Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

OFFICIAL Kinetix post, plenum issues, discussion etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 04:29 PM
lsdunique

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe I deserve to be interogated!!!

I dont want to make promises, or even claims on the aluminum manifold. I can only state what I know as a fact, which is that the aluminum manifold is our top priority.

As far as looks, I dont have the link but can someone post the link with the pics of our original aluminum manifold? it is quite old I believe, but it is there somewhere.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:42 PM
o snap its eric

the one that looks like a casket?
Old 07-14-2004, 04:56 PM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by AFitchTLS
So are you trying to say for the Aluminum version, it will be a total cost of about $700 or that will be the price difference from the V3 Plastic one that I have now? I don't know how I feel about this.

I guess i'll wait for that answer when it's released since you don't know if it's just going to be eye candy or an actual working piece. I'm sure it will be worth the wait though, i'm a patient kinda guy..... sometimes, lol.

Also can you comment on the red glue substance that you guys use? I remember reading where some members had a hard time taking off the V2 or V3 to replace it with the V3 or V4.

What's the best way to get the center screws out without stripping them or damaging the rest of the motor and it's surrounding areas.

Do you guys have any suggestions of which materials to use to help loosen them to upgrade the plenum or for those who wish to go back to stock??

I love the sound, performance, and the look of your plenum, and yeah few problems have arose across the forums w/ members, but I still support you guys. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!

I'll e-mail you soon about replacing the plenum, but should I do that now or wait a little for more info about the aluminum version?? Please let me know what you want me to do.. Thanks.
I just used hex head screws inside the plenum instead of the 6 allen head screws provided.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:53 PM
lsdunique

no, its not the one that looks like a casket, it was posted by me with a couple pics
Old 07-14-2004, 06:22 PM
esemes

lsdunique-

again on the carbon fiber.... (plastic/fglass was covered, but not CF)

can we do this?? (we meaning you'all)

-eS
Old 07-14-2004, 06:34 PM
zachcrosen

Everyone who is interested in the Kinetix cats/test pipes GB, please visit https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=82524 . This GB will only last thru Tuesday July 20 so get in while you can.

Zach
Old 07-14-2004, 06:38 PM
BrImSt0ne

Originally posted by lowrider
Brimestone

Just for the record - The Crawford plenum is $395.00 (with core return) and the strut bar is $175.00. Total therefore is $570.00 (not $800.00) for items that work. One of my daily duties, is NOT opening my hood looking for cracks.

Lou
I want to keep my stock manifold for warranty work reasons...SO LIKE I SAID, $800. Not everyone wants to give up their core. Ok, so my SB estimate was off by $5! Sorry. I can see how that makes a big difference in the overall price......NOT! LOL
Old 07-14-2004, 07:31 PM
randyshemin@comcast.

Originally posted by BrImSt0ne
I want to keep my stock manifold for warranty work reasons...SO LIKE I SAID, $800. Not everyone wants to give up their core. Ok, so my SB estimate was off by $5! Sorry. I can see how that makes a big difference in the overall price......NOT! LOL
I have not heard of any negative dealer experiences on warranty work on cars with the plenums. I worked at a local Nissan dealer here and we had several come through for various repairs...the plenum was never an issue. I also understand several dealers have ordered the plenums for their customer's cars and handled the installation also. Warranty should not be a problem.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:38 PM
luanda

Default Warranty Plenum

The dealer installed my Crawford - they weren't concerned about voiding warranty. They noted that the plenum was bit warped...called Crawford...he suggested that the plenum would install OK.....it did.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:52 PM
AboostedG
Twin Spoolin

I just used hex head screws inside the plenum instead of the 6 allen head screws provided.
Where did you get them? How much were they? What size did you use? Did you still use the Red Glue?

lsdunique Are you going to offer something else? I read something about a Blue Glue that is still strong, but not SUPER strong.

I haven't tried to take mine off yet because I am still awaiting your reply from my last post about the situation. I know it will be difficult to get it off because of the glue. Just let me know what to do.

Do you suggest I use WD-40 to help loosen it up and get it off with ease?
Old 07-14-2004, 09:36 PM
Jsn350Z

I suppose I can post my experiance.

First off, I ordered a set of Kinetix HF cats. First thing is since I was there watchign a mechanic install them is that they fit like absolute crap. Let it be known that most people did not have the problems I had with fitment according to reviews on here. I just had another dose of that bad luck I tend to have I suppose. Also, as I drive away, I immediatly noticed rasp from 3-4k, and BAD rasp! A week later they both ended up cracking. I took them off and put the stock ones back on. Kinetix sent me a plenum in place of the cats no questions asked.

I recieve the plenum, V3. As I am installing it, an area cracked at the throttle body bolt ( as I understand it, I am one of the only with this problem ) As I have said before, the bolt was NOT tight yet and could still almost be spun by hand when it cracked. People suggested that the bolt hole may have bottomed out. Inside of the plenum was also rough at the throttle body area on the inside.

I then contacted them again and they refunded my money no problem.

So overall, I suppose I just had some bad luck with their products, but their customer service was very good. ( Although I could sence a bit of aggravation when i called asking for a refundand when telling them the plenum cracked )

Last edited by Jsn350Z; 07-14-2004 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:20 PM
lsdunique

I think I handled that call, because I remember the situation and even remember inspecting the plenum when it came back. I remember being upset at the fact that the problem you described (which is what I found when I inspected it) was not a problem we had seen before. You can imagine that being consumed with the plenum process has taken its toll on me, so potential new problems are definately upsetting.

I never saw another plenum have that problem, but sure enough yours did. I believe it was actually cracked prior to delivery, a hairline crack due to over torqueing when we tap the threads for the throttle body inserts. Though we only had that one incident, we now use a drill with a clutch to tap those threadsfor that reason.

As for removing the center screws, I can only saw make sure you use the proper 4mm hex key wrench. I dont think WD-40 will penetrate.

We have some of the blue threadlock on order and will do some testing on our car. We originally used the red because of the lighter torque ratings, but we think with the new design that the blue stuff may work just as well, with less after effects.

Also Jason, its always worse to try and make good on our products only to lose the customer in the end. So given the past experiences if you ever give us another chance, email me at jamisonl@msn.com and I can try to accomodate you somehow.

As far as warranty work with aftermarket parts, I see it like this: it all depends on your dealer and every decision concerning warranty work will be made by different people. I like to think most dealers can understand which parts interact with which parts and will honor warranty work. Sometimes though this is not the case and it never hurts to be safe.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:38 PM
BrImSt0ne

Originally posted by randyshemin@comcast.
I have not heard of any negative dealer experiences on warranty work on cars with the plenums. I worked at a local Nissan dealer here and we had several come through for various repairs...the plenum was never an issue. I also understand several dealers have ordered the plenums for their customer's cars and handled the installation also. Warranty should not be a problem.
Thats cool that dealers are doing that now! Still makes me uneasy though. A dealer will install whatever you want them to whether it voids warranty or not, as long as you are paying. But if for some reason there was ever engine trouble and they could somehow tie the after market plenum (or any other "non-warranty covered" mod) into the equation even the slightest bit as a possible reason for the problem, then they wont cover it and you end up paying out of pocket. Seen it too many times in the past.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:37 PM
Bahraini350Z

I partipated on the GB and still waiting without a plenum!! u emailed me that the plenum was sent 9 days ago but I still dont even have a tracking number!!
thanx
Old 07-15-2004, 05:29 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Is this the plenum you guys are working on??
Attached Thumbnails OFFICIAL Kinetix post, plenum issues, discussion etc.-intake-manifold-1.jpg  
Old 07-15-2004, 05:29 AM
ACEMAN
Master

pic 2

laterz
Aceman
Attached Thumbnails OFFICIAL Kinetix post, plenum issues, discussion etc.-intake-manifold-3.jpg  
Old 07-15-2004, 05:39 AM
bwzabodyn

I don't think I would be using a engine cover if I had that lovely piece under my hood... when this comes out, are you going to do a trade-in program if I send in the old plenum and pay the difference?
Old 07-15-2004, 07:00 AM
RCKTDAWG

Installed V4 last night. It looks better, fits better, produces more power, seems to make the engine run smoother and is a whole lot quieter. I am very pleased. Note: there was an indentation on the inside middle towards the front (strut bar indent area) larger than the diameter of a quarter and approx 1/8" deep. It was very smooth and appeared to be where it came off the mold. Hopefully this won't be a problem. The car is much quieter and I now enjoy the sound coming out the back more!
Old 07-15-2004, 07:25 AM
luanda

I keep coming back to the Fiberglass Thang....

What about hand-laying 1-2 layers on the top after receiving ine - would this have any ill-effects???
Old 07-15-2004, 07:32 AM
Loco350Z

has anyone taken there car to the track with the V4 on. Can it handle the heat and beat down of the 1/4 mile?

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL Kinetix post, plenum issues, discussion etc.