Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

OFFICIAL Kinetix post, plenum issues, discussion etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 07:01 PM
myz8a4re

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

deffinately no crack, for some reason you seem to be misenterpreting what myself and thezman were saying. we know the imperfection is not a crack. he thought that there were differences in some of the plenums & the plenums with the imperfection were a newer mold that didnt have the rubbing problem. then i answered him stating that i had this imperfection & the rubbing so his thoughts could not be true........again, were aware theres no crack & that there are rubbing issues with the v4 plenum due to potential thickness variences.......sorry for any confusion......

-justin
Old 08-06-2004, 06:06 AM
theZman

Justin is right. The only point of my post was to determine if we had a plenum from the same mold - i.e., if we both had a plenum with the imperfection. Since it appears that we do, it looks like I can expect a rubbing problem as well. I hope this clears things up.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:54 PM
scubasteve

[QUOTE I've heard that with F/I the plenum doesn't really add much anyway.

-Chris [/B][/QUOTE]

Chris,
This is not the only reason to upgrade the plenum.....especially with F/I applications. I believe, and correct me if I am wrong, that a concern with F/I and the stock plenum is equal distrubution of air to all cylinders, where the stock plenum fails. Even though HP gains would be minimal with F/I, the safety factor pays for itself many times over when it comes to these aftermarket plenums. Regardless if you like product A or B, I believe that a new plenum would be essential for F/I. I plan on going F/I very soon here and been researching the topic a bit. That being said, I want to go with an aluminum plenum when I go F/I, and I will definately give Kinetix a try becuase they have been very good with me and my plenums.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:26 AM
maserom

I'm waiting to hear how the V4 works, before installing it. It is sitting in my garage for the past 2 weeks.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:40 AM
NOZ4U

Throw it on.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:05 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by maserom
I'm waiting to hear how the V4 works, before installing it. It is sitting in my garage for the past 2 weeks.
Well, from a functional standpoint, it is great. Same power increase as previous versions and this one "feels" a bit stronger.

The only drawback is that the V4 has caused some rubbing of the hood on the engine cover and the actual plenum in some cases.

KINETIX is currently investigating what could be causing the problems.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:33 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am getting mine finally, buying second hand from a club member, a brand new V4 never installed before!

Will keep you guys posted on the results.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:15 PM
myz8a4re

you all will be happy with the perfromance results & the nice growl sound it adds at low rpms.......some have claimed they get no rubbing & some(as in my case) the rubbing is very light, almost nonexistant but its there, then the few who posted(pics) above that show aggressive rubbing.....non of the rubbing will affect performance.....im leaving mine on untill the FI plenum becomes available. they are in the testing stages now & if all goes well the FI plenums will be available later this month or early next month!! (o=

-justin
Old 08-09-2004, 03:07 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by myz8a4re
you all will be happy with the perfromance results & the nice growl sound it adds at low rpms.......some have claimed they get no rubbing & some(as in my case) the rubbing is very light, almost nonexistant but its there, then the few who posted(pics) above that show aggressive rubbing.....non of the rubbing will affect performance.....im leaving mine on untill the FI plenum becomes available. they are in the testing stages now & if all goes well the FI plenums will be available later this month or early next month!! (o=

-justin
The rubbing will not effect performance directly, but over time it can wear a weak point in the plenum which may cause failure. Luckily for me, I only have a contact point on my engine cover, but as you stated, other's have severe rub indications on the plenum. I have talked to lsdunique and based on what he said, I wouldn't expect the Aluminum plenum to be available for at least a good 2 months. I'll be anxious to hear when they will begin taking orders and if there will be a discounted "upgrade" price?

-Chris

Last edited by ChrisMCagle; 08-09-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:11 PM
myz8a4re

i have been emailing with jamisonl and his last email(yesterday) stated they may(may being the majic word) have plenums available by the end of the month......only stating what ive heard, not trying to spread false info here.......either way its getting closer & is within reach!

-justin
Old 08-09-2004, 04:49 PM
John@Victory

yea i have the rubbing on the front left of the plenum if your looking at the front of the car
Old 08-09-2004, 08:03 PM
CaneZMD

Just so you guys know, Just like SungNamZ, I've been running the Kinetix with my Vortech. I've put about 1500 miles on it with the SC and I've had no issues. I'm running the v3 now, but I have a v4 sitting on the workbench too. So don't be afraid to use the plenum with FI, unless you plan on upping the boost above, say, 10 psi.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:08 AM
slaponte

About the "rubbing", for those of you who see it first hand, would it help if we leave the cover off? If the plenum is touching the cover and the cover touching the hood, leaving the cover off might give it the few mm's it needs to barely touch until the problem gets resolved.

Just an idea.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:45 AM
myz8a4re

slaponte, that may help in some cases, the rubbing varies from not rubbing at all to heavy rubbing that may eventually cause problems with the plenums reliability. with my engine cover you can see it only hits cause the cover now bows a tad "up" in the center. i beleive if the cover were removed than it wouldnt rub the plenum. but i still have the plenum rubbing on the hood at another point so either way i have a problem......unfortunately everyones case will be a little different!

-justin
Old 08-10-2004, 09:31 AM
NOZ4U

I guess it could be worse and the plenum could be cracking I hope this doesn't blow up to be a bigger issue than perceived and I'm sure that what ever the problem is, it'll get corrected.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:32 PM
maserom

Should I use Black silicone or blue when putting the plenum on??
Old 08-13-2004, 03:35 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by maserom
Should I use Black silicone or blue when putting the plenum on??
When I put the V2 on I used Permatex Ultra-Copper. This time around with the V4 I didn't use any gasket maker and it works great. You should be fine without any.

-Chris
Old 08-13-2004, 08:00 PM
jun14scr

do not use silicon. i used some permatex non hardening gasket sealer, but silicon shoudl NOt be used.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:36 PM
jlimquest

Default Painted Kinetix Plenum???

I know that ZPresence paints plenums & does a great job. However, has anyone done a DIY? With what kind of paint & what process/colors?
Thanks!
Old 12-14-2004, 10:18 AM
MezzChris

I had an issue with the brass threads (female end to connect the engine cover). One seperated from the Plenum as I tightened the engine cover bolts.

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL Kinetix post, plenum issues, discussion etc.