Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

PPE Longtube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

touge isnt affiliated with ppe so i dont see why it even matters. ddskyline already has done the testing.

bottom line 3" single exhaust is fine for n/a, that's already been confirmed. even if there is a big *** muffler at the back end.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:40 AM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not doubting the question they make power, but I want to know as im sure other prospective buyers do just how much and in particular to each different set up..

I'm an N/A guy and eventually want to build my engine. These would probably be a good compliment.. I've always worried that the set-up would be too loud with the addition of headers..

Last edited by rich2342; 06-16-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:20 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

tuning/tuner is the kicker for getting/using this piece...
Old 06-16-2012, 01:30 PM
denchan350gt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rich2342
I'm not doubting the question they make power, but I want to know as im sure other prospective buyers do just how much and in particular to each different set up..

I'm an N/A guy and eventually want to build my engine. These would probably be a good compliment.. I've always worried that the set-up would be too loud with the addition of headers..
Actually it didn't get much louder I'll post vids before and after using the same exhaust.

I think the stock HR dyno with just exhaust will give you the best idea. Usually you do not need a retune after a exhaust, but headers you will.

I needed a retune just switching to the non stepped from the stepped my AF was different.

If you think about it everyone wanted SG headers and they were only on their shop cars. Price is what turned most away.

Now you have a set of headers that makes similar gains for half the price and there still are questions for some reason.

All tests were on non PPE cars with different mods and engines what more do you want?

My tests were on a cammed DE just like SG they had nismo cams on their DE that made over 300hp with other intake mods.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:58 PM
jarrodh77

I think the problem most people have is they never tested on a DE with stock cams, while SG did. That is probably the biggest market at the moment, and it's the most debatable on how much benefit there is from headers. I have no doubt they'll make gains, but it would be nice to know for sure how much better they are than quality shorty headers + test pipes.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:24 PM
juicinjake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jarrodh77
I think the problem most people have is they never tested on a DE with stock cams, while SG did. That is probably the biggest market at the moment, and it's the most debatable on how much benefit there is from headers. I have no doubt they'll make gains, but it would be nice to know for sure how much better they are than quality shorty headers + test pipes.
fair enough jarrod, ill go with that. i cant argue with "the doubter" when his restraint is based on sensibility. i think i can perhaps expand that logic a bit to cover two realistic situations... 1) you have stock headers/cats or stock headers and hfc/tp's, 2) you have expensive aftermarket shorty headers and tp's or hfc's. for customer 1, its no big deal to sell some tp/hfc's on the forums and upgrade. you arent going to be out a lot of cash and you will actually get better gains from the ppe if you were considering shorties. if he wants performance, he is going to upgrade from the stock manifold/cat combo at some point, this purchase is a no brainer...... customer 2 has a harder decision to make... as the gains of these headers over his existing combo on stock cams might not be worth it to him, particularly if his decision is budget driven. if customer 2 has money and particularly is considering cams... well then the ppe's begin to have even more appeal. jarrod - is your situation more comparable to guy 1 or 2?
Old 06-16-2012, 05:00 PM
denchan350gt

The test SG did the results were no better than adding headers and test pipes on a stock cam DE. Even SG said cams were the issue on the G35 they tested and it had a 3in exhaust.

Personally if you don't plan to ever upgrade your cams in a DE I would just get a set of shortys and TPS.

Rev up and HR guys you need to upgrade nothing, but get a tune afterwards.

I got the LTH to get the most out of it NA since I have cams in my DE and may go SC.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:32 PM
jarrodh77

juicinjake - I would be customer 1 in your scenario, as I have test pipes currently and have been keeping an eye out for a good set of shorty headers. I would only buy a quality set with true merge collectors like Crawford, Tomei, Momentum, or maybe Nismo R-tune. However, at the $900 GB price the PPEs are roughly the same price as a quality set of shorties + test pipes, which is why I decided to get in on it. If they are at least equal to the best shorty + tp combo, then I'll be satisfied. If they're better, then that's just bonus since I haven't paid any extra.

I'll be getting an Uprev dyno tune at Z1 once the PPEs are installed. If I decide to have them installed there too, I'll try to get a baseline dyno beforehand. Not the ideal comparison since I have OEM manifolds, but it's something.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:47 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I have tomei's....

I want to say they picked up 5-6whp over stock headers on my BSP car. My car is very loud, though....near the DSQ limit of SCCA sound regs (100db).
Old 06-17-2012, 12:26 AM
CLyons0203

i got some gains installing stock 370z headers. how much dont know since i havent dynoed the car, but i can tell the entire power band is better.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:26 AM
CLyons0203

$900 is a good price
Old 06-17-2012, 12:45 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Great price
Old 06-17-2012, 01:51 AM
juicinjake

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I have tomei's....

I want to say they picked up 5-6whp over stock headers on my BSP car. My car is very loud, though....near the DSQ limit of SCCA sound regs (100db).
and that was 5-6 up top im guessing, if those headers gain where most of the other shorties i have seen gain. you really get a advantage in terms of scavenging when you move to a longtube with a properly designed merge collector... this one is even a reducer design, which i believe acts to increase exhaust velocity. i think there is also something in regard to tuned runner lengths and ideal step locations that you can have with the longtubes that further increase performance within a given range. im an EE, not an ME, so dont quote me verbatim on all this, but what i said is what i have taken out of reading various threads and literature on headers over the years in regards to the 12 cars and 4 different makes of vehicles i have owned (chevy, ford, honda, infiniti)... you fall into catagory two of my above post... its much harder for you to justify this purchase than it is someone that doesnt have any mods between the heads and catback
Old 06-17-2012, 06:54 AM
denchan350gt

Originally Posted by jarrodh77
juicinjake - I would be customer 1 in your scenario, as I have test pipes currently and have been keeping an eye out for a good set of shorty headers. I would only buy a quality set with true merge collectors like Crawford, Tomei, Momentum, or maybe Nismo R-tune. However, at the $900 GB price the PPEs are roughly the same price as a quality set of shorties + test pipes, which is why I decided to get in on it. If they are at least equal to the best shorty + tp combo, then I'll be satisfied. If they're better, then that's just bonus since I haven't paid any extra.

I'll be getting an Uprev dyno tune at Z1 once the PPEs are installed. If I decide to have them installed there too, I'll try to get a baseline dyno beforehand. Not the ideal comparison since I have OEM manifolds, but it's something.
they should be equal if not more over shorty/tps.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:28 AM
AgentZ33

so the consensus are these long tube headers are equal to or better than motordyne art pipes and shockwave td v2?
Old 06-17-2012, 07:57 AM
denchan350gt

Originally Posted by AgentZ33
so the consensus are these long tube headers are equal to or better than motordyne art pipes and shockwave td v2?
no ART pipes with aftermarket headers.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:17 AM
mgrotel

f it, add me to the list, what do i need to include in the pm again?
Old 06-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Phillip Stone

Im in for a set of these it isnt too late to get on the group buy is it ?
Old 06-17-2012, 10:58 AM
RurouniMidnight

These will definitely make your car sound cool and a much cleaner exhaust tone, if anything I'd buy them for that
Old 06-17-2012, 01:02 PM
juicinjake

Originally Posted by mgrotel
f it, add me to the list, what do i need to include in the pm again?

Originally Posted by Phillip Stone
Im in for a set of these it isnt too late to get on the group buy is it ?
1.juicinjake-*

2.terrasmak-*

3.KingBaby-*

4.Massios

5.g35pillow-*

6.cyc5181

7.TheSyn3rgist

8.insaneIan35th-*

9. VoBoy-*

10. doshoru-*

11. Customer-Payed

12. mgrotel

13. Phillip Stone

i added you guys to the list. everything you guys asked is covered below. do the following...

Originally Posted by Tougelabs
OK I have a customer that just payed so that makes ten, You guys have till the end of the week to sign up for this and get the ball rolling ! This includes all vq motors just make a note upon paypal payment ! And PM Me as well with a zipcode so I can send you back a total price.
(PS mgrotel... we need to start sharing info on our respective nitrous setups!!!)

Quick Reply: PPE Longtube Headers