Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

PPE Longtube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 01:43 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
Seriously. So tired of the rasp complaining. Every non american powerful car has rasp. It's not even a bad sound to me depending on the car. Avg honda fart can or ebay crap exhaust is terrible. But every beemer, maserati, and benz etc Ive heard had a raspy note. I call it character.

Anyway, passanger side is off. Question for the HR guys on the driver side, should I just disconnect the coolant lines on the driver side? They are just right in the way from what I see.

Why does the hardware kit have you remove the stock studs and nuts? Is it a pain getting the headers over the stock studs?

I didnt buy the hardware kit but I'm suprised the headers without the hardware kit didn't come with the extended wires. Their pretty much required.
+1,000,000. Amazing. Like the rasp is indicative of quality or something. It's as though people were buying these only for sound.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:21 AM
juicinjake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously. So tired of the rasp complaining.
ALL that rasp complaining huh? other than bmurray on the last page i am the only one that even had anything to say about the rasp starting from page 32 when i first got them on. i dunno, maybe you mean on the forum in general? i went back and even read through everything since i posted and didnt find all this complaining you speak of. did a bunch of people come in here and start hating and their posts get deleted? did i miss something? as far as rasp goes, its not like there is any gold standard on how much rasp is too much, or how much sounds good or bad, or how much makes you a man and qualifies your ***** to be in the above average catagory or anything like that. its all a matter of personal opinion... and that is specifically what everyone has been asking for: personal opinions. were they easy to install? were they a biatch? how is the qaulity? do you like them? dynos? videos? ive got nearly three grand in this exhaust so if there is something i dont like about it and people ask me, im gonna tell them. i know other people who have installed these and had the same annoying decel metallic rasp and air sucking back in the tips noise that i heard and didnt like. its not like my car is an isolated case. i think its important to talk about this stuff and hash it out. thats the whole point of a forum isnt it? maybe its just a dual exhaust thing and the guys with the singles arent hearing it. maybe they are hearing it and they dont care. either way, if i go install some extra resonators and that noise i dont like goes away and it still soungs like a vq with longtubes minus that silly noise, then isnt that a good, helpful experiment? shouldnt it become common knowledge that hey, these headers are awesome but they tend to get raspy...and... adding a pair of resonators is a good, cheap, proven fix for it. jiggy i have respect for you and everyone else in here that bought these headers. we are all in the same boat. we wanna go fast. thats why we got them. no one bought these bc they thought it would make their car sound cooler. all im sayin is dont discourage people from expressing what they dont like about the sound, especially if there isnt a lot of it going on (and there isnt). someone might just find a solution to the metallic decel rasp. then, maybe, you could have this faster car with good, quality parts that sounds good too. i really dont think its too much to ask for. that said, i totally get your point too. these are quality pieces and proven performers and no one should fool themself when they buy these that the car is gonna do anything other than sound racey after install. thats the truth. if you look back at the posts i wrote, i wasnt too crazy about the sound at first, but i was coming from a tdx2 with stock cats (it sounded clean and refined). now, its loud and racey., ive gotten used to it and i love the way it sounds 98% of the time. im 100% glad i bought them and would recommend them to anyone that was serious about performance first and foremost.

my real concern now is that i, and other people i know (who had their headers installed at professional shops), did something wrong on install to cause the header flanges to not line up with the xyz pipe. terrasmak's do line up. the only thing i can think to do is pull the coolant line, take all the bolts out, replace the header flange gasket, replace the collector gasket, snug up the collector bolts first and then tighten the header bolts down. after installing headers on 15 different cars, i must say, ive never had to do that before. but if it is really possible that they are cocked by a few degrees and cause this misalignment and consequent collector leak issue then by god, ill give it a try.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:59 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Honestly TLR I wasn't referring to just this topic. I meant the whole my350z community, wasn't singling anyone out. Be easy killah.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:04 AM
0jiggy0

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Mine was almost perfect with the xyz pipe

The very back bolts were done from the underside with a normal wrench
Thx for the tip, like you said I've done almost everything from the top on the passanger side at least.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:35 AM
0jiggy0

I just realised I think my headers are wrong sigh.

I'm pretty sure he said he was sending me non-stepped with reducers when i told him it was a weekend car, not track car. Non-stepped with reducer is the version thats better for midrange correct? Stepped without reducer for top end? At least the driverside isnt in yet...

Edit just took more pics of the collector:

Attached Thumbnails PPE Longtube Headers-ppe.jpg   PPE Longtube Headers-ppe1.jpg  

Last edited by 0jiggy0; 10-21-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:39 AM
0jiggy0

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
Ive been trying to buy some Hardware.
M10-1.25 x 25mm are perfect. You must get flanged bolts, hex head bolts will be 17mm heads. Way too big. Allen heads will work too but i couldnt find any the correct size. Home depot or lowes wont have these btw.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:40 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how can you tell if they are stepped? I want to be able to tell, getting ready to order a set and I dont want there to be a mix up
Old 10-21-2012, 06:44 AM
0jiggy0

This shot has the reducer in it. Mine doesn't have that. Luckily I only had the passenger side sitting in place and it was 5 mins to get it out. I also took King's advice and protected then with the supplied bubblewrap during install. Their already boxed up to hopefully be sent out tomorrow...

Name:  582134_3839269818303_1174766211_3601120_30652091_n.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  30.1 KB
Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 AM
kacz07

I believe stepped would have a piping diameter change in the primaries somewhere from the exhaust port to the merge collector as opposed to a single diameter primary. It would be two different sized pipes welded together. Probably within the first 4-6" off the engine.

Last edited by kacz07; 10-21-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:52 AM
kacz07

^if you're talking about stepped primaries, like on the Nismo shorties. The reducer, as Jiggy showed, is after the merge collector.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:53 AM
0jiggy0

Oops I read his post wrong, my bad.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:23 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,315 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Thx for the tip, like you said I've done almost everything from the top on the passanger side at least.
The lower bolt on both 5 and 6 ate the only ones I did from the bottom with the PPE headers. When I removed the DC headers, I removed the back bolts from the top.

It's really an easy install for me, being an aircraft mechanic I specialize in wrech turning I tight places.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:00 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RDZMotorsports
Also everyone that has made a purchase please feel free to find us on fb and leave a review. You can also leave a review on here as well, we are a young company so every little bit helps !

Maybe you post some pics of stepped vs non-stepped, reducer vs no reducer, it seems that no one is real sure and people are getting the wrong headers, I want to make a purchase, but I want to make sure I get the right set and I can tell the difference, thanks

Ok, I think I understand the stepped version now

Name:  022044001_lg1.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  32.2 KB

Last edited by mw9; 10-21-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:59 AM
denchan350gt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terra what did you run? Car sounds good to me.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:31 PM
juicinjake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly TLR I wasn't referring to just this topic. I meant the whole my350z community, wasn't singling anyone out. Be easy killah.
in that case i have to agree with you. at least with the ppe's it wasnt known and was somewhat of an experiment. the guys buying test pipes always act surprised when their cars rasp and there are a ton of threads with people telling you thats exactly what happens.

I just realised I think my headers are wrong sigh.

Originally Posted by denchan350gt
PPE stepped 1 3/4-1 7/8

PPE non stepped 1 3/4 headers

jiggy the steps start right after the bends end. its hard to tell from your picture but i think im seeing the primary size increase at that exact point that it does in denchan's picture. based on that and the collector, they are definitely the wrong ones. that sucks! i hope you dont have to wait as long to get the correct set.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:41 PM
0jiggy0

Actually isn't the step that i'm complaining about. Its the non-reduced merge collector. I spoke to Joe over the phone and, "I want the versions that have the better midrange, because the thread was kind of confusing." Stepped or non Denchan(I Believe?) Showed that no matter what you want the reducer.

Thx for the confirmation.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:58 PM
kacz07

Yeah, reducer brought the midrange back up.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:24 PM
denchan350gt

Here is a couple of vids with the PPE's

Before Gemini with MF resonated x pipe

1st revs is before the MF xpipe on the Gemini

after with 2.5 exhaust unresonated xpipe, 2 12in hushpower mufflers w/IPL muffler

at the track I usually run these times in colder weather before the LTH

after at the track racing a 350hr with open exhaust

http://youtu.be/GlrGT4b_QMs
Old 10-21-2012, 06:50 PM
denchan350gt

This is what I put in my y-pipe to try and get rid off my low end drop on my DE with my old stepped PPE headers before they added the reducer.

These reducers go from 2.5-2in

Name:  photoreducers_zps1c7bc625.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  268.4 KB

dyno after adding reducers no tuning

Name:  photo2afterreducer_zps3b8ec8f3.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  162.3 KB

after a little tuning

Name:  photo1_zps080a3c55.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  158.9 KB

I still have these reducers that my exhaust shop made for me for free.

Debating if I should try them out with my non-stepped LTH. Don't know if going from 2.25-2.5 (small distance)-2.0 back to 2.5 will cause me to lose power.

I might try it at the track in a few weeks.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM
0jiggy0

Well I got in touch with RDZ and Joe says PPE is now saying HR's respond better to not having a reducer at the merge. I tryed to contact PPE about them but it is impossible to get them on the phone. I don't think any HR guys here ordered them non reducer?

I kind of feel like im being ran around. I want a straight answer from someone and the correct part.

Edit: So Paul from PPe just called me back. The original HR headers they designed are as shown on their site stepped and with NO reducer. Actually the DE is the only header they offer with a reducer. The 370, ISF, celica, etc all dont have reducers. He basically attributed it to the way each motor breathes. I may do a test like Denchan did with reducers, but I'll trust PPe's word for now. He sounds like a pretty knowledgeable guy.

KingBaby do yours have a reducer?

Last edited by 0jiggy0; 10-24-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: PPE Longtube Headers