Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Stillen Headers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 08:27 PM
daking350
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ElvishasaZ
Is this really a dynojet? Wow those are really optimistic baseline HP #'s for many on this board those (baseline numbers) are not even attained WITH MODS..what gives..obviously a gain is a gain but .....................................
Thats what I was thinking..256WHP seems a bit higher than normal..Especially considering that Stillen is in California, home of 91 octain gas I call bullzhit!!!

Hey Alex send me a pair of headers to NJ and I will test the true gains on a Dyno Jet with 93 octain..I think an independant test would be fair, seeing ho I have NEVER seen a stock Z dyno @256whp!!
Old 12-29-2003, 08:33 PM
ElvishasaZ

Originally posted by daking350
Thats what I was thinking..256WHP seems a bit higher than normal.... I have NEVER seen a stock Z dyno @256whp!!
Really I second that!
If its truly stock and thats the numbers being non ambitous then you have a car thats putting out alot more than 287 @ the crank given typical 17-18% drivetrain losses.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:43 PM
daking350
Banned

Some body Que the flag....
Old 12-29-2003, 08:54 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ElvishasaZ
Is this really a dynojet? Wow those are really optimistic baseline HP #'s for many on this board those (baseline numbers) are not even attained WITH MODS..what gives..obviously a gain is a gain but .....................................
Heh. 256 rwhp / .82 drivetrainloss = 312 crank hp. That's 25 hp more than the 287 Nissan claims. The STILLEN stock Z has more hp than my Z that has testpipes, intake and exhaust. Must be nice to find the amazing pick of the litter.

I'm so sick of manufacturers claiming ridiculous amounts of power from their products. This one just goofed by posting a nonsensical dyno. Independent dynos are the bottom line.

There is 29 days left on my bet if anyone cares to indulge.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:04 PM
hfm

Oops, make that 28 days. LOL.

Oh, and note that the dyno, for whatever the heck it's worth, showed a 9 hp gain, not 11 hp as originally claimed. Not sure what STILLEN is claiming now. Is it 9 or is it 11? Whatever.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:04 PM
daking350
Banned

I think all companies that belong to SEMA should be REQUIRED to submit to INDEPENDENT testing before stating performance gains to the consumers..But I guess they would find a way to corrupt that too..
I would have more respect for a company that said YEAH our product only made 5hp over stock...And I am sure these headers will be twice the price of BORLA's.....***sigh*** Gotta love the folks in the AFTERMARKET GAME...
Old 12-29-2003, 09:52 PM
Xeinth

Hfm, A few things:

First, the graph does show 11HP, just not at peak power.

Second, not many Z's even have 287 at the crank. Most are in the 270 range with 13% loss.

We'll find out soon enough whether they make anything or not. But even if they do half of what they claim, it will be better than anyone else. Borla = a big fat 0, and Crawford shows about 8HP peak WITH the test pipes.

X
Old 12-29-2003, 10:07 PM
ElvishasaZ

Red face

speak up mister stillen sales man..before you lose some credibility..how can you account for such ambitious HP#'s ?
While your at it put yourself in the Top Ten NA Z's from this board compilation of users. Because last time I checked 265ish would put you like in 5th maybe 6th and with one mod no less!!!! Imagine what you could do with mods...

Look everyone wants to have huge gains and easy and economical ones but lets not insult the consumer either..so come clean or calibrate your dyno.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:12 PM
daytona350z

Originally posted by hfm
I will bet...$100.00 that these headers do not produce 11 hp.

Take a stock Z, do a dyno. Install the headers, same day and do a dyno jet. If the headers produce 11 hp after 2 dyno runs, I will pay the $100.00. If it doesn't, whoever takes the bet pays me $100.00. This challenge is good for 30 days and for up to two challengers.

[edit] Dyno runs at an independent shop and observed by myself and anyone else who cares to watch.
hehe, nice offer! too bad my dynos are gonna be on different days...
Old 12-29-2003, 10:13 PM
Xeinth

I dont want to be his defender, but sheesh, lighten up. We wont know for sure until someone independently dyno's, but until then we only have one source for info. Lets not chase these guys off EVERY time.

Yes, the baseline is high, but I think that if they were wanting to totally fake us out, they would have picked a 'believeable' baseline.

Are we sure this is a Dynojet?

X
Old 12-29-2003, 10:17 PM
hfm

Originally posted by Xeinth
Hfm, A few things:

Second, not many Z's even have 287 at the crank. Most are in the 270 range with 13% loss.

X
Really? I just compared max hp gains and did not really look at the graph for a 11 hp gain somewhere within the powerband. Maybe I'll look at it again later but for now, if you see 11 somewhere, that will work. And, I know about your second point. BJ commented about the same thing after testing three engines. That just further supports the fact that there is something wrong when the stock baseline is so far off from what is known. Actually, come to think of it, I didn't know about the 13% figure. Thanks for catching any error I may have made.

As for it being a dynojet, my recollection is that they use a SAE corrected dynojet.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:28 PM
Xeinth

Hfm,

Ya, the most torque gain is at about 3800RPM. I eyeballed 10-12HP there. If you go look at the torque graph, it shows about 9 peak gain, but they have a marker at 3800RPM with exactly a 15.5TQ gain.

In fact, doing the math we can calculate the expected HP gain at 15.5 * 3800/5252 = 11.2HP. So the math checks out.

I also checked his posts, he makes no mention of the type of dyno anywhere that I can see....

As far as the 13% figure, that came from BJ. I am going with him on that one...

X
Old 12-29-2003, 10:28 PM
hfm

Originally posted by daytona350z
hehe, nice offer! too bad my dynos are gonna be on different days...
Heh.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:22 PM
joeddmd

Guys, I dont thing you all understand the importance of equal lenght headers. It is all about equal length. If it isn't then all you getting is a little reduction in back pressure worth maby one or two hp. That's why no one is getting good numbers with borla's design. Look at the length of the exhaust compaired to the length of the header. The header is like maby 10% of the exhaust system length, so looking back to simple physics, almost all your back pressure problem comes from the longer catback portion and the restrictive cats. So unless you want to pay whatever it is for borla, say 400 and then about 400 for labor to drop back pressure on about 10% percent of your exhaust system you need equal length headers. Just for any one that doesn't know. In a V6 each cylinder pumps out its exhaust one at a time. So if the headers are the same length to the collecting pipe then each exhaust pulse of pressure from each cylinder will take turns running down the exhaust system, actually reducing the peak back pressure even past the cats. What borla gets is say cylinder A has a long path like the front cylinders. and C is one of the back cylinders with a short path. If A fires then C both pulses of pressure meet and pressure isn't doubled, it is cubed. so give stillen a chance, I think you'll see their numbers are right on, BTW, I picked up a healthy 14 rwhp with just my stillen exhaust according to a dynojet, oh and about their high hp number, dyno's are about worthless for compairason between brands, as long as ya run a base line, that's good science, and not talk
Old 12-29-2003, 11:29 PM
StrictlyZ

Talking

HFM,

Any chance your going to swing by Nor Cal anytime soon? I'm curious to do a dyno test as well, just we're up here in nor cal.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:55 AM
lotus

You guys should back off of the Stillen guys really. Their exhaust puts down some of the best gains of any system avail and there SC has been proven to be solid. Given their track record with the Z so far I would say they are doing a pretty good job. I have seen alot of people on this forum put there foot in there mouth because they think they know how products are going to perform before they ever get released. If you dont like the numbers they post then wait until you see some figures from others before you rip into these guys.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:53 AM
03 Z for ME

Originally posted by daking350
Thats what I was thinking..256WHP seems a bit higher than normal..Especially considering that Stillen is in California, home of 91 octain gas I call bullzhit!!!

Hey Alex send me a pair of headers to NJ and I will test the true gains on a Dyno Jet with 93 octain..I think an independant test would be fair, seeing ho I have NEVER seen a stock Z dyno @256whp!!
Maybe not 256, but read my signature. Those numbers were bone stock. I still have not re-dynoed after the listed mods. Maybe one winter day when the sun comes out I'll get back to the Dyno...
Old 12-30-2003, 05:42 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by Xeinth
Hfm, A few things:

We'll find out soon enough whether they make anything or not. But even if they do half of what they claim, it will be better than anyone else. Borla = a big fat 0, and Crawford shows about 8HP peak WITH the test pipes.

X
Lets get some facts straight. I saw approx 12 hp more at peak with just my headers and cats addition (yes I have other mods but this was the only change between dyno runs). And Crawford cats are hi-flow cats and not test pipes. Test pipes have the greatest flow, hi-flow cats have better flow.

I have no reason to believe that Stillen is out of line with their claims. Comparing the primary tube length compared to ours those figures sound about right . . . a little high but no one is going to argue over a couple pony’s. If is correction factor is not set then that might explain the high baseline, but he is comparing two runs anyway so it really does not matter

HP and TQ are not just peak numbers. Any vendor can quote HP gain at any place(s) in the graph. That’s exactly what Doug does too, however he tells the whole story not just talking peak numbers and focusing on one number.

My hats off to Stillen for showing the entire graph and how they exactly got their numbers! Now someone buy these things and see if you can pry the $100 from HFM’s hands . . . sorry buddy you left yourself open for that one! StrictlyZ, was that a challenge to HFM? It kind of sounded like one. :P
Old 12-30-2003, 06:58 AM
zparts

I find it funny that the forum complains about companies not showing dynos, but when they do the forum complains about it.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:02 AM
2FST4U

Default Nissan Supplied the Car

Goodmorning Board - looks like there has been a lot of discussion about the Headers.

The Gold Track Z was a stock loaner car. So, the numbers are what they are. However - THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.....READ ON.

The multiple baseline runs will be posted today. I had originally planned to post them last night - which would have cut down the amount of discussion about the baseline. You will all find that there are higher and lower numbers. Some are much lower. We'll get those up as soon as we can scan them.

Hope this helps you all with your thoughts.

We (of course) welcome any independent testing. Not to do so would be silly. We have an internal policy of posting numbers that are repeatable. In that regard, we will typically post the mid (or average) number rather than using the highest [or lowest] numbers that resulted. The independent testing, such as with the Sport Z exhaust shoot out, are great ways for us to independently show what the gains are. Many people have actually seen higher gains with our True Dual Stainless Steel Catback Exhaust than we claim - but we stick to our average repeatable numbers because those are the numbers we can repeat time and again.

Victor (Mike Wazowski) - we don't have a set of Nismo Headers to run on the dyno. It is a good idea though.

Thanks for the inquiries.

Quick Reply: Stillen Headers!!!