Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

OFFICIAL Kinetix post, plenum issues, discussion etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 07:37 AM
CaneZMD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my v4 last night, mine has the smae indentation.
But I'm still running my v3, with the Vortech SC, 800 miles now with no problems.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:58 AM
THX723

Originally posted by Loco350Z
has anyone taken there car to the track with the V4 on. Can it handle the heat and beat down of the 1/4 mile?
Funny you mentioned. I just got back from the 1/4 strip for a little testing last night. It appeared to handle itself quite well (as in no cracking). I was able to establish my personal best. On the average, I've gained approx. 0.1s to the quarter and trap speed is up nearly a whole mph.

IMHO, 1/4-mile racing doesn't subject enough stress to the plenum. It'll take several open track event at a road course to test the robustness of v4 ... and I will be doing just that. My next track event will be in October in the heat of the California desert. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:50 AM
NOZ4U

Originally posted by RCKTDAWG
Note: there was an indentation on the inside middle towards the front (strut bar indent area) larger than the diameter of a quarter and approx 1/8" deep. It was very smooth and appeared to be where it came off the mold. Hopefully this won't be a problem.
I saw this spot right above the STB and it was there before the plenum was even installed so I don't think it was a crack from stress. It looked more like an imperfection from the molding and it looks more raised than cracked. My first version was ver. 4 and the only problem I had was removing the TB from the original plenum.(Obviously not Kinetix's fault but Damn was it tight) I ended up stripping two bolts and had to take it to a machine shop. They used an acetylene torch to work them out without damage to the bolts or the TB. I found four new bolts(exactly the same as stock) and put the plenum on. There was an issue with fitment but nothing that I would make a big stink about. There looked as if there was some residual plastic molded in the bottom right hole so I just smoothed it out with a small bit. I gave it a little elbow grease to make sure the bolt didn't cross-thread and VOILA! Along with their cats, Borla, JWT flywheel/intake, I'm very happy. Especially the sound and power. My only issue it the new grounding points which I'm still not sure of. The plenum definately doesn't flex as much as the previous version and it's working great for me*knock on wood*.
Attached Thumbnails OFFICIAL Kinetix post, plenum issues, discussion etc.-imperfection.jpg  
Old 07-15-2004, 09:08 AM
lsdunique

The small line pictured above is in the prototype as a surface imperfection, which comes out in the mold, not a crack. The void you guys have referred to is a void that is left from how the plastic flows through when molding. This is one of the reasons we cant increase the viscosity of the plastic, because other voids would be present throughout.

hand laying fiberglass is a possiblity but, once the plastic is set, the materials used to hand lay fiberglass will not bond with the plastic.

I keep forgetting to respond to the request about carbon fiber. I cant say we wont do it, but we have had no experience with the material or how to process it. I am open to trying several things because I know it has great properties, but as of right now we just dont have the experience.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:26 AM
NOZ4U

Kinda figured that. It eases my mind now that I won't have to keep an eye on it. Very happy with your products.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:28 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by NOZ4U
My only issue it the new grounding points which I'm still not sure of.
Here are the new grounding kit mount points

Right side:

Left side (it's connected in the lower left corner of the picture):

-Chris
Old 07-15-2004, 09:41 AM
NOZ4U

Attached Thumbnails OFFICIAL Kinetix post, plenum issues, discussion etc.-000_0087__small_.jpg  
Old 07-15-2004, 09:41 AM
NOZ4U

On the right side, I attached it on top of the bracket that holds the intake in place. Would this be correct? I only have one ground wire connected there. How do you have two? Should it go under the bracket and actually touch the lower intake manifold?
Attached Thumbnails OFFICIAL Kinetix post, plenum issues, discussion etc.-000_0087__small_.jpg  
Old 07-15-2004, 11:04 AM
ChrisMCagle

On the right side, I attached it on top of the bracket that holds the intake in place. Would this be correct? I only have one ground wire connected there. How do you have two? Should it go under the bracket and actually touch the lower intake manifold?
Yup! that's the correct location.
I have a 6-wire grounding kit (that I made). The 6th wire goes from that location to the connection point of the Airbox (or Popcharger in my case).

-Chris
Old 07-15-2004, 03:46 PM
Steel Heals

It's been about 1 1/2 weeks since I installed v4. No cracks yet. I'm still waiting on the install for the cats, but yes, I have them, and they are safe and sound in the garage (with my headers and Borla).
Old 07-15-2004, 05:40 PM
NOZ4U

Should it be grounded to the bracket or the lower manifod. My assumption is since the metal bracket is touching the lower manifold, it's all good. Hows your idle?
Old 07-15-2004, 05:57 PM
myz8a4re

thanx for the ground wire info............

-justin
Old 07-15-2004, 06:13 PM
Loco350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its good to hear that the plenum wont crack running on the 1/4 track. I will be going this weekend and dont want to crack another one. I think you may have a winner here.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:30 PM
Bahraini350Z

Originally posted by Bahraini350Z
I participated on the GB and still waiting without a plenum!! u emailed me that the plenum was sent 9 days ago but I still dont even have a tracking number!!
thanx
feed back please
Old 07-15-2004, 09:42 PM
lsdunique

I am looking for the receipt from which we shipped your plenum. We had to ship your plenum USPS express, and we shipped it quite a while ago, I believe beginning of last week!!

We couldnt get it to process through our fedex shipping system because of the lack of zip code, so we took it down to the post office.

It should show up there any day now, but I will try to locate the receipt, they have a shipping number on the receipt though I have never tracked using it.

I will try to get on it tomorrow for you
Old 07-16-2004, 05:42 AM
Static

I received my V4 plenum yesterday, and I'm looking forward to installing it this weekend. Kinetix told me they were shipping it out this past monday, and when I checked in with them on Monday, they said they actually shipped it out that previous Friday... which was a pleasant surprise. Thanks guys. I'll post a review when I get some miles on this thing.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:11 AM
bwzabodyn

I've done 10+ quarter mile runs on a back-country road w/ my G-tech and there isn't even the slightest hint of wear - I get on my car pretty good, and I've been keeping an eye on it, but there is nothing that would even hint at being a crack or stress...
Old 07-16-2004, 12:07 PM
ChrisMCagle

Should it be grounded to the bracket or the lower manifod. My assumption is since the metal bracket is touching the lower manifold, it's all good. Hows your idle?
Either way. There is metal to metal contact no matter which way you do it. I have mine sitting on top of the metal bracket.

-Chris
Old 07-16-2004, 12:18 PM
Bahraini350Z

Thanx lsd
Old 07-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Bahraini350Z

Originally posted by bwzabodyn
I've done 10+ quarter mile runs on a back-country road w/ my G-tech and there isn't even the slightest hint of wear - I get on my car pretty good, and I've been keeping an eye on it, but there is nothing that would even hint at being a crack or stress...
Did u feel any difference in performance?? What was the readings on ur G tech??

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL Kinetix post, plenum issues, discussion etc.