Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

OFFICIAL Kinetix post, plenum issues, discussion etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 04:47 PM
ChrisMCagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ZxRage
Okay, I have been waiting a very long time for this and I am looking to find some answers....

Kinetx, Is there any timeframe you can provide as to when you think the aluminum plenum will be available? I have been waiting a very long time for any information and all I hear is that you are working on it. I am probably just one of many people that have already asked this question but now it is starting to come down to the wire. I have an engine build coming up soon within a month or so and I would really like to have this plenum.

Can you provide any insight at all?

Thank you.
Your best bet is to either PM lsdunique or e-mail him. I don't think they are on the forum much anymore.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:47 PM
SungNamZ

Originally posted by ares
correct me if Im wrong, but I see 2 bolts, meaning v3 or earlier, not v4. with no support in the middle, I would think v4 would blow up under pressure; or at very least, flex like hell.
It is a V3 in the picture I posted. Currently running V4. I asked Isduniqe his thoughts on Kinetix Plenum and FI prior to installation. As he has tested the plenum under pressure, he felt the plenum would respond better to the pressure created by the SC than the NA vac.

No issues to date. I will also be interested to know when the FI plenum will be tested/released.

Chris, thanks for your concern! I am watching it very closely. I want the next change to be the aluminum FI plenum Kinetix showed in July 03.

Last edited by SungNamZ; 08-04-2004 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:40 PM
jun14scr

the plenum and the hood rubbed against each other. causing the paint from the hood to rub off (bare metal is exposed) and the paint off my plenum rubbed off. (bare plastic)

also, on my strut bar, the strut bar and the plenum rubbed against each other, causing the paint from the strut bar to rub off (bare metal exposed) and the paint from the plenum to rub off. (bare plastic)

follow now?
Old 08-05-2004, 04:28 AM
Steel Heals

For those experiencing the engine cover rubbing on the hood - did you use the rear two bolts with the spacers? I'm just curious since I did use them. I checked my engine cover and hood and have no rubbing.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:35 AM
myz8a4re

The engine cover with the spacers would be taller than w/o the spacers.........if its rubbing w/o the spacers than it seems there would be no way to eliminate the rubbing.........

-justin
Old 08-05-2004, 09:14 AM
all_bark

what said above is obviously true but some have left off the rear engine cover bolts altogether. I wonder if those are the only ones who are rubbing but then again, there plenum is rubbing not the engine covers!
Old 08-05-2004, 09:23 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by jun14scr
the plenum and the hood rubbed against each other. causing the paint from the hood to rub off (bare metal is exposed) and the paint off my plenum rubbed off. (bare plastic)

also, on my strut bar, the strut bar and the plenum rubbed against each other, causing the paint from the strut bar to rub off (bare metal exposed) and the paint from the plenum to rub off. (bare plastic)

follow now?
If your hood is actually touching the plenum then you've got some major problems, my friend.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:50 AM
jun14scr

yes, the hood and the plenum are touching. i am going to ask for a refund.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:00 AM
jun14scr

pics

where the plenum rubs the hood

where the hood rubbed on the plenum

where the strut bar rubbed against the plenum

didnt take a pic of the strut bar, but the paint on it also started to peel off.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:35 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by jun14scr
pics

didnt take a pic of the strut bar, but the paint on it also started to peel off.
That's bad! Either your engine is a little higher than normal, or your hood closes lower than normal. I can understand the strut bar rubbing because I had to adjust mine a little to raise it up, but the hood should not touch the plenum. That's bizarre!

-Chris
Old 08-05-2004, 11:30 AM
NOZ4U

Damn that is bad. Can you measure the height of your plenum where it rubbing? Maybe yours is a little thicker(highly unlikely) but you never know. Does the engine really move that much to cause that size of a wear?
Old 08-05-2004, 12:20 PM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another testimonial!

Well, I bought the rear camber arms when they first came out. Lsd is a class act, he answered my PMs and was always very nice. The parts work perfectly and the price was great.

I have been waiting to buy the front control arms (a matter of just doing it) and the plenum/HF Cats, watching the developments through V1, V2, V3 and V4. Through it all I continue to see Kinetix standing by their product, providing replacements and refunds all the time. This is much more than what you get most of the time, even from the dealer where you paid $30K+ for a car with "some defects"...

Something I don't understand : "pioneers", those who go for new technology first, always run the risk of issues coming up. We all hear people talk about the first year of a production car, V1.0 of any software, etc... Yet, people wanted the V1 plenum right away, and are not willing to asume the risk of issues.

I don't care for the issues, so I am waiting. I see Kinetix respond, watch the situation, and feel almost ready to jump in on V4. The price is right for the risk level, I feel.

Another thing I see. We are always asking for the manufacturers to give us info ahead of release. Many don't, keeping secrecy and market strategy. LSD makes the "mistake" to feed us info, comment on their processes, etc, and people JUMP ALL OVER HIM. Hummm. What are we to learn? That is better to keep the consumer un-informed?? Every time he guesses at a future price or future release date he stabs himself and gets blasted left and right. Have you learned "business politics" yet, lsd??

I think Kinetix is trying very hard. I think they have accepted and provided remedy for all defects they can find. And continue to improve the quality of their products. If given the chance, I would enjoy visiting the place and sharing a beer with Mr. lsd.

lsd, do you have a hobbie?? Or is this it???

lsd, IDEA : will you sell used V4s when they get traded in for aluminum ones? Because at "used/certified" price I could try one out!

Sergio, future owner of the plenum, HF cats and control arms, not necesarily in that order. I think the arms I need first...
Old 08-05-2004, 02:06 PM
myz8a4re

my hood is rubbing both the plenum & the engine cover as well. its hard to tell on the cover & the plenum. theres just a slight dull look in the areas but you can clearly see where my black paint rubbed of my hood. its on the lower structure support beams that run along the underside of the hood to keep it sturdy. thank god i didnt paint my engine cover yet, i feel for those that did already........im sure it bumps/rubs the hood when the engine is torqued to one side under heavy throttle conditions. my marks from rubbing arent as large as the ones pic'd above but they are there..........guess ill hold off on the engine cover painting till we see what will come from this!
-justin
Old 08-05-2004, 02:18 PM
theZman

This is not good. Let me ask you guys that are having rubbing issues: Do you have the small imperfection on your plenum near the strut bar - it looks like a crack? I am wondering if your v4 is the product of a different mold than my (yet to be installed) v4 with the imperfection.

I could be wrong but it seems like some v4 owners have no problems, while others are having rubbing issues on the engine cover and/or plenum.?.?
Old 08-05-2004, 02:21 PM
myz8a4re

i have the imperfection that resembles a crack in the strutbar valley as well as the rubbing.......the rubbing will take a while to appear on the engine cover & plenum. even now it is very slight on both these parts but the hood is the "tell all" that there is rubbing going on.........

-justin
Old 08-05-2004, 03:06 PM
SungNamZ

This "imperfection" has been addressed before by lsdunique, earlier in this thread. The rubbing is an issue that has recently appeared with the V4. I have it. It is identical those those pic's posted by ChrisMCagle.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:29 PM
myz8a4re

sungnamz, you have to read all of the posts to see why the mold imperfection was brought up again. it wasnt a matter of just finding it, it was being used to adress a possible mold design change between then & now....go back a couple posts and read, youll see our point.........

-justin
Old 08-05-2004, 03:57 PM
jun14scr

well i emailed kinetix asking fora refund.

i'm defintiely going with crawford. i emailed doug at crawford and he called me like 10 minutes after i sent the email. now thats customer service. i am very impressed. he also answered on the second ring when i called him back.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:19 PM
lsdunique

Hey Guys,

I am actually out of town this week, and have been trying to keep in contact throuh email and PM,

Chris, I have not read your post yet, but I have heard you had problems with a painted engine cover, please PM me and let me try to make things right.

I have just nowe found the new hood problems, and while I find it very strange because the plenum heigth should not have changed through the many versions, we are definately looking into it.

It can be a simple adjustment in our process to lower it slightly, but we are working on it.

I will be back into town this coming tuesday and will be able to address the issue further
Old 08-05-2004, 06:49 PM
SungNamZ

Originally posted by myz8a4re
sungnamz, you have to read all of the posts to see why the mold imperfection was brought up again. it wasnt a matter of just finding it, it was being used to adress a possible mold design change between then & now....go back a couple posts and read, youll see our point.........

-justin
I have contacted lsdunique about both the "verticle" line in the strut bar area, some think it to be a crack, and the rubbing issue.

I have a painted OEM cover and have the save issues as ChrisMCagle. The only difference being mine is "Brickyard" while his is red.

I asked ljamison in an e-mail weeks ago if there could be a thickness problem. I received a response! Lets see what he determines to be the problem.

I do not feel there is a crack. The height of the plenum is another issue.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL Kinetix post, plenum issues, discussion etc.