Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Adding/Removing HFC vs Test Pipes for emissions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 PM
djcetra

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding/Removing HFC vs Test Pipes for emissions.

I've been trying to decide whether or not to go with HFC or Test pipes but right now my concern is passing emissions if I were to move back to CA from AZ. From what I've gathered, I would have to rem the HFC or Test Pipe and put back on the OEM cats to pass and then put back on the Aftermarkets.

At this point, my questions are:

Is one more of a pain in the *** to swap out then the other?

I've read that Test Pipes cause the car to smell a lot like gas etc including the driver, how true is this statement? I don't want to smell like gas everywhere I go.

I've read here and there that Test Pipes will give you the biggest gains for the $ but most Test Pipes I've researched weren't much cheaper then HFC's. Others are saying the HFC will give you about the same, are the gains about the same? Also, what about the Check Engine light? I want a solution that is NOT going to throw the check engine light unless the gains are ridiculously higher then HFC and I believe all Test Pipes will throw CEL..

For those of you with HFC, which have you found to be the most reliable and NOT throw Check Engine Lights?

Last, any opinions on HFC & Test Pipes that sound & work great with a Greddy EVO2 Exhaust would greatly appreciated. I do like to have some sort of audible change that gives an aggressive impression but I don't want a solution that will leave my car screaming 10 blocks away sounding like a ricey pos.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by djcetra; 04-23-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:36 PM
sno

I have test pipes and went through my emissions test with them still on the car. They just did the computer plug-in test and didn't bother with the sniffer.

The only time I notice the smell is when I first start it up or if I'm really hard on the gas and then abruptly come to a stop (like if my stink cloud catches up to me). No one that's ever gotten in my car has noticed and I certainly don't smell.
The following users liked this post:
Wet feet (01-03-2018)
Old 04-24-2009, 12:23 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hummm from my experience..

Originally Posted by djcetra

At this point, my questions are:

Is one more of a pain in the *** to swap out then the other?

It's ok

I've read that Test Pipes cause the car to smell a lot like gas etc including the driver, how true is this statement? I don't want to smell like gas everywhere I go.

Yes, it is true

I've read here and there that Test Pipes will give you the biggest gains for the $ but most Test Pipes I've researched weren't much cheaper then HFC's. Others are saying the HFC will give you about the same, are the gains about the same? Also, what about the Check Engine light? I want a solution that is NOT going to throw the check engine light unless the gains are ridiculously higher then HFC and I believe all Test Pipes will throw CEL..

Price:

TP = around 200 or less, but i think it's little more expensive if you have the HR motor.
HFC= around 400~600

CEL : I had a CEL with TP, but not with HFC

For those of you with HFC, which have you found to be the most reliable and NOT throw Check Engine Lights?

I've had ceramic and metallic(now) Ultimate racing High flow cat, both of them no issue.
Here is where i got my HFC from www.z1auto.com

Last, any opinions on HFC & Test Pipes that sound & work great with a Greddy EVO2 Exhaust would greatly appreciated. I do like to have some sort of audible change that gives an aggressive impression but I don't want a solution that will leave my car screaming 10 blocks away sounding like a ricey pos.

Everyone has diff taste..

Thanks for the help.
Hope this help...
Old 04-24-2009, 02:56 AM
djcetra

Deffinately some good help from the both of you so far. I have a 2006 Enthusiast DE motor so hopefully it won't be as expensive.

I checked out the Ultimate Racing HFC's on z1auto.com, I wonder about the 50 state emission safe claim though. In CA would I fail from a visual inspection or is it possible that I may actually have a chance at getting through the test with these? Perhaps it's just more safe to put the stock cats back on for the test and then reapply the HFC. Opinions?

Last edited by djcetra; 04-24-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:19 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Passing emissions test depends on what type of test. Some states just check OBDII. Other states may do a visual inspection on a lift. How about checking the the state about requires before making a decision.

Last edited by davidv; 04-24-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:23 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Deffinately some good help from the both of you so far. I have a 2006 Enthusiast DE motor so hopefully it won't be as expensive.

I checked out the Ultimate Racing HFC's on z1auto.com, I wonder about the 50 state emission safe claim though. In CA would I fail from a visual inspection or is it possible that I may actually have a chance at getting through the test with these? Perhaps it's just more safe to put the stock cats back on for the test and then reapply the HFC. Opinions?
Some after market high flow catalytic converters look like the OEM converters. Besides if you do fail emissions what happens? Do you get 90 days to fix the car?
Old 04-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

They do have ceramic one looks like OEM. Most metallic HFCs has no heat shield, that is why looks little diff.

I'm pretty sure you should be fine with ceramic ones.

Edit: you can use a search botton and put " emission " in ' intake & Exhaust' or you can also try G35driver, they have a many good info.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:10 PM
michaelmyers

Is there some elim for the check engine light if I use test pipes? Thanks
Old 11-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Lee R