Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently
View Poll Results: Is a CAI worth the money?
Yes
33.33%
no
33.33%
Did you not see the other 8,000 threads on this?
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

FINALLY ANSWERED: What is the best __________ ? (Intake, Exhaust, headers, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 03:39 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,128 Likes on 6,581 Posts

jeebus... get what you like and what you can afford
Old 03-28-2015, 06:00 PM
CNunes_95

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need advice for new intake setup

Hey everybody. So currently, I have an AEM short ram intake set up in my z33, which is how I bought it. However, I've been looking for a new set up because my short ram still sits in a heat soaked engine bay, sucking in hotter air radiated from the motor.

After doing some research, I am stuck between two intakes at the moment... The ideal system I've found is the injen long ram cold air intake system, where the air filter sits behind the front bumper, sucking in not only higher pressurized air than my short ram would, but colder air as well. Thus, combining the cold air and short ram set up. It took me some time to finally find this set up for my Z as most people go with the cold air or short ram set up. Goes for $325.00 on z1 Motorsports. Plus, the intake would look nice and pretty too.

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=6112

My second option is the JWT Popcharger, which is sort of like a short ram, but more developed. I've heard many good things about the popcharger as well. It sits right next to the air duct with a heat shield, also offering an intake filter with a ram air cone. This set up goes for $110.00 on z1 motorsports too.

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2008

So I am left deciding on which one to choose. Obviously, I'm saving a nice amount of $$$ with the pop charger, but ultimately, I'm looking for the best and most optimal intake set up for performance... What do you guys think?
Old 03-28-2015, 08:25 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Just saw this pop up on craigslist if you are leaning towards the Injen:

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/4953555336.html

This guy is sorta by my place - would go grab it for you if you are interested...PM me...
Old 03-28-2015, 08:34 PM
CNunes_95

Originally Posted by bealljk
Just saw this pop up on craigslist if you are leaning towards the Injen:

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/4953555336.html

This guy is sorta by my place - would go grab it for you if you are interested...PM me...
Looks beat up. Would rather buy it brand new
Old 03-28-2015, 08:54 PM
CNunes_95

Exclamation Advice on some mods??

Hey everybody. So currently, I have an AEM short ram intake set up in my z33, which is how I bought it. However, I've been looking for a new set up because my short ram still sits in a heat soaked engine bay, sucking in hotter air radiated from the motor.

After doing some research, I am stuck between two intakes at the moment... The ideal system I've found is the injen long ram cold air intake system, where the air filter sits behind the front bumper, sucking in not only higher pressurized air than my short ram would, but colder air as well. Thus, combining the cold air and short ram set up. It took me some time to finally find this set up for my Z as most people go with the cold air or short ram set up. Goes for $325.00 on z1 Motorsports. Plus, the intake would look nice and pretty too.

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=6112

My second option is the JWT Popcharger, which is sort of like a short ram, but more developed. I've heard many good things about the popcharger as well. It sits right next to the air duct with a heat shield, also offering an intake filter with a ram air cone. This set up goes for $110.00 on z1 motorsports too.

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2008

So I am left deciding on which one to choose. Obviously, I'm saving a nice amount of $$$ with the pop charger, but ultimately, I'm looking for the best and most optimal intake set up for performance... What do you guys think?
Old 03-28-2015, 10:45 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,317 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Moved to the correct section, look around here for a few.

You are right about a short ram with no heat shield sucking
Old 04-08-2015, 12:05 PM
James Tollick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2003 Exhaust Question/Help

Hey guys, I'm new to the 350z and my first major upgrade I want to do is a full exhaust; from headers to the end. I would like the pipping to be a bit bigger than stock too. Anyone have good recommendations on brands or types? I was thinking about getting headers, xyz fitment and the mufflers and just going to a muffler shop to get some pipes made to fit the three. Just looking for advise. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:18 PM
James Tollick

Exclamation exhaust advices

New to the 350z world. Whats the best route for an exhaust system for the 03-06 350z. Should i just by mufflers and just get a good muffler shop custom make one? Im in florida so theres a lot of them and i personally live like 2 minutes away from one of the best ones in jacksonville. Just wanting to know what people have done, to learn from other peoples sucess/failures.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:15 PM
LOL WUT

Depends on what your budget is. I would look into some test pipes or a nice cat back.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:51 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Depends on your goals and budget of course...but to save you time and harassment I'll just cut to the bottom line to help you out.

For performance...no question....Motordyne ART pipes...about $600, but...might get a little rasp with stock exhaust I've heard.

For sound quality....there's a few good ones, best overall and biggest price will be Motordyne TDX 2...about $1600 plus install, but you can do the install with a buddy and some patience. The ART pipes install is more tedious and you need about six feet of ratchet extension and some Kroil to loosen some key bolts typically...but it's DIYable.

A good cat-back exhaust will make some nice difference in sound quality of course, I'd recommend you get on YouTube and have a listen to a bunch of exhaust, and of course real life will sound even better, but it will get you in the ballpark of what tone qualities exist for each model of exhaust.

Nismo exhaust is not impressive to me...I've heard it in person and it's just not loud or aggressive enough for the money.

I can't think of the one that is a pretty nice balance of tone, rumble, sophistication and cost...it's a different sounding name and affordable if around $600 - $800 is affordable. I'll try to remember.

For low end exhaust....ehhhhh.....generally not worth it....but possibly a used HKS clone....many are happy to have the added sound and I can understand that..it's nice enough...but admittedly not Motordyne. Others will have good input too I'm sure....lots of knowledgable people in these forums...and some that are quick to tell you to go search.

A good exhaust really adds a ton to the fun though...research and buy wisely. You won't regret it.

Saved
Old 04-09-2015, 04:04 AM
Snowxo

Did no one mention Agency Power? Look it up. One of the best sounding exhausts I've ever heard, I did a lot of extensive research and I decided to pick one up, I have 0 regrets.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:26 AM
travlee
Master

try reading.... this has been asked many times in the 12 years the car has been out

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...aders-etc.html

Last edited by travlee; 04-09-2015 at 04:27 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:49 AM
lifekenophobic

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a Tomei Expreme Ti exhaust for sale, if you're interested. I'm also in Jacksonville, so I could give you a better price on local pick-up. It's a fantastic exhaust, but was a little loud for my taste (at least for a daily driver). It did give a noticeable bump in performance, and it sounds great.

PM me if you'd like to know more.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:05 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

E-cutout
Old 04-09-2015, 07:27 AM
ricardoreyes626

How can I start a thread?
Old 04-09-2015, 07:32 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by ricardoreyes626
jeebus
Old 04-09-2015, 07:34 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,097 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by ricardoreyes626
Start by using the search feature to answer your question which has more than likely already been answered.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:52 AM
James Tollick

Originally Posted by lifekenophobic
I have a Tomei Expreme Ti exhaust for sale, if you're interested. I'm also in Jacksonville, so I could give you a better price on local pick-up. It's a fantastic exhaust, but was a little loud for my taste (at least for a daily driver). It did give a noticeable bump in performance, and it sounds great.

PM me if you'd like to know more.
I messaged you.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:05 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I would find an aftermarket exhaust that you like and go after it. A custom job isnt the worst thing in the world but why re-invent the wheel?

I wouldnt do headers - it wont yeild much and don't expect huge gains from just headers(if you do them), high flow cats/test pipes, and an exhaust. The engine is pretty efficient from the factory.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:27 PM
m e l l o w

Like the others have said - Search.

Just to humor you I will add...
My AAM single exhaust setup sounded great and I received a ton of compliments. Although some may complain of drone or rasp from these types of exhaust (I didn't notice much of any vs my friend's Megan or my old HKS rep.)

Quick Reply: FINALLY ANSWERED: What is the best __________ ? (Intake, Exhaust, headers, etc)