Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

RSR exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 12:37 PM
Dissolved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSR exhaust

Who has this? I heard it at the ECZA meet and loved the sound. But what kind of gains are there? Any dyno sheets out there or before and after performance numbers?
Old 04-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Z YA LTR

Default Re: RSR exhaust

Originally posted by Dissolved
Who has this? I heard it at the ECZA meet and loved the sound. But what kind of gains are there? Any dyno sheets out there or before and after performance numbers?
I got it. Heres a dyno

--Josh
Old 04-26-2004, 06:39 AM
jng1226

Here is a thread with an alternative to the RS*R exhaust if you want that AWESOME sound: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=70841
Old 04-26-2004, 11:03 AM
D@ActiveTuning

I heard at the ECZA meet too, I was really impressed by the sound. Everybody was complaining about how loud it was, but in person, it's not as bad as I thought...and that was without the silencers. I'm considering the exhaust at this point.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:58 AM
Dubby

yea I was there at the meet too and loved the sound...its the best exhaust sound that I've heard for the 350z...the only thing D@active tuning, did you think the the canisters were sticking out too far from the car?
Old 04-27-2004, 05:18 AM
Dissolved

I'd like to see some before and after performance numbers. Like Gtech runs etc. Anyone?
Old 04-27-2004, 08:03 AM
D@ActiveTuning

Originally posted by Dubby
yea I was there at the meet too and loved the sound...its the best exhaust sound that I've heard for the 350z...the only thing D@active tuning, did you think the the canisters were sticking out too far from the car?
I actually thought it wasn't too bad. It looked a lot better in person than I thought...but the cost is what kills it for me. It's already about $900, and that doesn't include a y-pipe. So you're looking around another $500 for a y-pipe...and all the sudden it's a $1,400 exhaust system.

That's why I'm still considering Greddy evo2, because includes both for about $1,000. Plus it's polished all the way through and true dual.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:36 AM
Dissolved

I thought it just bolts right on. I read you didnt need to buy the y-pipe
Old 04-27-2004, 08:46 AM
jng1226

I thought it just bolts right on. I read you didnt need to buy the y-pipe
It is indeed a bolt-on, but the common thought is that the stock Y-pipe is one of the most restrictive parts of the stock exhaust. Therefore, to get the maximum gains of changing the exhaust, the Y-pipe needs to be replaced.

The link in the thread I posted above is regarding the Topspeed Pro-1, a domestic copy of the RS*R Exmag GT2. It also doesn't come with a replacement Y-pipe, and I bought the 3" version in anticipation of some FI down the road. In my back-to-back dyno runs, I gained a minimum of 8 rwhp and a maximum of 12 rwhp with this and no other mods. I'm not sure what I would gain by adding an aftermarket Y-pipe, but that will probably come after time as well. Compare the sound you heard with these videos of the Pro-1:http://home.nc.rr.com/jeffspics/PRO-1_Vids/
Old 04-27-2004, 08:49 AM
D@ActiveTuning

^^^^ Exactly! The top speed does sound louder, BUT, the RSR sounded louder on video than it did in person I think.

The top speed is another I am considering. My biggest turnoff on the Greddy is the huge cans....If the cans were just smaller I'd be all over it.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:05 AM
Dissolved

Thanks for all the info guys. But is there anywhere that specifically states what kind of gains we can expect with RSR exhaust using the stock Y?
Thanks
Old 04-27-2004, 09:26 AM
jng1226

Thanks for all the info guys. But is there anywhere that specifically states what kind of gains we can expect with RSR exhaust using the stock Y?
Thanks
The search is working again, and you can look for RS*R and a guy with a screen name Koji (or something very close to that). I believe he is the USA importer for RS*R and has posted pictures and dynos of the RS*R Exmag GT2 before. His dynos showed something like 15 hp gain.

But I am a bit skeptical because if I took my lowest baseline run (stock) with my highest Pro-1 run (no other mods) I could claim a 17 rwhp gain. I only go by averages.

All-in-all, it seems to me that ANY 350Z exhaust out there will net you a maximum of maybe 12 rwhp on average, with the average of all of them being in the 8-10 range. There are those who have simply kept the stock exhaust section and changed to an aftermarket Y-pipe and Mid-pipe and acheived the EXACT SAME GAINS. The Performance Nissan guys were informed by someone from Nismo that the Y-pipe in their exhaust was responsible for most (if not all) the gains in the Nismo exhaust. Peak also is not as important as overal gains under the curve.

There simply is not that much to be gained by exhausts alone in this car. From all the research I did before buying on this board, these are the most restrictive parts of the car, more or less in order:

1. Cats
2. Y-pipe/mid-pipe
3. Exhaust section

Now how the different exhaust work with other mods is another story. You might have read how another member changed to the Greddy EVO2 true dual after installing a TT and had a signficant increase in torque across the range. But with NA mods, you're likely not going to notice a difference between exhaust anywhere except on a dyno.

Good luck and pick the one that appeals to you most on looks, sound and whatever other criteria you deem important. By your sig, it looks like the Borla would be a good bet. But if you like loud, then RS*R or Topspeed all the way!
Old 04-27-2004, 09:33 AM
jng1226

I forgot to mention that both the RS*R and Topspeed Pro-1 also come with removable silencers that only take about 1 minute to put in or remove. During normal driving it cuts the volume level by at least 50% to my ears , and the best part was on my dyno runs I only lost 0.8 rwhp when I put them in!
Old 04-27-2004, 09:43 AM
Dissolved

Thanks again everyone. I may try borla w/helix test pipes. But it still is not loud enough. To close to stock. May just get RSR with aftermarket y pipe. Eh..who knows.

Keeping my mods to a minimum on this car. Fast enough for me :-D

I would like to get the ecu reflashed to remove the damn speed limiter though
Old 04-27-2004, 09:54 AM
D@ActiveTuning

I don't understand how just an exhaust like the RSR would get those gains...I mean essentially it's mufflers, right?
Old 04-27-2004, 12:08 PM
jng1226

If you look at the gains, they are not really much more than what anyone else it claiming, maybe 2-3 hp more. Looking at the design of the RS*R/Topspeed, it looks like it could potentially be more free-flowing than the Nismo/Fujitsubo-type exhaust because there is no "muffler" section and associated tubing/bends. All the baffling there is in these exhaust are in the 8-inch secton befrore the tips and it is indeed straight-through flow design.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:13 PM
jng1226

Regarding flow, see what I mean:

RS*R:

Topspeed Pro 1:

Fujitsubo/Nismo - types:

But I am no engineer, so who knows? It's only a difference of a few HP, not anything you could ever notice by itself.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:32 PM
nissan350zparts

Default RSR pipes Exhaust

The RSR exhaust was my main interest at the meet. I should of talked to the DC 350Z owner some more. It makes me think why didn't Nissan think of this? That design would give us more room in the "trunk/ Hatch" area for another 2 cases of beer? Maybe a full size spare? Did anyone talk with the White 350Z owner from DE with the single exhaust?
Old 04-27-2004, 02:56 PM
zpeed350

I have had the RSR installed for a little over a month now and was 1 of 2 cars at the ATCO meet (that I counted) with it. IMO it is no question the meanest sounding exhaust available....and I receieved nothing but compliments and WOW's.

During my track runs my buddy was saying that it was no doubt the best sounding car down the track and it had people talking...well except for those guys with turbos, prochargers, and blow off valves....OH MY!

The system if very raw at first, but the sound has smoothed out nicely over the last 5 weeks or so. Still very loud, just really smooth with that hint of the Z purr from the VQ35.

I have a sound pressure level meter, I should do some readings for the board. anyone know the proper distance to take decibal readings?

I am eager to get my car dynoed, but I have no time for the next few weeks...but I will keep you posted. However, there is a noticeable difference after the fact. Besides that, the weight savings is tremendous. The stocker is a ROCK!

Last edited by zpeed350; 04-27-2004 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:14 PM
jng1226

Default Re: RSR pipes Exhaust

Originally posted by nissan350zparts
It makes me think why didn't Nissan think of this?
Probably because it's so loud (without the silencers in place) that you can't think when you're driving, and that becomes a liability for Nissan.

Seriously, my Topspeed - which I imagine to be nearly identical to the RS*R - is much louder under load (i.e. driving hard) inside of the car than outside. With the siliencers in place, it is much more manageable, and I imagine much like a Nismo or similar exhaust, maybe a bit louder.

Nissan has to homologate their cars for so many different markets, and some that have MUCH stricter noise controls than us. Also, I've heard that the dual tips were purely a design exercise. The designers felt that the image of a sports car was best served with dual tips, when engineering wise it could have done perfectly well with a single. Indeed, the factory system (and Nismo) are actually single pipe cat-back systems.

Quick Reply: RSR exhaust