Biochem7
Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Berk High flow cats installed

My setup before the cats went in:

MD 5/16 spacer
TurboXS catback
UTEC

Install: Honestly the install was not as bad as I thought it would be. With a breaker bar, some extensions, good wrenches, and creativity one could easily loosen all the bolts in no time. The major problem I had was to remove the actual catalytic converter from the manifold and Y-pipe. I ended up unbolting the Y-pipe from the B-pipe and then sliding the cats out. The cat/manifold gaskets were in excellent condition so I re-used them. I went to Pep boys and got some metal-rubber gaskets for the Y-pipe/cat connection. The Berk cats fit with no problem and everything lined up perfectly.

Driving impressions: On first startup, me and my wife immediately noticed the increase in sound. Much deeper and mean sounding The car pulls like a banshee and is so smooth to redline. I honestly was not expecting a noticeable gain from these cats. In fact, the gains I felt were similar to the gains I felt with the 5/16" spacer.

I have the UTEC installed and will try running the base map to see if I can get a little more power, but I am not getting tuned until the Vortech is on. As for CEL, 60 miles and no problems so far.

For $315 shipped, these cats were well worth it!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Beeker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume you installed the ceramic cats?

I want to order a set of these but I am trying to decide between the ceramic and the metallic.

I have a Borla TD now and I like the way it sounds. I could stand it being a bit louder but I don't want it to be too loud.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Biochem7
Regular

Originally Posted by Beeker
I assume you installed the ceramic cats?

I want to order a set of these but I am trying to decide between the ceramic and the metallic.

I have a Borla TD now and I like the way it sounds. I could stand it being a bit louder but I don't want it to be too loud.
I installed the ceramic ones. I tried searching for proof that metallic cats really put out more power than the ceramic versions. If you're looking for maximum power, get test pipes. With the Borla, it shouldn't be too loud.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Beeker

I am not getting test pipes. I don't want to deal with the smell, cel, rasp, etc. If I get anything it will be high flow cats.

I've done a ton of reading and I've read that metallic cats are suppose to be more reliable. Whether that is true or not I don't know. I also read that metallic cats should flow better which should help to increase power. I'm sure it makes a very small difference on a N/A car but the metallics "should" give more power. My question is how much louder will they be compared to the ceramic.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:23 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aftermarket mettalic cores last longer than ceramic core.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Beeker

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Aftermarket mettalic cores last longer than ceramic core.
I've read that before. Aren't the stock cats ceramic? They seem to last for a very long time. I think ceramic are fine for N/A. Metallic will hold up better with the heat of a turbo charged car but I don't think they are necessary on a N/A.

Does that sound right? I am about to order a set and I don't want to kick myself down the road if the ceramic cats fail. It is $100.00 more for the metallics. I need to decide what to get before they aren't on sale anymore....
Old 08-06-2007, 12:03 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's why I said AFTERMARKET mettallic. The oem is ceramic and will outlast both aftermarket cores. Aftermarket mettalic cores outlast aftermarket ceramic cores but not oem. Mettalic cores also sound a bit different than ceramics. I am n/a and chose mettalic ones.

Last edited by jonnylaw; 08-06-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Mazinger Z

Hey, I was thinking about Berk too. Kudos for being one of the first ones I had a question about the smell. Did you notice any increase in exhaust odor after the install?

Also, if you had a sound clip it would be awesome.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Biochem7
Regular

The stock cats are ceramic. Beeker if you are really concerned I say just get the metal cats. The piping diameter is the same on both versions just the catalytic material is different. BTW, I chose NOT to get the cat section polished and they look great, I think all polished is overkill.

Bugsbbunny, after I initially installed I smelled burnt rubber from many WOT adventures and the smell of new gaskets. I did NOT smell any "fuel" smell.

I'll try to make a clip and post here. My turboXS just sounds angry now

Last edited by Biochem7; 08-06-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Mazinger Z

^Niice, can't wait man.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:25 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

sound clip? I'm thinking about the Berk metallic HFCs and Turbo XS exhaust for my HR. Concerned about the ID of the cats though...they are stock inner diameter right? Wondering if I should go with 2.5in hfcs paired with a turbo xs exhaust because the turbo xs y pipe inlet is 2.5 inch I believe, and I'd like to have optimal flow...and maximized gains.. Have to get to 300rwhp before my Revup buddy. lol

Last edited by ZLadie2000; 10-23-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Biochem7
Regular

Originally Posted by ZLadie2000
sound clip? I'm thinking about the Berk metallic HFCs and Turbo XS exhaust for my HR. Concerned about the ID of the cats though...they are stock inner diameter right? Wondering if I should go with 2.5in hfcs paired with a turbo xs exhaust because the turbo xs y pipe inlet is 2.5 inch I believe, and I'd like to have optimal flow...and maximized gains.. Have to get to 300rwhp before my Revup buddy. lol
yeah, I have been busy with school. The ID of the Berk cats is larger than stock and very similar to the TurboXS y-pipe.

For the price, the Berk cats were an excellent choice. If you already have the TurboXS exhaust, the tone is exactly the same only 2X as loud at WOT. The Berk cats also seem to be doing great with my Vortech setup.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:32 AM
gothchick

OP, what front end do you have?... I see catfish everytime I see that front end. Hmmm, makes me kind of hungry too. :-)
Old 10-23-2007, 11:35 AM
meaj82

I believe thats the veilside ver2 front
Old 10-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Biochem7
Regular

Originally Posted by gothchick
OP, what front end do you have?... I see catfish everytime I see that front end. Hmmm, makes me kind of hungry too. :-)
Veilside 2. I think a lot of things when I see some of the body kits people put on their cars
Old 10-23-2007, 02:50 PM
derek173

so the metallic maybe put out more horsepower then ceramic but they definiately last longer right?

Are the metallics much louder? How long can you expect aftermarket HFCs to last?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:48 PM
scmtkings4

ok we're talking about metallic and ceramic HFC and how much longer the metallics will last as compared to the ceramics. My question is, how long are the HFCs supposed to last? Approximately how many miles? (If reg driving)
Old 10-25-2007, 05:08 PM
BADASSTT

Originally Posted by scmtkings4
ok we're talking about metallic and ceramic HFC and how much longer the metallics will last as compared to the ceramics. My question is, how long are the HFCs supposed to last? Approximately how many miles? (If reg driving)
Longer than the stock cats. Maybe they would outlast the car.