Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

08 HFC CEL Fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Junkster

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 08 HFC CEL Fix

I just bought a Z with Stillen v2 headers and Stillen HFC's and I am getting the CEL.

I have been searching and reading on some threads that o2 simulators will NOT fix this on the HR's? Is this true?

I have also read that Using the defowler and brillo pad method doesnt work either...

Basically i have narrowed it down to a reflash, wich i do not want to do anytime soon. The car did not come with the OEM cats so i cant just swap them out, i am kind of wanting to make sure i exhausted all my options.

I found this:
http://www.*********.com/zwiki/Makin..._O2_simulators

But does it work 100% on HR's? I seem to get the idea from my searching that im kinda just screwed until i get a reflash/tune or find some cheap OEM cats to put back on...

Im sorry im just kind of sick of reading the same information for older NON HR Z's that have found "fixes" to their CEL problems. So any HR owners out there with feedback PLEASE chime in
Old 10-21-2010, 01:50 PM
TheFarmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Junkster
I just bought a Z with Stillen v2 headers and Stillen HFC's and I am getting the CEL.
How did it pass smog for change of ownership?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:56 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Moved...
Old 10-21-2010, 02:20 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

High flow catalytic converters are designed to work similar to OEM. I suspect that the problem is not the HFC. Have the code read. What is the code?
Old 10-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Rubidium

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had stillen HFC's and tried the Non-fouler trick and it kind of worked, didn't get a CEL but still felt like it needed a tune. When I didn't do the non-fouler trick it did throw a CEL
Old 10-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Kuhan

+1 on getting a scan and see what the code is. Don't go to the dealership, just go to a local auto store.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Junkster

I did get it scanned, it is for the cat (0402 or whatever it is).

I bought it from a ford dealership 2 hours or so from my home, and the cel popped up when I got home haha...I knew the car had a catback but they didn't tell me anything about the hfc's or the stollen headers either...

I even paid for basic waranty through Nissan through them covers a bit more than just the drivetrain.

However I don't have the stock cats! I was under the impression that if you buy a new car like this you don't have to smog in Cali for like 6 years or something...if I have to smog I'm Gina be pissed...if not I'll just prepare to find some used cats for free that I'll buy as spares till I have to get it smoged in a few years...
Old 10-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Junkster

P0420 Is the code I'm sorry not 0402 haha
Old 10-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Junkster

Originally Posted by Rubidium
I had stillen HFC's and tried the Non-fouler trick and it kind of worked, didn't get a CEL but still felt like it needed a tune. When I didn't do the non-fouler trick it did throw a CEL
How can it "kind of work"? It either throws a cel or not haha...I heard the cel eventually comes on no matter what u do..is this wha. U mean by kinda?

Sorry for post whoring I'm on my iPhone lol...
Old 10-21-2010, 04:31 PM
kramykram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the brillo pad works perfect. i do not know where you read that @ but you need to learn to read. it will over time rust and then you just need to redo it. i ran mine for a year and half with no problems so you might wanna try it before you bump your gums about bull s h it.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:44 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Surprised that the catalytic converters are not operating properly. Try some adapters like these: http://www.bonanza.com/booths/jdmsty..._G35_Sentra_TC
Old 10-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Junkster

Originally Posted by kramykram
the brillo pad works perfect. i do not know where you read that @ but you need to learn to read. it will over time rust and then you just need to redo it. i ran mine for a year and half with no problems so you might wanna try it before you bump your gums about bull s h it.
wow man some harsh words. Thanks for the input tho, I guess...

I will be more than happy to post links the threads on this forum from quite a few people that have had that method not work before...it may delay it but I have read that it can come up shortly for some after a thousand miles or so...This of course only seems to apply for hr's tho...maybe it might help if you posted the year of your z...

I'm on my phone so Im not about to go on some random searching spree to prove my point. I know what I read or else I wouldn't have made a thread about it...

Last edited by Junkster; 10-21-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:58 PM
kramykram

lol not harsh i have quit a big thread where i explained how to do this with the non foulers. cept i accidentally killed the photos. guess I need to do another write up. on this process and have it stickied in the hr section. If people did it the way i explained it would of lasted more than a couple thousand miles.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Junkster

lol not harsh i have quit a big thread where i explained how to do this with the non foulers. cept i accidentally killed the photos. guess I need to do another write up. on this process and have it stickied in the hr section. If people did it the way i explained it would of lasted more than a couple thousand miles.
Can't member if it was your thread, but I do know of the two fowlers with drilling one out (per side) then stuffing that with Brillo...is that what your talking about?
Old 10-21-2010, 05:45 PM
kramykram

yes but you have to do it a specific way. you need to pack it tight in the hole. about 1/4 of an inch where you can barely blow throw it. then light stuff it where when you tightin the o2 sensor it will push the lightly stuffed brillow down a little bit more to hold it all in place. worked like a charm for me and for a very long time.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Kuhan

The mechanic did just a nonfouler for my Berk HFCs. He said not to use stainless steel wool since it can get too hot and damage the o2 sensor tip. I have about 200 miles without cel so far.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Junkster

yes but you have to do it a specific way. you need to pack it tight in the hole. about 1/4 of an inch where you can barely blow throw it. then light stuff it where when you tightin the o2 sensor it will push the lightly stuffed brillow down a little bit more to hold it all in place. worked like a charm for me and for a very long time.
Good to know...could be cool if you could get ur pics back up I'll try to di up your thread at home tonight.
Originally Posted by Kuhan
The mechanic did just a nonfouler for my Berk HFCs. He said not to use stainless steel wool since it can get too hot and damage the o2 sensor tip. I have about 200 miles without cel so far.
I was gona just try this and c where I get with it..hopefully it's enough...I guess it's just hit or miss...but I'm not 100% sure...
Old 10-27-2010, 07:32 AM
350zlee

Recently I changed my HFC........light pop up........I add 2 non foulers each side, 2 new 02 sensors, stuff with stainless steel wools and no gas leak, stupid light came up again after 100km. P0420 and P0430........anyone know how to fix it? I will try to to stuff more brillo pad tonight to shut the hole fo the non-douler plug.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:32 AM
kramykram

i was actually working on making a peice into the non foulers that would fix this. I guess i will go back with what i was doing and send it to berk. i just need to purchase another set of high flow cats or test pipes so that i can test it. i have a pretty good idea just from blowing thru them on how much air needs to be cut out.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:16 AM
Junkster

i was actually working on making a peice into the non foulers that would fix this. I guess i will go back with what i was doing and send it to berk. i just need to purchase another set of high flow cats or test pipes so that i can test it. i have a pretty good idea just from blowing thru them on how much air needs to be cut out.
That would be legit!

How much would you charge to just make some sets with the brillo pad? I have 4 defoulers already. Since your already more in the know with what you have to do as far as packing-them-wise would be nice to just have to do it once rather than R&R it till it works.

Quick Reply: 08 HFC CEL Fix