Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

OFFICIAL Kinetix post, plenum issues, discussion etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 08:38 PM
wisecrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V4 plenum cracked!!!!!

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=84430

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

stole the pic from mike wazowskeeeeeeeee!!!!
Old 07-22-2004, 08:40 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually you stole it from a smiley website, not me
Old 07-23-2004, 11:27 PM
350ed
Professional

Thumbs up

Kinetix, thanks for taking care of my situation as you always do.

Originally posted by 350ed
My V3 cracked and I noticed today. Car was acting a little weird and just decided to check. It's in the usual spot under the top front bolt. It made it through a track day and under two months of driving
I sent you an email so lets work it out.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:33 AM
Bahraini350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plenum recieved Thanx Kenetix
Old 07-24-2004, 08:25 AM
StandAloneZ

I just want to know if all you guys who have sent back your crack manifolds pay for shipping each time. I'm not trying to be cheap here but when I sent my V3 back it cost 13 bucks for shipping and i was not reimbursed for that even though I was told I would be. Getting back to the topic, Kinetix has good customer service and they will do whatever to make you happy, but who really wants to deal with customer service? I know i just want a product without problems.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:44 AM
patdsaunders

My V2 developed cracks around the front center screw last week on track. It was not leaking trough, but I went home and changed it out before the afternoon sessions. Kinetix replaced it without sending back the old one. I installed the V4 this morning in 30min. It runs good.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:49 PM
ISH

Hey guys,
There are way so many threads on headers, plenums, cats etc that I am now more confused than ever. I've only got a popcharger and grounding kit on my Z and would like to add some real HP mods to my car. My main objective is power without too much noise. My popcharger is already loud enough for me. So what would you guys recommend. From what I gather adding a plenum or cats would make the car louder. But what about the carwford headers??? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
ISH
Old 07-24-2004, 03:14 PM
lowrider

ISH

To free up horsepower, you must add noise IMO. However, you have the loudest noisemaker there is right now, the POPCharger. BTW, I have one too.

Yes, I recommend the plenum, preferably the Crawford. You don't want to do anything to your exhaust without first doing Hi-Flow cats, again Crawford. Then maybe Borla TDs, and Crawford headers. By that time, you'll be ready for a TechnoSquare flashed ECU, again use the Crawford Flash.

Lou
Old 07-24-2004, 03:53 PM
ISH

Thanks for the info, Lou. I just got bit by the mod bug. Just this past week alone, I changed my brake pads, installed Insameamine's grounding kit, and changed my shift **** to the Nismo GT- and this is coming from someone who could barely change a tire.

I thinkg I'll probably do the plenum next as its the next easiest mod to do. But if what you say about the popcharger is true then I might as well lose it and install a full catback exhaust (Nismo)which will give me some real HP.

Any thoughts on the pulleys? I heard that it makes the belts squeak.

Originally posted by lowrider
ISH

To free up horsepower, you must add noise IMO. However, you have the loudest noisemaker there is right now, the POPCharger. BTW, I have one too.

Yes, I recommend the plenum, preferably the Crawford. You don't want to do anything to your exhaust without first doing Hi-Flow cats, again Crawford. Then maybe Borla TDs, and Crawford headers. By that time, you'll be ready for a TechnoSquare flashed ECU, again use the Crawford Flash.

Lou
Old 07-24-2004, 05:45 PM
lowrider

ISH

There are two schools of thought on pullys. BTW, the only one you need to change is the one for the crank. The two schools are:

1. You shouldn't change it because the stock one is harmonically balanced, and over time, the engine could self destruct.

2. The second school is that the engine is internally balanced, and it really doesn't matter as long as the new lighter smaller pulley is balanced itself.

There has been come hot debate on this. Do a search, and I'm sure you'll find it.

As for me - I'm in one of the classrooms in the first school. This is a mod that is not for me.

Oh, we have taken this thread completely off track.

Lou

Last edited by lowrider; 07-24-2004 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:09 PM
ISH

thanks again for your well thought out responses.

Originally posted by lowrider
ISH

There are two schools of thought on pullys. BTW, the only one you need to change is the one for the crank. The two schools are:

1. You shouldn't change it because the stock one is harmonically balanced, and over time, the engine could self destruct.

2. The second school is that the engine is internally balanced, and it really doesn't matter as long as the new lighter smaller pulley is balanced itself.

There has been come hot debate on this. Do a search, and I'm sure you'll find it.

As for me - I'm in one of the classrooms in the first school. This is a mod that is not for me.

Oh, we have taken this thread completely off track.

Lou
Old 07-25-2004, 04:19 PM
myz8a4re

i just thought of somthing today that i wanted to touch on & get kinetix response as well as other kinetix intake plenum owners. what was the deal with those 2 white plastic spacers & longer screws that were supposed to go between the engine cover & the bolt hole locations in the plenum? i just thought about it today as i ran across those spacers sitting in my toolbox. i remember attempting to use them & having no luck with the strut bar clearance. then i removed them & installed the cover as it should have been like factory & everything fit fine.......somone fill me in here, i almost forgot about those silly things! i think it was a v4 alteration but im unsure........

-justin
Old 07-26-2004, 08:57 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by myz8a4re
i just thought of somthing today that i wanted to touch on & get kinetix response as well as other kinetix intake plenum owners. what was the deal with those 2 white plastic spacers & longer screws that were supposed to go between the engine cover & the bolt hole locations in the plenum? i just thought about it today as i ran across those spacers sitting in my toolbox. i remember attempting to use them & having no luck with the strut bar clearance. then i removed them & installed the cover as it should have been like factory & everything fit fine.......somone fill me in here, i almost forgot about those silly things! i think it was a v4 alteration but im unsure........

-justin
Throw those bolts and washers in the trash. You will only use the 2 front bolts to hold the engine cover in place. If you want to use the rear mounting locations as well, you will have to remove the strut bar every time you want to install/uninstall the engine cover because you will not be able to get those white spacers under the cover with the strut bar in place. The front 2 bolts hold the engine cover on very securely.

-Chris
Old 07-26-2004, 01:53 PM
myz8a4re

chris, i did end up throwing them out, i just remember messing with them back when i put my plenum on trying to figure out what the heck they were trying to use them for. i did install all the factory (4) screws into the engine cover when i reinstalled it. no problems with the strutbar fitment this way....i didnt even think to leave the rear screws out to access the plenum. i wasnt sure that the front nuts would hold it well, ill remember that the next time i remove the strutbar...........i just wanted to see if anyone had an explanation for the spacers since the cover fits fine w/o them! what was thier plan for these? i only asked because i ran across them in my toolbox this weekend & remembered how goofy they were when i was trying to use them! i thought they lost thier marbles for a minute, lol!

-justin
Old 07-26-2004, 09:27 PM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

my spacers went on just fine and i still have the strut bar....
Old 07-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Bahraini350Z

The strut bar is touching and making some annoying noise and vibration. Had to take it of!
What can I do to overcome this?
Old 07-27-2004, 02:17 PM
myz8a4re

loosen the 2 end nuts on the left(pass) side of the strut brace. then turn the center nut towards you, from the top of the car down. this nut moves the entire center piece in direction, epending on whether you want to toghten or lossen the tension of the bar. the direction i described increases the tension on the bar wich raises the center point. only raise it enough to clear the plenum, dont go crazy cranking the bars tension...........best of luck!

-justin
Old 07-28-2004, 04:48 AM
Bahraini350Z

thanx.... it worked
Old 07-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Shadowrwr

Default V4 Rubbing

Well ive had my V4 installed for two weeks now, and its rubbing the inside of my hood. Does anyone else have this problem? it rubs the hood about 2-3 inches above the strut bar on the right hand side. I put a small peice of a gasket on the hood to prevent it from peeling away at my paint but it just rubbed away the piece. What should i do about this?
Thanks, -Rich-
Old 07-28-2004, 08:03 PM
all_bark

that is definitely the first i have heard about it rubbing the hood!

put some chalk or something on the hood where it is rubbing, close the hood, drive around the block and make sure it is the plenum. if it is, you need another. that just does not make sense! it could be the strut....

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL Kinetix post, plenum issues, discussion etc.