Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 05:58 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by atom12
has any one had any problems getting the motor back together
I had a really hard time putting it back together as it just wouldn't go back in. You just have to keep messing with it and at one point, it'll just all fit together perfectly.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ugghh, I just did the drivers side, and the new motor is just as slow. One of the tracks seems to push on the window to much providing too much resistance and slowing it up to a weaksauce pace. INtegritys windows roll up faster than mine roll down. I tried bending that support back some with no luck. I bought 2 new ones from Performance Nissan and the stock motors suck a huge donkey d!ck. I'm gonna try to return the other one and get the Autozone motors which are faster and have a lifetime warranty. Now I have to reset the regulator on the pass side cuz its been dropping down for like 2 years. F*ck Nissan

edit-I pulled the panels off gently and straight out it came out with no fight and the POS clips (3 of them) broke, now my door panel is looser than before cuz they provide you POS .02 $ clips....
Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tienedZ
i think my motors are fine but the windows roll down after I take my key out... it might be an electrical problem. is there a way to reset the motor??
There are 3 posts indicating how to do it in this thread alone, try reading...
Old 08-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Integrity
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Ugghh, I just did the drivers side, and the new motor is just as slow. One of the tracks seems to push on the window to much providing too much resistance and slowing it up to a weaksauce pace. INtegritys windows roll up faster than mine roll down. I tried bending that support back some with no luck. I bought 2 new ones from Performance Nissan and the stock motors suck a huge donkey d!ck. I'm gonna try to return the other one and get the Autozone motors which are faster and have a lifetime warranty. Now I have to reset the regulator on the pass side cuz its been dropping down for like 2 years. F*ck Nissan

edit-I pulled the panels off gently and straight out it came out with no fight and the POS clips (3 of them) broke, now my door panel is looser than before cuz they provide you POS .02 $ clips....
Don't feel bad, I ripped the passenger side door handle off on Sunday... cheap POS plastic. Gonna try and order a new one from Peformance Nissan.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:26 PM
quiksilver38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow ive been working on my passenger side for the past hour what a pain in the *** trying to get that thing back on of course i put some screws in the wrong spots....
Old 08-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Fossil410

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped put this fix together, using the diagrams that were posted I had a very sucessful passenger side window repair...saved me some money for sure.... The dynamat...in my door made for a sticky situation but we got through it, thx guys.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Road Warrior

i need to replace my drivers side window. i was pissed to find out my motor had gone out leaving my window all the way down. i didn't notice the window being down when i got out of the car because i didn't even have the window down at all...must have gone down on its own shortly after i had set the alarm or something. anyways, had all my cd's stolen that were sitting in my front seat.

from what i have read it seems like there are several options regarding replacing the motor.

of all the manufacturers, is autozone the best?

sorry for not reading the thousands of posts here but i would appreciate any input on which motor to buy. i don't think i wan't to buy the nissan as they are overpriced and some have had failures even with the new motors!

also, please provide part number for suggested manufacturer on driver's side window if possible.

thanks in advance for everyone's help and especially keeping this post going. really does suck to have this problem and i am surprised nissan has not done a recall. car not under warranty so dealer wants 500 to replace the motor.

rw out
Old 08-20-2007, 12:13 PM
03ZHIFT

Im having trouble with the alignment of the window tracks. Can someone please pm me with some tips and maybe a photo of how it goes back together. The tracks were working fine before i screwed with it.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:29 AM
03ZHIFT

nevermind, I got it back together, but it was almost worth buying a new regulator. A little more investigating and I found out that the wires on the pulley were off track.
I pulled the whole assembly off the window,
pried off the brackey on the pulley,
welded studs to the bracket that screws to the motor,
rewound the wire to the pulley
put nuts on the studs and tightened it down
reinstalled the assembly

Works better now than ever, but Im going to go ahead and buy the new assembly since I'm sure its on borrowed time. What a crappy way to engineer a motor and regulator.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:52 AM
speego

Thumbs up Just like the tutorial

Thank you people of my350z.com for save me $$$ three digits. Like the pic tutorial, I open my driver door, clean the window motor, reset the motor and leave it working perfect. It was very dirty and take me 2 hours for the whole work.

thanks again....
Old 08-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Jcolman

Originally Posted by speego
Thank you people of my350z.com for save me $$$ three digits. Like the pic tutorial, I open my driver door, clean the window motor, reset the motor and leave it working perfect. It was very dirty and take me 2 hours for the whole work.

thanks again....
Hopefully your repair will last. Many of them don't last more than a few weeks and people end up replacing the motor altogether.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Zmoney

Mine has been workin for 5 months and counting... now that i say this im sure it will go out!
Old 08-22-2007, 05:27 PM
zxpwr

Originally Posted by Zmoney
Mine has been workin for 5 months and counting... now that i say this im sure it will go out!
happened to me...

after i posted here it stopped working.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:09 PM
naptime

My passenger side window started acting up and it would go down, but it wouldn't go up. Just like the others, I'd bang on the door or wait till later and the window would work again. Some days it would work, but most of the time it only goes down.
thanks to this write-up, i'm not afraid to roll my window down anymore. let's see how long it keeps working
i sanded down the part of the motor where the brushes make contact. it was pretty black from the carbon buildup. cleaned it with q-tip, rubbing alcohol, and a can of air duster.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:04 AM
350Eazy

well my passenger window motor went out as well. did a little research for part prices and believe it or not, autozone has a motor for $140 plus a $30 core. its probably a reconditioned part, but they do have a warranty on it. its a little easier on the wallet than the $300 everyone is talking about
Old 09-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Road Warrior

my dealer is going to try and charge me $110 for diagnostics

my motor won't budge so i just wanted to replace motor. he is trying to tell me it could be the regulator so they need to do a diagnostics.

do the regulators go out or just the motors?

i don't want to pay an extra $110 for them to say it is the motor or the regulator...probably no work to be done here since they have the door apart anyways.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:20 AM
350redline

Cant finish reading this up at work....subscribing!
Old 09-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Casey

Anyone recommend a place to get a reman motor in Canada?

I just went to Nissan and they want $425 CDN for it. At that price it is less money to drive down to Seattle and pick one up at Autozone (and I get a road trip out of it)

Last edited by Casey; 09-10-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:08 PM
derekinthez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pass Window Motor Out

It's still under warranty at 26k with a month too spare. Maybe I should start thinking about purchasing the extended warranty?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:54 AM
350redline

Well I cleaned the motor, put it back together and it worked for a day...

When it got stuck down i had to hold the switch up and bang on the door to get it to roll back up!!!

Im just gonna keep it up until i can afford to get a new motor.

Quick Reply: Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)