Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

DIY Crawford Header Instructions now online

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 02:28 PM
peptidbond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Crawford Header Instructions now online

Good evening,

As many of you know, Buff and I finished installing his Crawford headers last weekend. During our planning, we decided to give back to the community by writting detailed instructions on the header install for the "do it yourselfers" out there.

With lots of help from Buff, Zzzya, exploder, and Doug at Crawford, we have now finished the install instructions. We could not have completed the install without everyone's help and this is how we are saying thank you.

The link below will take you to a MS Word document on my web server. To the best of my knowledge (tested on my comp), the document is free of viruses and other nasties. If you are interested in downloading the document, feel free. If you only have limited interest, please do not download the document and save me the bandwidth (I have to pay for it afterall).

Finally, the document should be considered in the creative commons. You are free to distribute as much as you like. However, please do not change the content as this version is approved by Doug at Crawford. Finally, if you can host copies of this manual I would appreciate it. I am not sure how long I can keep it on my server. Just download it to your hosting location and post a link below.

Link to install manual for DIY (no lift required):
DIY Crawford Header Install Manual (MS Word)

Oh, one last thing. There are no images in this doc. For images, see the official Crawford manual at the Crawford website (under the support section).

Take care y'all

Last edited by peptidbond; 03-11-2004 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:32 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks Good!
Old 03-11-2004, 02:43 PM
peptidbond

Oh, forgot to mention that I just purchased my set of headers. I will be installing them in a couple weeks.

I have to apologise to Crawford for not buying them new from them. I got a good deal on a set of used ones. So, sorry. However, hopefully the instructions will make up for it a little bit.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:06 PM
350ed
Professional

Mirrored: http://home.comcast.net/~350ed/350Z_...r_Install4.doc

I wish you took pictures though
Old 03-12-2004, 05:39 AM
Buff

Originally posted by 350ed
Mirrored: http://home.comcast.net/~350ed/350Z_...r_Install4.doc

I wish you took pictures though

Pics are comming, will be applying the pics from the current Crawford Install to this one, to try & clear things up even more.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:45 AM
Duflacci

I have heard the hassle of installing the headers is not worth the gain of power acheived......whats your opinion?
Old 03-12-2004, 09:10 AM
Buff

IMHO it all depends on the headers. I can tell you that I can definately feel the gain with the Crawford Headers. It's been said that the Borla Headers don't make much gain, but I don't have any experiance with them so I can't tell you if that's true.

The install of headers can be a bit of a pain, but it won't be nearly as bad if you follow the instructions that we put together.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:25 PM
zzzya

Installing Crawford Headers will make one hell of a difference in HP and TQ, but the key is to have all of the right mods in place to really make everything work together. If you plan to stay N/A and install cams at some point then the Crawford headers really seem to be the best route for headers. I truly believe that a good set of headers is a great mod, almost a necessity to get great gains with cams, and fairly cost effective if you can do the install yourself. The labor cost can be a killer though. I definitely plan to do some cams soon, but I am hoping for a better ECU option so I do not have to worry about sending my ECU out to Technosquare multiple times to get it right.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:26 PM
VandyZ

Originally posted by Duflacci
I have heard the hassle of installing the headers is not worth the gain of power acheived......whats your opinion?
They are tough to put in .... but....

I still can't figure out why Chris (PhoenixINX) prefers to drive my car all the time.

... I wish he would hurry up and put in his headers...
Old 03-13-2004, 06:11 AM
Buff

And to think - he's got Doug right there to give him advice!!!
Not only that, but Doug already told me a couple of stories about Chris & his wanting headers!
Now that we put this manual together there's no reason for Chris to not put them on.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:03 AM
PhoenixINX

Don't under-estimate my sneakiness...
Old 03-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Redfoot

Just got done ripping everything out, by myself. What a pain in the ***. I have a few corrections to your instructions, nothing big just some socket sizes were off. I'll post them tomarrow. The one big time waster was getting the front bottom nut off the passenger side manifold, I think I tried to get to it for at least an hour. I ended taking off the alternator to get to it, but thats okay since I have a shiney red UR pulley to replace the original.

Again, Thanks for the instructions.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Redfoot

Some Corrections & suggestions

Prep # 6. pulling the hose attached to the botton of the oil filter assembly might help get that little bit of antifreeze that wants to run all over the A/C unit.

Disassembly #8-b . 14 & 12mm, 8-d flexible tubing looks like wire loom it's on the bottom hose covering the 90degree bend already has cut in it just slip it off, #11 10mm, 12 10mm, 23 17mm.

28 the drivers side is breeze compared the passenger side.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:55 AM
zzzya

Originally posted by Redfoot
Some Corrections & suggestions
the drivers side is breeze compared the passenger side.
Not on the 5AT cars!! Driver's side is way more difficult. Almost had me in tears as I was working by myself and wasn't sure I was actually going to get it in there.