Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

exhaust DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 01:03 PM
ramkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust DIY?

this might had been answered already, if so my bad, ived searched and none found, is there a DIY how to remove stock exhaust? in here i have an 08 and bought new HKS exhaust and want to install em myself...any help is highly appreciated peace

ram
Old 02-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Z You Later

it's very simple actually...as long as you can get the car off the ground to where you can comfortably get underneath and have a basic socket set, you can knock it out within 1-2 hours depending on how fast you go
Old 02-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Sbz33

^ what he said. Spray WD-40 on all the bolts and let it sit for awhile. thatll make the bolts come off a little easier. I started from the y pipe and took off the muffler last. for your new exhaust start with hks h pipe than the mid pipes than the mufflers last. just some tips.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:51 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Make such you have a installation kit.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:30 PM
ramkat

kewl thanks yall, ive swapped coil overs before i guess i can wing this...
Old 02-06-2009, 07:05 PM
reldla1996

I found it helped to remove the exhaust hangars from the car, and drop the hangars and exhaust together. That allowed me to wrestle the rubber hangars off while standing up, wrestle them on the new one while standing up, which really beat trying to do it under the car with things in the way. Then I bolted them back on the car with the exhaust attached.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:12 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv

Make such you have a installation kit.
Thats the header kit, a 14mm wrench is all thats needed for exhaust.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:20 PM
ramkat

[QUOTE=reldla1996;6919541]I found it helped to remove the exhaust hangars from the car, and drop the hangars and exhaust together. That allowed me to wrestle the rubber hangars off while standing up, wrestle them on the new one while standing up, which really beat trying to do it under the car with things in the way. Then I bolted them back on the car with the exhaust attached.[/Q

my cars pretty new got it last march.. the screws should still be fresh i hope, ill be doing this project in my garage. with a couple of stands and enough tools to get the job done..i hope i can knock this out in 2 hours.... ill post some pics hopefully....more scrapes and cuts like always...hey but its fun
Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 AM
ramkat

ok need more help guys, so i bought the hks ti dual exhaust and i also purchase the berks hfcs...planning to install em this thursday, now do i need anything else such as sealants or anything else im missing? pls any suggestions are once again appreciated...peace
Old 02-10-2009, 08:41 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No you dont, but the top bolts on the cats are gonna make you hate nissan. I used a 4 foot half inch extension and a breaker bar.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:21 PM
ramkat

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
No you dont, but the top bolts on the cats are gonna make you hate nissan. I used a 4 foot half inch extension and a breaker bar.
dang dat long lol,,thanks
so your install doesnt have any leaks?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reldla1996
I found it helped to remove the exhaust hangars from the car, and drop the hangars and exhaust together. That allowed me to wrestle the rubber hangars off while standing up, wrestle them on the new one while standing up, which really beat trying to do it under the car with things in the way. Then I bolted them back on the car with the exhaust attached.
That's good advice. I just pulled my stock exhaust off this past weekend and I have an 03 After starring at the hangers for the muffler, I realized that getting it off the hangers was going to be a real PITA. I just took off the 2 plastic covers that obscure the hanger bolts and took the hangers down with the muffler section. That turned out to be a really good move.

Spray PB Blaster on all bolts and you should be able to get them off without any issues. I broke 2 of mine in the process because they just refused to break loose after so many years. You should not have this problem given your MY. Overall, the install was pretty easy. If I had a lift, it would have been even 10x easier. I did mine with ramps and a creeper.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:44 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ramkat
dang dat long lol,,thanks
so your install doesnt have any leaks?
No, no leaks. A lift is your friend for the cats but i kno people have gotten by without.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:26 AM
Runninbeer

Originally Posted by ramkat
ok need more help guys, so i bought the hks ti dual exhaust and i also purchase the berks hfcs...planning to install em this thursday, now do i need anything else such as sealants or anything else im missing? pls any suggestions are once again appreciated...peace
Yes you will need an impact wrench. Unless you are incredibly strong. You would think a new vehcile would be easy WRONG. When I bought my 06 new. I also got a Nismo cat back. Thought I would do it myself. Got underneath and couldnt break a nut. So I took the car and had it done. Only cost about a 100.00.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:09 AM
THe Emperor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can definitely be done without an impact wrench. Like others have said PB Blaster and maybe a breaker bar.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 AM
Runninbeer

Originally Posted by THe Emperor
It can definitely be done without an impact wrench. Like others have said PB Blaster and maybe a breaker bar.
True, but an impact wrench made it like butter.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:25 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

I would take one more jack stand or something similar to can hold exhaust under the car.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:28 AM
ramkat

dang i dont have impact wrenches or breaker bars..like yall said..looks like its goin to be tough to get these bolts out....but i dont wanna pay to get these done so will see tom...i will post some pics of cuts and bruises i get from this haha i mean of the progress...
Old 02-11-2009, 08:50 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by Runninbeer
Yes you will need an impact wrench. Unless you are incredibly strong. You would think a new vehcile would be easy WRONG. When I bought my 06 new. I also got a Nismo cat back. Thought I would do it myself. Got underneath and couldnt break a nut. So I took the car and had it done. Only cost about a 100.00.
Quality sockets and quality wrenches make it simple, i don't like using an impact on them, they are to easy to strip. Not my air ratchet on the other hand, works great.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Runninbeer

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Quality sockets and quality wrenches make it simple, i don't like using an impact on them, they are to easy to strip. Not my air ratchet on the other hand, works great.
You might be right an air ratchet might work good. I dont have either yet. I was amazed at how easy a mechanic removed and installed mine having the right tools. I think the bolts on the exhaust are so tight because of the under coating combined with the heat make a pretty good thread sealer. Also consider this is going to be accomplished with jack stands. I cant tell you how many bolts I have snapped off on my jeep with standard sockets and breaker bar. This can definitely be accomplished though. I dont want to discourage the OP. There is satisfaction in doing things yourself. Good luck.

Quick Reply: exhaust DIY?