Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

??? popcharger vs k&n ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 02:21 PM
sausage5000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

again, i must apologize.

when i said dynos, i didn't mean dynos from people who are trying to sell the product. we all know those examples exist, it's my fault for not being clear in my statements.

i assumed that people would know that i meant impartial data. you know, from the right perspective, from someone who's opinion is not biased by nature. this includes people who sell the products, and whoever's magazine paid off to say, whatever.

...like from one of you that has done the modification. you did do a baseline dyno, and then another to show the improvements, no? otherwise, you are just peeing in the proverbial wind with your (in my opinion) misguided efforts. funny stuff.

nothing in this thread is more precious than the "who's your daddy" post above, that gives a link to some fakea$$ paid off rice review. you totally owned yourself, bro.

you see, the fact is that i am correct and just trying to give info for new owners. in addition to reading for a long time to get my info, i personally know three different people who between them have tried almost every intake. my friends happen to do baseline dynos and then another with each mod.

does anyone want me to produce some dynos? i actually can back up my claims, contrary to some people. again though, the burden of proof should not lay in my court, but the people who can prove the mods are good from an impartial perspective.

...but thanks everyone very much for playing.

Last edited by sausage5000; 06-23-2004 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:16 AM
sausage5000

i hope i didn't upset anyone. but not to let yall down...

after this point... i will post one new dyno that shows intakes cause power loss, for each impartial dyno anyone posts to prove otherwise. ...the sad part is, it seems nobody has those dynos.

(i'm only trying to stimulate something productive here)

so... this is a link an article on the K&N Typhoon that includes install directions and whatever. this is not a personal friend of mine, but an online associate. ...kudos to dave from active tuning for the great writeup.

http://www.activetuning.com/pat/4/4/

...make sure you scroll down to the dynos. ...he also states that it feels faster though, showing that his rice receptors are being stimulated.

Let's turn to what K&N got on their dyno...10.1rwhp. Pretty impressive for an intake! Keep in mind they test in 4th gear though, while the 1:1 gear ratio in the 350Z is in 5th gear....

Unfortunately we weren't so lucky. Our best dyno with the intake compared to stock showed a loss of half a horsepower and a loss of 8.1 tq.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:01 AM
BJ1813

Default Re: ??? popcharger vs k&n ???

Originally posted by ch@mp
is there any significant difference between the two? performance? sound?
DON'T GET EITHER.THE NISMO COLD AIR INTAKE IS AWESOME.SURE IT'S A LITTLE MORE BUT IT'S WORTH IT!
Old 06-25-2004, 06:58 AM
sausage5000

i'm excited about the CAI w/ Apexi from frankencar. i will probably try one, unless a load of people post that it sux.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=80310
Old 06-25-2004, 07:20 AM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sausage5000,

Thanks for enlightening us with your eye opening info. The problem with many people out there is they believe everything they see and read, not knowing the real truth. I'm not saying mods don't work, or are not fun to install, it's just not all mods make the claims they say they do. You have to invest a lot of money and many mods to get real noticeable results. Sausage some will slam you on here, but I hear you. One reason I'm not spending all my money on mods is because I'm actually pretty happy with the performance of the stock car. I am spending 3g's on rims though That is one mod that is real noticeable...

Peace
Old 06-25-2004, 07:38 AM
sausage5000

thanks. i spent 3 gs on wheels too.

now i feel i must have some "go" also. just to clarify, i wasn't trying to be negative or mean to everyone. however, sometimes the positive route gets no response. ...if the search function worked for me on this forum, i could have spent no more than an hour to prove my point by posting links to past threads.

my largest hope is to be proven wrong, so that i can then purchase that product ASAP.

so far it seems proven that nismo exhaust is pretty good, but an intake is still questionable, IMO.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:01 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

moved
Old 06-26-2004, 12:28 PM
groovytang

my popcharger kept on stalling my car, the sound is nice, whistling might get annoying, but i'm changing it back to stock intake, besides

you won't feel the gain, trust me

if you want to spend around 100 dollars for the sound, well get it,

i'm not risking 100 dollars for stalling my car and putting my life in danger though
Old 06-27-2004, 05:47 PM
vze4fhpv

I run the pop charger with some other mods and it helps. Never had any stalling issues, nor does anyone I know with the same. You should have that looked at.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:52 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uhhh...last time I looked, I was driving a 350z not an Altima.....

Originally posted by MRfire
You're absolutely WRONG

Who's your daddy, who's your daddy

Popcharger info/test:

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/june03/350pop/

Here's a dyno from an Altima w/ Pop charger (w/ torque):
The Altima has this same engine DETUNED by 47hp. So, yes....a different intake may add a little on that system. Not so on the Z. The stock intake on the Z is more than adequate for any level of NA tuning you wish to do.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:00 AM
kwkslvr

um...I run a crawford plenum with a jwt popcharger and i noticed a difference between nismo cai which was on originally and Crawford Z said to take off, because off power losses, the stock airbox i put back on with the new plenum, and the jwt pop i put on 2 weeks ago. I haven't dynoed, but I run the 1/8th and my times have gone from 9.213-9.297 over 5 runs with the stock airbox to 9.112-9.163 with the jwt......just fyi.....