Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Regular oil or Synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 11:17 AM
BRZ3303

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regular oil or Synthetic?

Which one is better, the dealer and manual say use regular, everyone says to use synthetic........
Old 06-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Zexy

I wouldn't ask anything technical advice pertaining to oil on this site.

Some people on these threads recommend synthetic and not changing it for 15k miles.

I don't give a **** what it is, i change my oil EVERY 3k MILES no matter what oil i choose.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Stailey

Synthetic... change every 2500-3000 Miles

I use Mobil 1
Old 06-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Z'd

The "manual" (Nissan) doesn't require the use of mineral based oil, they recommend it. This is not uncommon when a manufacturer has not or does not care to test a range of products.

As long as the oil you select meets the API grade requirement, you are safe, as far as warranty issues are concerned.

Personally, I use Amsoil synthetic and change once a year- which is around 6000 miles for me.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:09 PM
jackwhale

I've never read any credible evidence that either oil makes a difference especially if you change the oil at the the recommended intervals. I would guess that frequent oil changes have more positive impact than the brand of oil.

However I have used Mobil1 on my cars for many years. I used to say to myself that it worked better because it didn't 'break down' as much. I no longer believe that...more important to change the oil frequently. A while ago someone on this site said that they worked for a race team which used a certain brand of synthetic, and their race car ran 20 degrees cooler. I have trouble believing that was true (if it was true, every race team would switch immediately).
Old 06-10-2005, 05:48 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zexy
I wouldn't ask anything technical advice pertaining to oil on this site.

Some people on these threads recommend synthetic and not changing it for 15k miles.
Those are the smart people who have read research done on motor oils.

I don't give a **** what it is, i change my oil EVERY 3k MILES no matter what oil i choose.
You've become a lemming of the "Jiffy Lube" 3K or you'll be sorry scare tactic of promoting oil change businesses. Hell not even Nissan recommends an oil change every 3000 miles. It's a waste of oil and money. If you don't believe me...check out http://www.blackstone-labs.com and order one of their FREE oil analysis kits and send them a sample of your used oil during your next 3000 mile oil change. $20 says when you get the results back they'll say your oil still had plenty of life left in it.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:52 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Z'd

Personally, I use Amsoil synthetic and change once a year- which is around 6000 miles for me.
+1 AMSOil is fantastic stuff. From my experience with the three VQ powered cars that I've owned Mobil1 is too thin and is easily consumed at the rate of a quart or more every 2000-3000 miles. My VQ's don't comsume AMSoil AT ALL. It's just like I was running conventional oil the whole time oil comsumption wise. This probably explains why so many people with Z's post oil comsumtion issues on this forum and a majority of them use Mobil1.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:02 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Here's a excerpt from a test that Consumer Reports ran a while back.

"Consumer Reports, with one of the most widely respected product testing laboratories in the world has just released the results of an extensive test on oil brands and oil changes, as well as other issues regarding car care. In the process, the test demolished much of the conventional wisdom regarding car lubrication. The two most surprising results: the frequency with which oil is changed doesn't matter after the first few oil changes on a new engine, and the type or brand of oil used can not be shown to make any difference.

The testers placed freshly rebuilt engines in 75 New York taxis and then ran them for nearly two years, with each cab racking up 60,000 miles, placing different brands and weights in different cars and changing the oil at 3,000 miles in half the cars and 6,000 in the other half. At the conclusion of the test period, the engines were torn down, measured and inspected. The conclusions: Regardless of brand of oil or weight, no measurable differences could be observed in engine wear. Furthermore, there was no difference among cars which had oil changed at the shorter or longer interval."
Old 06-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Z BOY

i tried mobil1, and my engine went through it very fast. back to dino oil for me.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:46 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pour some synthetic in one hand, and some regular in one hand. Rub it around a little, and then tell me which one you want to use. I was amazed by the results.

Respect
JET
Old 06-21-2005, 02:30 PM
bwilliams

The hand job test...too funny!

Seriously, while the hand job test is not very scientific, does not simulate the conditions inside an engine, and should not be the basis of choosing one oil over another,
it is a "seat of the pants" test that should say if you look a little deeper, you'll find the answers. Bypass the marketing BS and find the research results.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:16 PM
SWUtah

Originally Posted by Z'd
The "manual" (Nissan) doesn't require the use of mineral based oil, they recommend it. This is not uncommon when a manufacturer has not or does not care to test a range of products.

As long as the oil you select meets the API grade requirement, you are safe, as far as warranty issues are concerned.

I hope you don't have any problem with your engine since the Amsoil does not meet the requirement set by Nissan that requires the oil you use in your Z to have the API donut. You might win in court with a good lawyer but who needs the hassle? Use an oil that has the API donut. Unless your no longer under warranty then use what you want. I am not knocking Amsoil, but they don't want to spend the money to get the donut so why would I want to trust their marketing BS? JMHO
Old 11-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Z'd

Originally Posted by SWUtah
I hope you don't have any problem with your engine since the Amsoil does not meet the requirement set by Nissan that requires the oil you use in your Z to have the API donut. You might win in court with a good lawyer but who needs the hassle? Use an oil that has the API donut. Unless your no longer under warranty then use what you want. I am not knocking Amsoil, but they don't want to spend the money to get the donut so why would I want to trust their marketing BS? JMHO
Is this the "donut" you are referring to??
Attached Thumbnails Regular oil or Synthetic?-amsoil.jpg  
Old 11-16-2005, 03:55 PM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

after reading about this for months, i decided to follow some advice:

- use the regular oil until 8-10k miles and let the engine "break in" as much as it can
- at 8-10k mi switch to a good synthetic
- change oil every 4-5k miles
- use 10w 30 if you live in a hot area
- use 5w 30 if you live where it's cold more often

I live in Texas, so I use 10w 30 most of the year. I'm switching to 5w 30 in a few weesk due to some cold weather.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:52 AM
nkohler

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z BOY
i tried mobil1, and my engine went through it very fast. back to dino oil for me.
Same. I was mobil1 5w30 and had my motor replaced (not due to the mobil1) but the mobil did tend to burn faster. I am back to dino castrol 5w30 oil.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Kumacho

I'm going to cut and paste from several of my earlier comments on the Synth vs. Dino oil posts:

A few things on this subject:

Oils will not break down at any of the normal operating tempratures you will find in a street engine. Even racing engines see very little breakage caused by oil failure. The weak link in engine lubrication is actually the oil filter.

As the filter does it's job of taking blowby and naturally occuring minerals from your lubricant it's flow becomes more and more restricted. The reason a 3,000 mile/90 day replacement schedule is recommended isn't due to oil break down, it is to keep oil flowing freely through your filter.

I've done a lot of research and have come to the conclusion that on anything short of a top fuel dragster, dino oil is all you need. In all the research I have seen the best synthetic oil for a extreme condition engine is Redline synthetic products. They offer the best thermal break down protection and is the most common synthetic used by teams not sponsered by an oil company (talking top fueler here).

You want an Amsoil horror story? I've got one for ya.

While working as a Motorcycle mechanic at Tri-City Honda, our parts manager brought in his Honda CB400 hawk. He had developed a very loud clacking sound that he could not locate. With my stethascope diagnostic tool, I narrowed the sound down to the bottom end. There was more noise than normal occuring in the top end as well, however, the very loud "clatter" was coming from the crankcase.

After I completed the engine tear down I found a badly scored main bearing, a burnished main bearing, obvious wear on the connecting rod bearing, minor scoring on 2 cam bearings, the journals on the cam and almost every lifter and cam lobe. Johnny was really good at making his oil changes. He almost never got to 3000 miles but always changed his oil and filter prior to 90 days.

He broke his bike in on dino oil and as an Amsoil distributer he switched to Amsoil right after the break in period. The bike only had 8,000ish miles on it so the problem should never have happened.

Since Amsiol offers a warrenty on their products Johnny grabbed the warranty and went over the procedures for reimbursement. Here is what Amsoil requires on any claim:

In the event of a claim against AMSOIL INC., the procedure below must be completely followed.

a. Where the original warranty from the equipment manufacturer is still in effect, the customer shall file a warranty claim with the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) in accordance with the OEM warranty procedure.

No OEM warranty will replace a complete engine caused by oil failure. I have no idea where they came up with this stipulation!

b. Customer shall retain failed parts for inspection by AMSOIL INC. unless given to the OEM.

I bagged up the main bearings and the con rod bearing for him to ship to them.

c. Customer shall also, within 30 days of failure, notify AMSOIL INC. and provide the following:

(a.) An eight (8) ounce representative oil sample taken from the failed equipment and put into a clean container.

We put more than 8 ounces of his oil into an Amsoil bottle for them to "analyze".

(b.) Documentation including make, model, and year of equipment, total accumulated miles and/or hours, and duty cycle or service environment.

(c.) Equipment or vehicle maintenance history documentation including miles or hours at the time of AMSOIL lubricant installation, general equipment repairs, and oil analysis results if available.

No problem there since he worked at the shop and we had all his service records to prove that he more than followed prescribed oil changes.

(d.) Proof of purchase for AMSOIL lubricant.

(e.) Batch number from oil container or Certificate of Analysis

We followed all the directions and sent in the massive amount of required documentation and/or parts and fluids.

His bike remained a basket case while he waited for a response. After numerous phone conversations and a three month wait he got a letter that basically stated that the failure was not caused by Amsoil and it had to be a manufacture defect in the machine itself!

Almost every bearing surface?! A failure or damage on almost every surface that requires lubrication would sure show a problem with the lubricant. If it were blocked oil paths (not the case) then the failures/damage would have been local and not occuring in both the top and bottom end of the engine. If there had been a bad bearing lot, then you would expect to find Main bearings only or con rod bearings only. Surely not both and certainly not both bottom end and top end! (The cam bearings on a CB400 are a intregal part of the head)

By the way, I have to wonder about a guy that lists A. J. Foyt as a "NASCAR legend". A. J.'s claim to fame was his Indy Car career. He only had 7 NASCAR wins. Better yet how about A. J. Foyt: The only man to win the Indy 500, Daytona 500 and 24 hours of Lemans -or- A. J. Foyt the only driver to win the Indy 500 four times?

If you really want to use a synthetic, go with Redline. But as I mentioned, it's really not needed unless you have an engine that builds up huge heat and pounds the bearing like there is no tomorrow.

Quote:
According to a McDonnell-Douglas study, roughly 90% of all engine wear comes at initial startup.

This is because at start up there is very little oil on some surfaces of the engine. No matter whether you use synthetic or dino oil, this still holds true. The biggest problem area for lack of lubrication at start up is the rings themselves. Lubrication for the rings and thus the cylinder walls come from small holes under the rings in the ring grooves. Oil is forced through those holes and provides a small film of oil between the rings and the cylinder. It takes quite a bit of time before enough oil can be pushed through these oil paths to properly lubricate the rings and cylinder.
There are two reasons I change my oil every 3,000 miles.

1) I do drive the car hard and autocross it during spring and summer.

2) Oil breakdown is NOT the reason I change it. I change at 3,000 miles to replace the filter. Not enough importance is placed in the second most important part of the oiling system (first being the oil pump and second being the filter itself).
Old 06-05-2006, 07:46 AM
rx7/350z

No Synthetic On Break-in.