cut the binder using templates and mounted it on. Works well as air guide. I'll look later into this week to make it completely sealed somehow... I was thinking silicone?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:06 PM
NaNa-Papa-J

Originally Posted by XuperXero
I have varis intake duct too with stock airbox.

I already did something to make it have more ram air effects, It's not completely sealed yet so it's more of a air guide rather than air affect. However, when I put my hand over the duct and have my friend rev the engine. I can definitely feel air being sucked in from the duct.

I went to home depot, canadian tire, and other stores in the search of something to connect the air duct to airbox. no luck. I had to do something ghetto...

Went to walmart... Bought a binder made out of thick plastic. Went home with some cardboard and started making templates and test fitting. then I finally cut the binder using templates and mounted it on. Works well as air guide. I'll look later into this week to make it completely sealed somehow... I was thinking silicone?
Interesting...got any pics??
Old 05-01-2007, 09:58 PM
XuperXero

Post them up tomorrow. Since my camera phone sucks quality at night.

Another note to mention. The original hole for the varis intake duct is pretty small and restrictive, so I cutted it with a hack saw then sanded it down to enlarge the opening so it's more effective.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:51 AM
davidf

Getto works for me.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:55 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

evo-r makes one that attaches to the back of the air duct and into the air box I believe

Type II
http://www.evo-r.net/product/CAI/tube/index.htm
Old 05-02-2007, 04:58 AM
davidf

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
evo-r makes one that attaches to the back of the air duct and into the air box I believe

Type II
http://www.evo-r.net/product/CAI/tube/index.htm
Thanks, I check with Jay when he wakes up.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:08 AM
jtoddj

yea good luck on getting that piece, hes told me for 2 months that I will have it "next week", no luck yet.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:54 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

If anyone is interested, I have a Evo-R type II kit for sale. It took a couple of months to get it and after test fitting, I decided not to install it in my Aerosync bumper. Selling for $75 + shipping for the entire kit (including instructions, template and hardware). PM or e-mail if interested:

Nissan7gt3@comcast.net
Old 05-02-2007, 06:00 AM
XuperXero

I thought about the EVO-R duct. But from the pictures, the tubing just looked too small to get some decent cfm or air flow in to the airbox and may actually restrict air at higher speed. Which is why I went my route.

As for pics... I'll go take right now. Expect them in 10 min!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:49 AM
Nihilation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for pics... I'll go take right now. Expect them in 10 min!
48 minutes later...
Old 05-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Zquicksilver

I had to do something ghetto...

What some call ghetto, others may call genius! Every idea starts somewhere, take it from me, a product designer. Does this look like a $5 dollar trash can to you? I was tired of sucking in hot engine bay heat with my Fujita-5 intake, but I bought this intake already knowing what I was going to do, lol.

IMO, loose the OEM intake inlet and increase the opening by 15%. I simply friction mounted my box opening to fit within the metal frame, behind that opening for a perfect seal.

GL,
Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 05-02-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:08 PM
XuperXero

Sorry about the delay! I completely forgot about this after I got distracted with other things post-taking pictures.

here they are.

The air guide made out of thick plastic binder... held down by double sided tape+duct tape (the damn thing won't stick properly!)

Close up of the enlarged intake duct.

Intake duct.

Sorry for the crappy pictures! I couldn't get sufficient light for my 2mp phone camera to reveal more behind the duct. Basically if you look in the duct from the front. You'll see the plastic leading/guiding the air all the way to the airbox.

Zquicksilver, that's actually a nice airbox setup. But I was trying to route air into the airbox via air duct.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:27 PM
doskiez

I did an air duct with brake duct hose. It will work with the stock air box i just happen to have a popcharger. I didnt want to put a hole in my bumper =) what do yall think?
Attached Thumbnails Factory airbox duct???-duct-2.jpg   Factory airbox duct???-duct-in.jpg  
Old 05-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Zquicksilver

^ I think its ok... But I think your hose is killing some of your performance. You've basically blocked your opening (cold air), now the PopCharger is forced to pull in air from the engine bay (hot). That shield only works so well...

I think your better off removing that hose from the little inner cone, which will now get clogged faster, and dropping it back 2 inches to supply the whole filter with fresh air. You could probably lose the hose entirely and you would notice a difference.

Zquicksilver
Old 05-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Zquicksilver

You'll see the plastic leading/guiding the air all the way to the airbox.

Zquicksilver, that's actually a nice airbox setup. But I was trying to route air into the airbox via air duct.
Thanks...

I would opt for a thicker more permanent material. The trashcan will have a heavier gauge plastic and large flat section to work from. Make a mockup out of cardboard or take your current plastic setup and refit it until it maximizes the volume. I used pop-rivets to hold the bulk of my container together along with wing-nuts at strategic points for easy disassembly.

GL and have fun!
Zquicksilver