Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

The anti-popcharger thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:42 PM
GalvatronType_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The anti-popcharger thread

I had an JWT PC on my old 03 DE and while the new sound was nice, I regretted installing it. First, the heat soak (especially in the summer; "heat shield" my sweet brown skid mark-leaving a$$) was terrible and my engine would cut out here and there (admittedly while driving on the highway needing to suddenly slow down). Furthermore, I never felt the 7 WHP gain that JWT claimed and the PC seemed to be a magnet for all kinds of dust, particles, etc. Overall, sure, it was only $100 but the PC was not worth the pain it took to install and maintain.

Now on my 08 Nismo HR, I will do the right thing, keep the stock factory intakes (which are completely sealed and a CAI) and just do Blitz or HKS drop-ins.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:46 PM
07sanmarino

I don't know about the older DE models but what I've been told, the newer aftermarket intakes for the HR can really do little to improve the performance and are more for the sound, if this is the case I'll stay stock (have an '07) and enjoy the already decent airflow for now unless a desire for something different finally overtakes me. For now the cost/benefit doesn't seem to be worth it.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:16 PM
GalvatronType_R

Originally Posted by 07sanmarino
I don't know about the older DE models but what I've been told, the newer aftermarket intakes for the HR can really do little to improve the performance and are more for the sound, if this is the case I'll stay stock (have an '07) and enjoy the already decent airflow for now unless a desire for something different finally overtakes me. For now the cost/benefit doesn't seem to be worth it.
Correct, from my research, the aftermarket intakes for the VQ35HR do very little in terms of adding power (although they do add better, growlier sound). Considering that the VQ37VHR is now out, I doubt there are going to be any newer intakes for the 35 that will change this. Also, again, the factory intake is already completely sealed and a CAI so another aftermarket CAI would be pointless.

Also, most aftermarket intakes are $500 at minimum and I'm not paying that much cash just for upgraded sound.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:27 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I always here about heatsoak this and that, but when you actually log the AIT's while moving the temperature is typically only 1-2C over the outside temperature. I honestly think people are just flapping their gums without any proof to back it up. It only matters to people who are dyno queens when the car is stagnant. I'll gladly change my tune if someone can actually show a difference in operating AIT b/w 06 box and pop charger.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd like to believe my Nismo V2 air intake duct is directing extra air up to the filter area to keep it cooler.

I'm gonna drive one day with a temp sensor in that area.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:43 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

It should help, but it still isn't going to be "colder" than the outside air temp. Probly serve to just make the intake temp the same as the outside temp. I certainly will not argue that JWT adds power (esp. the +7whp they claim), but it doesn't loss any either. In all honesty i'd expect nearly identical power from both. If you have an 06 there is no reason to upgrade, but if you have an 03-05 it is a worthwhile mod.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you even know what "heat soak" is and the cause of it? look it up because obviously you don't
Old 04-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here, i looked it up for you. excellent article written and covers exactly what heat soak is and isn't. it's too long to copy/paste but i am sure you can read

http://cjbfire.com/Heatsoak.pdf
Old 04-07-2009, 02:04 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Yes....I do, and that is an excellent right up. However I was assuming that the OP was refering to loss of power as a result of increased AIT's.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:15 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wow this thread sucks DIK!
Old 04-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I always here about heatsoak this and that, but when you actually log the AIT's while moving the temperature is typically only 1-2C over the outside temperature. I honestly think people are just flapping their gums without any proof to back it up. It only matters to people who are dyno queens when the car is stagnant. I'll gladly change my tune if someone can actually show a difference in operating AIT b/w 06 box and pop charger.

Moving is one thing. Losing up to 10hp and xx degrees of ign advance from heatsoak at a stop is another.

I'm not too sure how you drive but I actually stop at quite few red lights, stop signs and crawl though rush hour traffic quite often.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:35 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

I don't see how losing 10hp makes a diff in those situations. I understand your point of view though.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Jeff92se

I don't see how losing 10hp makes a diff in those situations. I understand your point of view though.
If you like ice skating uphill, that's fine with me. I'll take (or more accurately retain) that 5-10hp on the bottm end.

I know what it feels like to have torque loss down low. My G sedan with the Borla had a nice top end but didn't do anything for the low end until I put the X pipe in. That, the Crawford plenum and the revup airbox all made noticable difference in the low end and throttle response.

Hot air intakes don't give you enough (if anything) up high to justify the heatsoak losses down low. IMHO.

Ask Hydrazine what he prefers if you don't believe me.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Get_Zwole

i have to agree with you here how is losing 10hp in standstill traffic a big deal? Once you start moving after the stop light the heat soak quickly diminishes.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Jeff92se

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
i have to agree with you here how is losing 10hp in standstill traffic a big deal? Once you start moving after the stop light the heat soak quickly diminishes.
How quickly?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:50 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
If you like ice skating uphill, that's fine with me. I'll take (or more accurately retain) that 5-10hp on the bottm end.

I know what it feels like to have torque loss down low. My G sedan with the Borla had a nice top end but didn't do anything for the low end until I put the X pipe in. That, the Crawford plenum and the revup airbox all made noticable difference in the low end and throttle response.

Hot air intakes don't give you enough (if anything) up high to justify the heatsoak losses down low. IMHO.

Ask Hydrazine what he prefers if you don't believe me.

I don't buy your claimed losses. Perhaps I will try to find someone with an 06 box and run back to back tests. I don't believe that there is any low end loss, but I can't say for certain.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Jeff92se

I don't buy your claimed losses. Perhaps I will try to find someone with an 06 box and run back to back tests. I don't believe that there is any low end loss, but I can't say for certain.
You don't have to buy my line if you don't want to. For the issue of heatsoak, search the member's name if you don't believe me. If you don't believe him, then I'll certainly never be able to convince you.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:01 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
How quickly?
From the point you have airflow. Now for where are car are designed for, canyons. Not stopping and starting , and my fav roadcourse. The pop charger helps a lot.

I guess the popcharger is a piece o crap if your a stoplight ricer, especially in rushhour traffic.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:05 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by terrasmak
From the point you have airflow. Now for where are car are designed for, canyons. Not stopping and starting , and my fav roadcourse. The pop charger helps a lot.

I guess the popcharger is a piece o crap if your a stoplight ricer, especially in rushhour traffic.
I don't know about a lot, but I agree it helps.

You don't have to buy my line if you don't want to. For the issue of heatsoak, search the member's name if you don't believe me. If you don't believe him, then I'll certainly never be able to convince you.
I never disagreed with you that at a stop it might suffer from some heatsoak. I simply stated that at a stop or in traffic it doesn't matter.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Jeff92se

Originally Posted by terrasmak

Really. How much does it help? 3rd party dynos available?

I didn't know the Z was a dedicated canyon racer that only a pop charger is good enough to justify it's awesome canyon carving capabilities. Ricers don't go flying around curves clearly

Quick Reply: The anti-popcharger thread